Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Sales tax has always been where the CUSTOMER takes possession.

Sales tax in my county is slightly less than the adjacent county. If I go to a store in that other county and buy something that I take home myself, I pay the higher tax rate. If I buy something that they deliver to my home (furniture, for example) then I pay the lower tax rate where my home is located.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
273 Posts
Do people who buy GM pay sales tax in Detroit? Don't think so the tax is based on where the sale is taking place, like in NJ. You pay the tax for NJ when you buy something even if you buy it from out of state, if you take delivery in NJ.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sales tax has always been where the CUSTOMER takes possession.

Sales tax in my county is slightly less than the adjacent county. If I go to a store in that other county and buy something that I take home myself, I pay the higher tax rate. If I buy something that they deliver to my home (furniture, for example) then I pay the lower tax rate where my home is located.
That's not how it works with registered motor vehicles. I've bought vehicles (both new and used) out of state, and paid sales tax when I registered them at home. Even better, I totally avoided sales tax on buying dirt bikes out of state!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
That's not how it works with registered motor vehicles. I've bought vehicles (both new and used) out of state, and paid sales tax when I registered them at home. Even better, I totally avoided sales tax on buying dirt bikes out of state!
If your dealer didn't want to deal with it, sure, it falls on you to pay when you register. The dealers I worked with did the paperwork and they did a LOT of out of state deals. For many customers, that's important, because they may want to put less down than will cover the taxes.

If you scammed the government by not paying taxes that were owed, then I don't have much to say other than shame on you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Considering our state government, I suspect most, if not all of the taxes will go to the state. I don't recall ever paying local taxes when purchasing a car in the state and don't see how Bloomington-Normal would see any proceeds of the taxes.

At state level, I suspect you pay taxes for where car will be registered. Purchased a RV out-of-state last month and got hit with the tax bill when I went to register it. The state I purchased it from didn't see any of the taxes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.