Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is ridiculous. We pretty much can’t trust any delivery date Rivian provides us at this point. Us long-term pre-order customers should be getting some type of special discount. Especially for the 0% interest loan we provided Rivian. I want my damn Truck! I’ll even drive a test mule at this point.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I feel bad for LE reservation holders... But as a Max pack holder, I'm really frustrated. At this point, I don't trust that I'll have an offer to take delivery even next year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And you know what really ticks me off, in that email they didn’t bother to explain the reasoning behind the delay and why they feel they can make the new September target date.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sure, delays are frustrating, but really, if the September or even November date is realistic for deliveries, considering all that's gone on in the world that nobody could have expected, to only be 3-5 months off on their estimate!!! All of the big manufacturers are experiencing delays too. 3-5 months, isn't that bad at all for a start up company that's been working on these cars for years now. Yes, any delay sucks, but in the grand scheme of things, 3-5 months is nothing. Tesla has never been within 3-5 months of their estimates and they've been in production for 9 years. Time will tell if they make it by September or November. But if they do, we should praise them rather than complain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I feel bad for LE reservation holders... But as a Max pack holder, I'm really frustrated. At this point, I don't trust that I'll have an offer to take delivery even next year.
Agreed. Disappointed they didn't give any details about the rest of the launch schedule. In an email where he discusses improving transparency we now have less information on how the roll out will happen. And could we even trust them if they did.

They really dropped the ball when the delayed from June to July. They should have just delayed further the first time around and we would all be a lot happier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think a big contributor to these delays are a result of all those damn Vans they have to build for Amazon. If they didn’t have to prioritize those orders a lot of us would have our trucks by now. I’m freakin pissed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
And you know what really ticks me off, in that email they didn’t bother to explain the reasoning behind the delay and why they feel they can make the new September target date.

There are many reasons why our production ramp is taking longer than expected. The cascading impacts of the pandemic have had a compounding effect greater than anyone anticipated. Everything from facility construction, to equipment installation, to vehicle component supply (especially semiconductors) has been impacted by the pandemic. Beyond these unforeseen challenges, launching three new vehicles while setting up a multi-vehicle manufacturing plant is a complex orchestra of coordinated and interlinked activities where small issues can translate into ramp delays.

·
Registered
737 Posts
There are many reasons why our production ramp is taking longer than expected. The cascading impacts of the pandemic have had a compounding effect greater than anyone anticipated. Everything from facility construction, to equipment installation, to vehicle component supply (especially semiconductors) has been impacted by the pandemic. Beyond these unforeseen challenges, launching three new vehicles while setting up a multi-vehicle manufacturing plant is a complex orchestra of coordinated and interlinked activities where small issues can translate into ramp delays.
Those reasons are almost certainly not the true and full picture, however. They still can't even show us what the infotainment system is like. Chip shortages, construction, and equipment don't affect their ability to do that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sure, delays are frustrating, but really, if the September or even November date is realistic for deliveries, considering all that's gone on in the world that nobody could have expected, to only be 3-5 months off on their estimate!!! All of the big manufacturers are experiencing delays too. 3-5 months, isn't that bad at all for a start up company that's been working on these cars for years now. Yes, any delay sucks, but in the grand scheme of things, 3-5 months is nothing. Tesla has never been within 3-5 months of their estimates and they've been in production for 9 years. Time will tell if they make it by September or November. But if they do, we should praise them rather than complain.
Agreed. When we all placed a deposit down to reserve one of these EAVs, we also took on the risk that there could be delays (among many other things) ... even under the best of conditions. We are STILL in mist of a pandemic that has affected the global economy and clearly Rivian, it's supply partners, and then their supply partners and so on, have not been exempt. There are factors beyond Rivian's control, which now also includes a microchip shortage. RJ touches on all of this:

I had, and continue, to adjust my expectations. And TBH, what RJ wrote is about what I expected. Do I wish he provided more more detail, certainly, but not surprised there isn't in this highly competitive industry. I'm a relatively early R1S LE reservation holder. I shifted my expectation months ago that I wouldn't take delivery until 2022. Was I hoping Rivian would be less affected and be able to start producing vehicles when they said, absolutely! I can either complain and/or cancel my reservation or stick with them by continuing to support them. That doesn't mean I'm not going to provide critical feedback to them, in forums, etc., like with their lack of communications, which RJ has admitted to that they need to do a better job of in that area. We shall see. But in the meantime, they still have my support. When I feel it's no longer warranted, I cancel my reservation, wish Rivian well and walk away, but I'm not there yet. Perhaps other have reached that point, which is fine, we all have different situations and need to proceed accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
428 Posts
I’m not surprised, and appreciate the clear communication. My main disappointment is not so much the delay (which I fully expected), but rather that RJ acknowledged their piss poor communications yet did not say they will be do better in that regard. The email actually improves my confidence in Rivian, which had taken a big hit over the past several months. Good job Rivian, and please keep these types of communications coming! 👏 👍

Reactions: ginztoy

·
Registered
97 Posts
This delay is not unexpected; what upsets me is the communication. Question for the Rivian community: How did you find out about the delay? In the announcement, while playing what can only be seen as lip service to the poor communication, RJ implies that Rivian notified their customers. Did you get an email - because I certainly didn't.

Rivan surely has known that they would not make the July date for some time. Yet no announcement was made until the middle of the month. And it's just an announcement, with no real detail about anything. Maybe they could have told folks about how many R1T's will deliver in September and how many by the end of the year. R1S LE customers are told that their vehicles will follow later in the Fall. How much later? Very disappointing to see Rivian slide more and more into being another Tesla.

While I do not intend to cancel my order, I am not counting on seeing my R1S Max Pack - which I can't even configure until sometime in 2022 - in my driveway until late 2024. Even that is probably optimistic. I suspect that the Rivian IPO will happen during that timeframe, and will have a highly disruptive effect on the company as top management focuses more on that very big pocketbook issue rather than concentrating on production and delivery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I seen that, but frankly I’m tired in general of companies using covid as a blanket excuse for not delivering on expectations and Custsomer service. I mean the previous delay was for 1 month, now it’s 2 / 3 month delay. That tells me they’re loosing ground as to where they should be.

Beyond giving us some arbitrary delivery start they should just tell us exactly what the hood up is and tell us ALL of the things that still need to happen for deliveries to commencement. I feel like come September they’re just gonna tell us “We’re going to be delivering vehicles SOON in 2022”. I’m just about done y’all.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
428 Posts
But he did. "I have spoken with a number of you and know we need to do a better job at communicating specifics around deliveries. " I'm guessing you were looking for something a little more specific?
“Need to” and “will” are very different things. I cringe when people use soft modal verbs such as should, could, need to, etc. If they are my employees (or my children), I stop them mid sentence and ask them “do you mean ‘you will’ vs. you ‘should’?”. Rivian could definitely use some training in clear and definitive comms. Again, I think overall the letter from RJ was a vast improvement over their previous farcical comms approach. Hopefully we’ll see them continue to improve in that regard.

Reactions: Rezabek

·
Registered
Ronet
19 Posts
I guess the more time they test the tech in the Amazon van the more sorted the Ronet will be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is ridiculous. We pretty much can’t trust any delivery date Rivian provides us at this point. Us long-term pre-order customers should be getting some type of special discount. Especially for the 0% interest loan we provided Rivian. I want my damn Truck! I’ll even drive a test mule at this point.
Look at it this way, all the hype that went into the Ford Bronco, the clubs, all the fan fare, and that was a standard production gasoline vehicle and they just started delivering that POS within the last 45 days. Plus the marketing photos etc. made it look like a cool addition to what they thought was a void, in real life it pretty much sucks.
So, I will wait a little longer and be the envy of all those that settled for whatever it is they end of buying. Bottom line,
I haven't seen an electric truck that looks like a truck, but out performs any gas hog on the road. Remember the motto,
ADVENTURE AWAITS!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm a mid 2020 max pack R1T preorder holder, but after news today I'm seriously considering switching to Tesla Model Y, and letting Rivian be the next car after that

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm also frustrated about this, but let's remember: we are in a global pandemic! over 600,000 people have died in this country over the last 15 months. That a brand new car manufacturer would run into problems due to such an event, is 100% expected. The issues with the supply chain are not a Rivian specific problem, and that is clearly stated as a contributing factor to the delays. On the note of them focusing on the Amazon trucks first, I honestly see it as a good thing. Let them figure out the kinks with Amazon so that none of us gets a lemon. I've waited for 3 years, if 2 more months means that I'm gonna get a more well put together car, I'm fine with that.

In spite of all of this, there should be a lot more and better comms. Especially to the early buyers and LE holders.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
What we're experiencing here tends to happen with new vehicle launches like this. It's one major downside of being an early adopter. What other new vehicles have you owned? Were they anything as new as these Rivians?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At this point I’d take a Test Mule vehicle. I’m getting of waiting to reach what is supposed to be a delivery start only to have the goal post moved another 100 yds just as we all reach the 5 yd line. At this point early pre-order customers should receive special discounted pricing. Our early commitment and patience certainly should not be overlooked.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts