Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, I owned a Model 3 (for a short time). Absolutely hated its interface / driver functionality. It was designed to be a driverless car with almost everything required to be controlled from the center screen. Hated it so much that I dumped the car in just a couple of months and went back to the FAR more driver friendly Model S. Now sadly, Tesla has doubled down on the Model 3 interface, and then some with the refreshed Model S. That combined with that Yoke thing, ensured that my current Tesla will by my last.

I've been eagerly looking forward to the Rivian. No doubt, full steam ahead. Until.....I read the Motor Trend articles that basically demonstrate that the interior of the Rivian's interface and controls are very much like the Model 3. Motor Trend gave it a glowing review, EXCEPT for the driver friendly functions. The same reason I dumped the Model 3 may now, very sadly, prevent me from buying the Rivian. With deliveries coming next month, appears its too late to change this.

I want a few buttons for instant access to certain everyday controls, (radio, glove box, AC, wipers, mirrors, tilt / telescope, Auto Pilot / Lane Keep Assist / Super Cruise / Driver+ / etc). But, sounds as though nearly everything will need to be controlled through the screen and two buttons/wheels on the steering wheel, just like the Model 3. Including the simple task of adjusting the AC vents. Which means you have to reset the "use" of the buttons / wheels each time. Hence, if you set them to control the mirrors or tilt/telescope, you'll have to reset them to control the radio again.

These vehicles still require drivers. They need to be driver friendly in function and form, especially on an "Adventure" vehicle. The Model 3 was far from it. I've never had a car annoy me so much as did the Model 3. Aside from the ugliness of the CyberTruck, it's the reason why that vehicle was immediately dropped from my list of potential purchases.

I hope I'm wrong and Rivian can find a way to make it better than the Model 3's interface and function, but, where I was full speed ahead toward the Rivian on a wide open path, a brick wall has just popped up in front of me. I feel like Wile E Coyote that just went SPLAT!

The Ford F-150 and Hummer EV just became contenders again! So disappointed to see that part of Motor Trend's review. (They didn't like it either and most complaints about the Model 3 are consistent across the board). For my daily needs and use of the vehicle, this could sadly be a deal breaker for me.

A few seamlessly integrated buttons can be done so easily and maintain the apparent desired minimalist approach these guys seem to be heading. I want controls I can find and feel with instinct, not those I have to go fumbling through multiple menus on the center screen, just to do something that would otherwise be done on instinct, without a second thought given to it.
😥😪

·
Registered
8 Posts
Until.....I read the Motor Trend articles that basically demonstrate that the interior of the Rivian's interface and controls are very much like the Model 3.
I'm not sure why this is a surprise. It's been pretty clear since the vehicles were announced that there are no physical buttons.

And it's probably better compared to the Model S/X as there is a display in front on the driver.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ugh, I owned a Model 3 (for a short time). Absolutely hated its interface / driver functionality. It was designed to be a driverless car with almost everything required to be controlled from the center screen. Hated it so much that I dumped the car in just a couple of months and went back to the FAR more driver friendly Model S. Now sadly, Tesla has doubled down on the Model 3 interface, and then some with the refreshed Model S. That combined with that Yoke thing, ensured that my current Tesla will by my last.

I've been eagerly looking forward to the Rivian. No doubt, full steam ahead. Until.....I read the Motor Trend articles that basically demonstrate that the interior of the Rivian's interface and controls are very much like the Model 3. Motor Trend gave it a glowing review, EXCEPT for the driver friendly functions. The same reason I dumped the Model 3 may now, very sadly, prevent me from buying the Rivian. With deliveries coming next month, appears its too late to change this.

I want a few buttons for instant access to certain everyday controls, (radio, glove box, AC, wipers, mirrors, tilt / telescope, Auto Pilot / Lane Keep Assist / Super Cruise / Driver+ / etc). But, sounds as though nearly everything will need to be controlled through the screen and two buttons/wheels on the steering wheel, just like the Model 3. Including the simple task of adjusting the AC vents. Which means you have to reset the "use" of the buttons / wheels each time. Hence, if you set them to control the mirrors or tilt/telescope, you'll have to reset them to control the radio again.

These vehicles still require drivers. They need to be driver friendly in function and form, especially on an "Adventure" vehicle. The Model 3 was far from it. I've never had a car annoy me so much as did the Model 3. Aside from the ugliness of the CyberTruck, it's the reason why that vehicle was immediately dropped from my list of potential purchases.

I hope I'm wrong and Rivian can find a way to make it better than the Model 3's interface and function, but, where I was full speed ahead toward the Rivian on a wide open path, a brick wall has just popped up in front of me. I feel like Wile E Coyote that just went SPLAT!

The Ford F-150 and Hummer EV just became contenders again! So disappointed to see that part of Motor Trend's review. (They didn't like it either and most complaints about the Model 3 are consistent across the board). For my daily needs and use of the vehicle, this could sadly be a deal breaker for me.

A few seamlessly integrated buttons can be done so easily and maintain the apparent desired minimalist approach these guys seem to be heading. I want controls I can find and feel with instinct, not those I have to go fumbling through multiple menus on the center screen, just to do something that would otherwise be done on instinct, without a second thought given to it.
😥😪
Here's some news for you - GM shutting down production at most of its plants in North America

Good luck with that Hummer front runner selection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Current Model 3 owner here, and don't care if I'm voicing the minority opinion here... I love the Model 3 interface. It's function, modern, and oh by the way... Always getting better! If I wanted a static product that harkens back to 1995, I'd drive a Porsche. I'm thrilled Rivian followed Tesla's lead here. Kudos!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Current Model 3 owner here, and don't care if I'm voicing the minority opinion here... I love the Model 3 interface. It's function, modern, and oh by the way... Always getting better! If I wanted a static product that harkens back to 1995, I'd drive a Porsche. I'm thrilled Rivian followed Tesla's lead here. Kudos!
And yet Tesla still hasn't been able to figure out how to deliver 360 camera view? It's been how many years?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And yet Tesla still hasn't been able to figure out how to deliver 360 camera view? It's been how many years?
Everybody's use is different. I work out of my car. I hate having to go the screen for EVERYTHING, with most things requiring multiple taps to get there. Things as simple as the glove box. Wiper controls. Setting the mirrors. Simply tilting the wheel. All multiple step items that are a simple single touch away in very other car.

I pray that at a minimum, Rivian won't be stubborn like Tesla is. Tesla hates to give us any options to configure things to our personal use and preference needs. If Rivian will at least allow us to choose particular icons that occupy the bottom row of the screen, then we can put our "favorites" or "bookmarks" and make the items we use most a single tap away. In that respect, could totally live with having to go the screen for EVERYTHING. I just hate having to go through multiple steps on so many things that should otherwise be no thought items.

And COMMODOREAMI, nor do they have simple waypoints. Something Elon has promised to provide for years. Yet, clearly has some grudge against them. He has begrudgingly agreed to add them, but then never does. You used to be able to chose which windows were up on the screen and where they were placed. Tesla took that away too. Tesla certainly has the cameras to do a 360 degree view. Why they don't? Because someone probably told him he has to do it, so now he won't.

·
Registered
14 Posts

😥😪
That's just your opinion, of course. Most people get used to it (being a non-traditional design) and then rely on muscle memory, as most people do with any new interface they get used to. And I love that rivian is going in that direction as well. Out with the old and in with the new!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love everything about my Model 3 EXCEPT the wipers. I really hope Rivian both uses a real rain sensor for the wipers AND gives us proper stalk controls like every other car on the road. I've nearly gotten into accidents numerous times due to the 3 not turning on the wipers in HEAVY rain. So then I have to dig through menu options to get them to go at high-speed, which has been necessary in some Texas downpours. Other than that, what could you possibly need buttons for? How often do you actually change HVAC? Shit, I occasionally change the temp by one or two degrees, but it otherwise just stays on automatic all the time. Radio controls are easy as-is, too, since there is a hardware knob on the wheel. Autopilot is also very easy to enable/disable. I totally understand preferring hte tactile feel of real buttons and knobs, but to say they're necessary for so many things, I don't agree with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I noted, while I do personally prefer physical buttons I can instinctively feel for without a second thought or distraction of any kind, especially for wipers, tilt wheel, mirrors, glove box (all items I use daily, being in my car for more than half the day) a good trade off would be Rivian (or any other manufacturer going in the minimalist direction) to at least offer the ability for customers to configure preferred icons at the bottom of the screen so the most frequently used items can be placed just a single touch away. While it wouldn't necessarily be my preferred method, it would at least be a method that would satisfy both sides and make the vehicle much more user friendly, rather than having to focus through multiple menu options to reach things that are otherwise so simple to access on most cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another Model 3 owner and I love the simplicity of the menu. While there are some buttons that I would prefer elsewhere, I think having configurable icons is dangerous; while driving, I always know where all the buttons are that I need, I don't want someone reconfiguring my buttons (or the buttons getting accidentally reconfigured) and then needing to go hunting for one that I need (I also hate when Tesla decides to reconfigure the buttons). I agree adjusting the mirrors and steering wheel are a PITA, but I can't remember the last time I did either. My biggest issue with the 3 is the lack of binnacle, I thought I could get used to it but after over 3 years, still bothers me (and was made worse when Tesla decided to reduce the size of the GPS map on the center screen with all that wasted space used to show lanes).

·
Registered
14 Posts
...was made worse when Tesla decided to reduce the size of the GPS map on the center screen with all that wasted space used to show lanes).
Agreed! I don't need all that space for fancy animation. I'd rather see more of the map and just about everything else. I hope Rivian deviates with this aspect a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tonight's update on my Model 3... All thanks to a software-first approach
  • New car wash mode
  • New auto dimming mirrors
  • New Disney+ addition to the theater
  • Improvements to dashcam function
  • UI presentation improvements on remaining range
  • New WiFi connectivity option
  • Bug fixes
In prior releases, a whole new theater option, new sentry mode, new Joe mode, battery efficiency improvements, user interface improvements, new cold weather mode, new dog mode, new Spotify Premium option, new YouTube theater, etc. Amount of cash out of my pocket for these enhancements? $0.

See the point?

Let's contrast that with my wife's button-laden 2019 Acura RDX... Same as the day we drove it off the lot.

I do agree with several points made here though... the "rain sensing" wipers could be way better (despite improvements made over the years), access to wiper speed on a physical control would be very welcome, glovebox release, and yes, a 360 degree camera view... All would be improvements to the Tesla experience. I hope Rivian finds a better balance point, but I'm squarely in the corner of more software, fewer buttons.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Let's contrast that with my wife's button-laden 2019 Acura RDX... Same as the day we drove it off the lot.
Acura has released OTA updates for the RDX. They’re not even close to as dramatic as what Tesla has done — but they do exist. Android Auto, for example, did not exist in the RDX, at launch; it was added many months later via OTA update. I recall test-driving a RDX when they were new and the navigation lacked the ability to choose alternate routes. This was added via OTA update, as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Tesla Model S
Tonight's update on my Model 3... All thanks to a software-first approach
  • New car wash mode
  • New auto dimming mirrors
  • New Disney+ addition to the theater
  • Improvements to dashcam function
  • UI presentation improvements on remaining range
  • New WiFi connectivity option
  • Bug fixes
In prior releases, a whole new theater option, new sentry mode, new Joe mode, battery efficiency improvements, user interface improvements, new cold weather mode, new dog mode, new Spotify Premium option, new YouTube theater, etc. Amount of cash out of my pocket for these enhancements? $0.

See the point?

I do agree with several points made here though... the "rain sensing" wipers could be way better (despite improvements made over the years), access to wiper speed on a physical control would be very welcome, glovebox release, and yes, a 360 degree camera view... All would be improvements to the Tesla experience. I hope Rivian finds a better balance point, but I'm squarely in the corner of more software, fewer buttons.
My Tesla Model S, which has a glove box button neatly integrated into the dash, wiper stalks, mirror controls on the door, a blinker stalk, an AP stalk, a tilt/telescope stalk got all the same updates as you mentioned above. One has nothing to do with the other.

And to the poster who worried about someone moving his icons around??? Really. LOL. How many people are going to get into your car and purposely go through the necessary menus and confirmations required to permanently move an icon you use daily to the lower menu bar? And for what purpose! That one was funny. I'd much rather have the choice to put a few critical icons I use daily in an easy access place, just one-touch away.

Cars are getting easier to use with time. All those arguing is better, always have to preface it with come things that could be better as well, thus it's not perfect. With today's technology, there's no reason in the world we can't make it ALL improved rather than having to sacrifice some things for others. There are ways to do both!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree 100% that a UI with no physical buttons is a non-starter for me, and I will likely go with the F-150 instead. It feels bad, because I've been so excited about the Rivian.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I agree 100% that a UI with no physical buttons is a non-starter for me, and I will likely go with the F-150 instead. It feels bad, because I've been so excited about the Rivian.
Welcome to the forum @greensun

The F-150 Lightning is a great alternative. Did you spec one out yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Remember when you could walk into a hotel and they would have a list on a board of which meeting room your conference was in?

Then ... the geniuses decided to get a monitor ... except the monitor can only have so many conference rooms on it at one time to be readable ... resulting in people having to wait for the screen to scroll to the next set of meeting rooms ... and then the next set. And that was progress?

Not having eyes-on-the-road access to wiper speed on a physical control? What an awful design decision. Talk about screwing the pooch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
F-150 Lightning has a big touch screen. But they also incorporated a physical button/wheel/dial into the screen. I've played with the same setup in a Mach-E. I hated it. Fords are such comfortable rides, but their screen UI is terrible.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Fords are such comfortable rides, but their screen UI is terrible.
I recently test drove a F150 Hybrid and my experience was the opposite. Sync4 was “okay”. Not the best system, but it was functional. The ride was really bad, however. So bouncy! I was spoiled by the mangeride in my Sierra.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts