Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I got a ceramic coating put on my porsche for scratch resistance and to help keep the finish looking great long term. At first, I didn't think I saw the value in it, but the car has remained scratch free and it shines like brand new with a simple home wash and wipe to this day. I shouldn't have to wax it for another few years. I swore to get the coating on any brand new car I get moving forward.
I thought about getting my new Rivian done on day one. But being that this is designed to go off-road as an adventure vehicle, I'm curious if there is anything special about the external material or finish that may help prevent scratches or dings over time. I haven't seen any information online or on the website about it.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on PPF (paint protection film) wrapping my R1T to prevent chips and scratches. You can go with traditional clear, or matte films to spice it up and you are also able to ceramic coat over the PPF to enhance the shine, and make washing a breeze!

XPEL | Paint Protection Film | ULTIMATE PLUS | Self-Healing Clear Bra | High Gloss PPF
Yep, exactly the material I have on my other car. A little pricey, but it works great to protect your investment. I plan on wrapping our Rivian.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's true, but a truck you want to keep looking good for as long as possible, to make easier to clean.
At the detail shop near me that does this work, I see lots of brand new trucks that they wrap.
Folks know they'll be taking their vehicles into work zones and off-roading, and are being proactive.
I'd rather pay up front for the protection, than to pay to fix dings and scratches throughout the life of the vehicle.
My personal opinion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's true, but a truck you want to keep looking good for as long as possible, to make easier to clean.
At the detail shop near me that does this work, I see lots of brand new trucks that they wrap.
Folks know they'll be taking their vehicles into work zones and off-roading, and are being proactive.
I'd rather pay up front for the protection, than to pay to fix dings and scratches throughout the life of the vehicle.
My personal opinion.
Agreed! Cars/Trucks are in substantial expense, and I'd rather keep them nice and clean for as long as I own them. I'll be that guy parked in the back corner of the lot...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Is anyone going to get paint correction or any sort of paint work done to make sure it's flawless before putting PPF over it? It can add a lot to the overall cost but so worth it in the end!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is anyone going to get paint correction or any sort of paint work done to make sure it's flawless before putting PPF over it? It can add a lot to the overall cost but so worth it in the end!
When I had my Panamera done, the shop did a good 'wheels off' detail and paint correction. But that car was a few years old at that point and did have a few little nicks to correct. Because the the Rivian will be brand new, I'll be disappointed if there are any chips or corrections that will be needed. At most I'm expecting that it will have to be detailed.

·
Registered
737 Posts
When I had my Panamera done, the shop did a good 'wheels off' detail and paint correction. But that car was a few years old at that point and did have a few little nicks to correct. Because the the Rivian will be brand new, I'll be disappointed if there are any chips or corrections that will be needed. At most I'm expecting that it will have to be detailed.
I have never seen a production vehicle with flawless paint. Every new vehicle will have some issues that can be addressed by a high end detailer.

Whether you care to do so is another matter. Most people are perfectly happy with the quality of paint on a new vehicle -- or at least aren't bothered enough to pay to fix it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Are you going to add PPF or just have it detailed by someone?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello R99, definitely going to add PPF.
I'm sure the shop will recommend that it be detailed first to ensure it's clean and polished before PPF is added. You don't want to trap any dirt, dust, or smudges beneath the film. It will be trapped there forever. I just probably won't worry about paint corrections or touch-ups on the new truck. The car needed some touch-ups, there were a few nicks that needed correcting before PPF application.

Here's a pic of my Porsche after a simple light soap and water rinse at home. A perfect shine after about 2 years of having the PPF. It's super easy to keep clean!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello R99, definitely going to add PPF.
I'm sure the shop will recommend that it be detailed first to ensure it's clean and polished before PPF is added. You don't want to trap any dirt, dust, or smudges beneath the film. It will be trapped there forever. I just probably won't worry about paint corrections or touch-ups on the new truck. The car needed some touch-ups, there were a few nicks that needed correcting before PPF application.

Here's a pic of my Porsche after a simple light soap and water rinse at home. A perfect shine after about 2 years of having the PPF. It's super easy to keep clean!
View attachment 2488
I just spoke to the shop near my house that did my car.
For a new vehicle, they would not recommend a full detail with color correction, but would wash and prep. For the Gold Package, they quoted me $1,000 to do the new truck.
I'll be going this route. I'll also have them tint the front driver and passenger door windows to match the back while it's there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts