Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any current/future Salt Lakers worried about the charging infrastructure east…out in the Unitas? I like to hike, snowmobile, etc all the way east - out by Vernal. There is one level 3 charger in Vernal, and it’s notoriously broken.

I have a call with a guide tomorrow, seriously considering max pack or cancelling my order. I’d be willing to give Rivian half the cost of a max pack if they’d put a charger or two out in the Unitas.

maybe if we have a decent number of SLC Rivian enthusiasts…we could make this happen!

·
Registered
R1S LE in LE Green & Forest Edge (8/14/2019 Preorder) Oct-Dec 2022 Arrival
216 Posts
Any current/future Salt Lakers worried about the charging infrastructure east…out in the Unitas? I like to hike, snowmobile, etc all the way east - out by Vernal. There is one level 3 charger in Vernal, and it’s notoriously broken.

I have a call with a guide tomorrow, seriously considering max pack or cancelling my order. I’d be willing to give Rivian half the cost of a max pack if they’d put a charger or two out in the Unitas.

maybe if we have a decent number of SLC Rivian enthusiasts…we could make this happen!
Fellow SLC service center person. Looking to explore the Uintas as well!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used to live in Vernal, and would highly suggest the max pack. That area is notorious for getting stuck in a storm or road issues on highway 40, in which that extra range would be life or death.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My in-laws live in Vernal, so I travel there from Utah county nearly monthly. I have a Tesla M3P and it barely makes it every time. Blows my mind no one has decided to put a fast charger between Provo and Vernal.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Might be worth a letter to Vernal Town Council and Chamber of Commerce. Give them some links to infrastructure bill grants to put in chargers. Make sure you tell them fast DC chargers. At a couple of the restaraunts and hotels....tell them how much you plan to spend etc.

I see a lot EV's in SLC and PC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would temper any expectations of the local government putting chargers in. That area is very pro fossil fuel as it’s the industry their local economy relies on most. I have a sister who married into a family from there and she’s lived in Vernal for a few decades. The way they talk about things like that out there is a little crazy, so I don’t think any “economic benefit of charging stations” discussion is going to go anywhere with them.
I personally would love to see Vernal and up north on I-80 get more charging stations, I’m just not optimistic of it happening without some outside entity footing the bill.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would temper any expectations of the local government putting chargers in. That area is very pro fossil fuel as it’s the industry their local economy relies on most. I have a sister who married into a family from there and she’s lived in Vernal for a few decades. The way they talk about things like that out there is a little crazy, so I don’t think any “economic benefit of charging stations” discussion is going to go anywhere with them.
I personally would love to see Vernal and up north on I-80 get more charging stations, I’m just not optimistic of it happening without some outside entity footing the bill.
That would probably explain why the 1 DC charger in Vernal is broken…with no attempt to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Evanston EA station opened a couple of weeks ago.

I did a loop today from Park City up the Mirror Lake Highway (UT-150) to Evanston and then back on I-80 thru Echo Canyon. Hit a pretty bad snow squall just past Mirror Lake that limited visibility to about 50 ft. Is it June yet? 🤷‍♂️

I could have made the whole loop without charging, but decided to add some juice at the new EA in Evanston nonetheless. Worked like a champ 👍.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would temper any expectations of the local government putting chargers in.
Give them a chance to prove you wrong. With Tesla there'd be 10% that would say they didn't get it for the zero emissions but power and speed and espouse doubt on the global warming science but you got the idea that was a cover for their social set. So you might find more than you think looking at EV's in Vernal and looking for an excuse to get one and support them.

The chargers should be a good business proposition. Federal government kicks in substantial aid, they make money on the charging and they make money on the EV drivers staying at hotels, eating at restaurants, use the bike trails, get clothes, gear, supplies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sadly, this is likely the situation in the Vernal area. Very pro-fossil fuel and some less-than-progressive thinkers on those city councils. Maybe someday they'll catch up...because there is great country to explore in that region.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sadly, this is likely the situation in the Vernal area. Very pro-fossil fuel and some less-than-progressive thinkers on those city councils. Maybe someday they'll catch up...because there is great country to explore in that region.
You keep selling UT short. I see a LOT of EV's in UT and it's not my EV glasses.

CarMax and JD Power note the geographic imbalance when it comes to EV adoption in the US. Washington, California, Utah, Arizona, and Oregon saw CarMax's highest EV sales between the start of Q4

·
Registered
18 Posts
Um… I’m not sure how I’m ‘selling UT short’.
Maybe you meant to reply to a different post?
I only mentioned that Vernal (and surrounding area) isn’t likely to install a lot of charging stations anytime soon.
I love the EV adoption in Utah and can’t wait for my R1S.
so… ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
481 Posts
I only mentioned that Vernal (and surrounding area) isn’t likely to install a lot of charging stations anytime soon.
And I think that sells them short especially without contacting the Vernal Chamber of Commerce and town council with why they should take advantage of the high EV rate in UT, Federal money to build out charging stations and tourist dollars from the EV'ers in terms of visits and the charging itself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts