Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It will be hard to watch when it happens, but also intriguing. This is just an overview for now.

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanna know why I didn’t get that special French Battery Pack option!
You know it shouldn't be in French but in Starbuckese: Grande, Venti, Trente, etc...just never get the demi or short - you're guaranteed to run out of power as soon as you start.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I like what I see!! The clickbaity headline "too much structure" is answered in the affirmative, but I think it's for defensible reasons. They needed to get a solid product to market, and so they overengineered it without spending 90% of effort on the last 10% of results.

More material and more assembly complexity than necessary, but a solid design and good predicted crash performance. So yes, compared to optimal it's a bit heavier, it is more costly with regards to materials and parts, and it's more complex to assemble; which can all be optimized with time.

I also liked the point that, being a 'startup', they don't have legacy constraints. Which might also explain the surprising "hybrid" architecture of body-on-frame / unibody ... and other design choices.

Overall, great video, very thoughtful and insightful.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
In this new video they analyze the instrument panel:
Instrument Panel Analysis | Rivian R1T Teardown
Carl and Scott analyze the engineering and manufacturing of the Rivian R1T instrument panel (IP). They discuss notable issues, areas for improvement, and commend the best elements of the design.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That's an awesome one. High density of information and reasonably entertaining. Watch at 1.5x speed.

Edit: another assessment, admittedly from the same site/business (though from different people), that is basically "you're getting a great vehicle for a deal."

Overall excellent design and execution, very appealing. There are a few things that are suboptimal in terms of design efficiency, but that just means that they erred on the side of overegineering; which means that pre-Sept2021 reservation holders are getting a great deal, and so do post- even if not quite as good! Interesting discussion about legacy influence vs younger newbies in the talent pool of the company.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts