Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new owner here. I am planning on keeping my truck in storage for a few weeks while traveling over the summer. I am new to EVs and could use some advice:

What is the best way to set up charging while the car is in storage? Will the battery drain on its own? Do I need the 110V charger plugged in? (No "real" charger at home so would have to use the 110V charger that came with the truck).

Thanks for any and all advice to keep the truck humming while I'm gone!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi all, new owner here. I am planning on keeping my truck in storage for a few weeks while traveling over the summer. I am new to EVs and could use some advice:

What is the best way to set up charging while the car is in storage? Will the battery drain on its own? Do I need the 110V charger plugged in? (No "real" charger at home so would have to use the 110V charger that came with the truck).

Thanks for any and all advice to keep the truck humming while I'm gone!
One thing you should check is what is the default amp draw for the vehicle when plugged into the charger for 110 volt. There was one person testing some TT-30 adapters and every time they plugged the charger in it defaulted to 48 amps. That could be an issue if you have a power outage and it defaults to a higher amp when the power comes back on.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
One thing you should check is what is the default amp draw for the vehicle when plugged into the charger for 110 volt. There was one person testing some TT-30 adapters and every time they plugged the charger in it defaulted to 48 amps. That could be an issue if you have a power outage and it defaults to a higher amp when the power comes back on.
It's 12A when using 110V, afaik.

·
Registered
562 Posts
One thing you should check is what is the default amp draw for the vehicle when plugged into the charger for 110 volt.
This is a total non-issue for the described configuration.

The OP is using the included Rivian portable charger on a normal 120V outlet. The current is automatically controlled and you should not be setting it from the Rivian screen with this configuration.

Plugging into a TT-30 is totally different because you need a specially wired non-Rivian adapter which makes the EVSE believe it is plugged into a NEMA 14-50 - the Rivian will automatically adjust the current draw with that assumption. You then have to tell the vehicle no, you can't really use 40amps, there are only 24amps available from this outlet.

To answer the original question - just leave it plugged into the 120V wall outlet if you have one available. If you are leaving it for two weeks then the battery will stay at the charging level you've set (70% is good).

If you don't have a 120V wall outlet, I believe there is "vehicle shipping mode" which will shut down everything, preventing vampire drain of the battery while you're gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts