Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sandy Munro Has High Expectations Of Aptera, Says It’s “Creating A New Industry”

I'm not sure whether getting a thumbs up from Munro is good or bad for Aptera, but his take on the vehicle's appeal and utility are at least interesting. While it's pretty hyperbolic to claim that Aptera will create a "new industry", I do think that Aptera is on to something. The tricycle configuration and the Jetson's exterior are likely to dampen their appeal however. Personally, as a disciple of the "form follows function" design school and a motorcyclist, I'm not bothered by the looks and comfortable with the three-wheel configuration.

In the video, Munro opines that Aptera will scale up more rapidly than the company's public projections, and that demand will grow rapidly once deliveries begin. Aptera is now in the final stages of development of their Gamma version and expects to begin delivery in late 2023 or early 2024, so we don't have too long of a wait to see if Munro is correct.

In the interest of full disclosure, I need to admit to having a reservation in for the 400 mile AWD version with the full solar panel option. I initially reserved the Aptera more or less on a lark, but now think that the vehicle will see service as a primary means of local transportation, and perhaps even for some longer trips that don't require a lot of luggage. Will also be interesting to see whether an Aptera or a Rivian becomes my first EV.

· Registered
162 Posts
I wouldn't mind driving the Aptera back and forth to work. I go less than 40 miles round trip and I live in Phoenix, so it would work for me. What about air conditioning and heat? Did I hear correctly that its range is 250 miles?
Not sure how safe it is on a freeway. I'd be worried about side impacts. Not worried about the 3 wheel config. That setup is reasonably stable.

· Registered
50 Posts
I disagree with Sandy, Maybe he meant to say "New Market" not new Industry! The slingshot has been out for years, Gas powered 3 wheel vehicle, This is just an EV version of the same thing but now with a roof. They've just making a better mouse trap. Telsa never created a New Industry! They created a new market.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts