Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
At this point I’d take a Test Mule vehicle. I’m getting of waiting to reach what is supposed to be a delivery start only to have the goal post moved another 100 yds just as we all reach the 5 yd line. At this point early pre-order customers should receive special discounted pricing. Our early commitment and patience certainly should not be overlooked.
Early pre-order people aren't owed squat. Did you not read the fine print when you handed over your $1k? The reality is you placed a deposit on a product to be delivered at some point in the future. That point in the future has never been determined from a contractual standpoint.

If you no longer want a Rivian that is perfectly fine,one less person in line. Otherwise...welcome to the club that is called the COIVD-19 supply chain disruption.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not surprised, but I am annoyed. I will keep my Rivian Max pack reservation to hold my place in line, but I'm much more open to another electric truck such as the Ford Lighting, GMC Hummer EV, Silverado EV, Honda EV, Toyota EV, or Even the Ram EV which is scheduled to be released in 2024. At this rate I'm more likely to take ownership of a Ram EV truck than the Rivian Max Pack.
One thing I will be doing is stop following Rivian news for at least 1 year. Farewell Rivian fans and reservation holders.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not surprised, but I am annoyed. I will keep my Rivian Max pack reservation to hold my place in line, but I'm much more open to another electric truck such as the Ford Lighting, GMC Hummer EV, Silverado EV, Honda EV, Toyota EV, or Even the Ram EV which is scheduled to be released in 2024. At this rate I'm more likely to take ownership of a Ram EV truck than the Rivian Max Pack.
One thing I will be doing is stop following Rivian news for at least 1 year. Farewell Rivian fans and reservation holders.
I'm with you here. I will keep my reservation for now but soon enough I have to start commuting to work a couple days a week at least. My current vehicle situation would make that a disaster so I will need to buy a new vehicle. Step 1. Try out an R1T to confirm I want it, I question some of the design choices. Step 2. when can I get one.

If another viable EV comes along I may jump and watch Rivian's progress from afar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Us long-term pre-order customers should be getting some type of special discount.
Rivian made no promises or commitments when you made your pre-order deposit, and you agreed to that. Now you feel entitled to something special? Nah, it doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think a big contributor to these delays are a result of all those damn Vans they have to build for Amazon. If they didn’t have to prioritize those orders a lot of us would have our trucks by now. I’m freakin pissed.
LOL, if it were not for Amazon's investment, you would be waiting another 3 to 4 years, perhaps never getting one at all. Amazon's investment has enabled Rivian to actually deliver ANY vehicles at all.

Also, how do you know that the Amazon vehicle has anything to do with the delay? It could be supply chain constraints for materials used in the R1T/S. Being freakin pissed over something you know zero details about and have no control over is ..... freakin dumb. Enjoy being pissed.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Rivian made no promises or commitments when you made your pre-order deposit, and you agreed to that. Now you feel entitled to something special? Nah, it doesn't work that way.
There may not have been firm commitments when people placed their deposit, but Rivian has made several commitments and subsequently broken them. The broken commitment that frustrates me the most is "July". Based on a preponderance of the evidence (guides were already telling people November, no infotainment video, not enough activity at factory) the delay from June to July felt extremely suspect, at the time. That was a huge mistake, by Rivian, imo. I believe they knew they would delay again, and I don't like the misinformation they intentionally put out. They should have come clean and said "September/October/November/whatever" at that time. It would have been much better received by most people. However, by pushing to July and then pushing again it makes them look bad and makes customers feel like Rivian doesn't care about or respect them.

Being freakin pissed over something you know zero details about and have no control over is ..... freakin dumb. Enjoy being pissed.
People have a right to feel hurt. Telling people they are "dumb" for feeling frustrated/hurt/betrayed/disrespected demonstrates a lack of emotional intelligence. You may not be frustrated, but many people are. This "news" just happened; let them vent a little.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am just wondering what a better job at communication is… a delay is logical being the EPA numbers are not even posted yet. It would have been nice to have explicit timeline for release of info… weekly, biweekly, monthly??? It doesn’t say. I am so looking forward to this unicorn. Coming weeks is so vague. I feel like acknowledging the problem but not giving plan of action to solve it is still a problem. We are still wondering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Based on a preponderance of the evidence (guides were already telling people November, no infotainment video, not enough activity at factory) the delay from June to July felt extremely suspect, at the time. That was a huge mistake, by Rivian, imo. I believe they knew they would delay again, and I don't like the misinformation they intentionally put out. They should have come clean and said "September/October/November/whatever" at that time. It would have been much better received by most people. However, by pushing to July and then pushing again it makes them look bad and makes customers feel like Rivian doesn't care about or respect them.
You're making a ton of assumptions that are unsubstantiated. Here's a more likely scenario - They knew they were behind the eight ball, but as late as June, they thought they could get limited production started and ship at least a token number of vehicles to fulfill the "commitment" of July. Then very recently, something happened that forced them abandon that plan. Supply chain shortage, labor shortage, etc. I personally have been on projects in this situation more than once on a factory startup. Despite the best intentions of the project managers, engineers and craft workers, and working 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, unexpected stuff happens at the last minute (usually due to a supply chain or technical problem) that blows the plan to pieces. It demonstrates lack of business intelligence to assume that Rivian did this on purpose.

People have a right to feel hurt. Telling people they are "dumb" for feeling frustrated/hurt/betrayed/disrespected demonstrates a lack of emotional intelligence.
Lack of emotional intelligence, lol. Feeling frustrated/hurt/betrayed/disrespected is fine. That's not what OP implied - Per the OP's words, he's "freakin pissed". "Freakin' pissed" is when someone screws your wife, fires you for no reason, or shoots someone simply because of their race. A car manufacturer missing a delivery is nowhere close to that. Such First World problems we have to deal with. Is it life changing that Rivian dropped the ball?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Exactly! At this point they just need to be clear about the hold up. “Cascading Effects” of covid pandemic is too vague b/c I question if it’s the pandemic is being used a convenient blanket excuse for delays. They should just tell us the exact reasons why they can’t make their latest deadline and why they determined September to now be an achievable deadline to start deliveries.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
428 Posts
and ship at least a token number of vehicles to fulfill the "commitment" of July.
If the goal was to ship “just a token number of vehicles” simply to meet a commitment and check a box, then that’s disingenuous at best, probably closer to deceptive. I’d prefer they do what they just did - stop, announce a delay, and for God’s sake communicate vs. the games they’ve been playing with dates and information.

I bought a used lemon one time. This was back before the days of CarFax etc. There were several warning signs, but I ignored them due to my excitement about the vehicle. In retrospect, it was a dumb purchase and I should have known better. I often think of my impending Rivian purchase in that light. What if I buy it and there are major problems after the purchase - either with the truck, service, etc. If I fast forward in time and really think about it, I’d be of a similar mindset - there were lots of warning signs that I chose to ignore in my excitement to get the truck.

To be clear, I don’t think the situation will play out as described above. I still believe that Rivian is a good company with what will be a great product. But their communications strategy certainly does nothing to build confidence or enhance my faith in them. I remain hopeful that their acknowledgement of piss poor communications will translate into some positive changes in that regard. Time will tell.

Reactions: Temerarius

·
Registered
737 Posts
You're making a ton of assumptions that are unsubstantiated. Here's a more likely scenario - They knew they were behind the eight ball, but as late as June, they thought they could get limited production started and ship at least a token number of vehicles to fulfill the "commitment" of July. Then very recently, something happened that forced them abandon that plan. Supply chain shortage, labor shortage, etc. I personally have been on projects in this situation more than once on a factory startup. Despite the best intentions of the project managers, engineers and craft workers, and working 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, unexpected stuff happens at the last minute (usually due to a supply chain or technical problem) that blows the plan to pieces. It demonstrates lack of business intelligence to assume that Rivian did this on purpose.
Malarkey. You'd have a point IF Rivian could release the info we're asking for. If supplier/vendor shortages are the issue, then I don't care if they delay until January! But you should be able to show me the infotainment system! You should be able to share the EPA estimates. You should be able to put out at least one video and article every week with more information. You could have a regular cadence where you show off everything that's so awesome about Rivian. And you could even have a Q&A where people submit questions and you answer them in the videos you're releasing on a regular basis. But Rivian doesn't do any of that. And as long as they're withholding the info, then it's fair to assume it's not ready.

Lack of emotional intelligence, lol. Feeling frustrated/hurt/betrayed/disrespected is fine. That's not what OP implied - Per the OP's words, he's "freakin pissed". "Freakin' pissed" is when someone screws your wife, fires you for no reason, or shoots someone simply because of their race. A car manufacturer missing a delivery is nowhere close to that. Such First World problems we have to deal with. Is it life changing that Rivian dropped the ball?
No, "Freakin' Pissed" is when something happens that is frustrating enough that you go "WTF" and be mad about it for a short period of time. My wife cheats on me? That's WAY beyond freakin' pissed. That probably oscillates between deep depression and murderous rage. If someone said they were "freakin' pissed" that their wife cheated on them, then I'd say they were in shock and hadn't processed it, yet; or they had processed it completely and were deprecating the impact out of humility.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm a mid 2020 max pack R1T preorder holder, but after news today I'm seriously considering switching to Tesla Model Y, and letting Rivian be the next car after that
Would you consider any of the other electric pickups that are coming out? Or would you still go with the R1T?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is ridiculous. We pretty much can’t trust any delivery date Rivian provides us at this point. Us long-term pre-order customers should be getting some type of special discount. Especially for the 0% interest loan we provided Rivian. I want my damn Truck! I’ll even drive a test mule at this point.
This really stinks! And now really torn on whether to wait for Max Battery pack? Who knows. My bigger frustration is around that I dont see early Pre Order folks getting much preference … as it seems more based on location, color, and configuration….??? Than when you ordered?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I understand its frustrating to have delays and Rivian doesn't do much in the way of communicating. Can't say whether that's better or worse than companies like Tesla who through out bullshit estimates all the time, only to disappoint. Rivian has chosen to not provide a "bunch" of estimates. I'm sure whey they said deliveries would be delayed to July, they fully expected to be able to deliver. Clearly, there's a reason for the delay. ALL manufacturers are suffering from some types of delays as a result of the pandemic. But, my guess would be that there's something critical with the development of the truck that hasn't been fully resolved yet. Think of how long and how many times Elon Musk has promised that Full Self Driving would be released in just a few months. Two years ago, a Model S was supposed to drive itself across the country. Problem is, they got 95% of the way to completion and realized that the last 5% is VERY HARD to achieve. Here we are several years later and still no customers have true Full Self Driving. My guess, being that EV's are technologically advanced vehicles, there's likely something software related that they haven't fully solved yet. Clearly, no manufacturer wants to release a new vehicle with issues that haven't been fully resolved. You only get one chance to make a first impression. If they were to deliver a bunch of vehicles that had some type of recurring issue, the bad press would be all over it and could seriously hurt the long term success of the company. Just as Musk still has not admitted that they can't figure out Full Self Driving and continue to take $10,000 from each sucker that'll give it to them, Rivian likely doesn't want to admit publicly that there's some type of an issue they're still working on as it could scare people away. But, development of a new vehicle from the ground up is certainly not easy. I applaud them for trying to get it right. Such delays can be unpredictable as Tesla has proven. Roadster was promised years ago. Cybertruck isn't even close yet. Model 3 had many delays. Model X was at least 2 years delayed. Even the big guys experience delays too. Audi was delayed with the E-tron. Jaguar with the I-Pace. Mercedes still delayed with their EV SUV. I placed my order fully expecting it to be delayed. I'm good for up to one year in delays, which would be about on par. Hopeful it's sooner, but keeping expectations in check and I'll be pleasantly surprised if it comes sooner. If it's much more than a 1 year delay, then unfortunately, I'll be forced to go another direction. Fingers crossed. But, also keeping things realistic. Would have been shocked had they been delivered by June. Still pleasantly surprised if it really comes by September. My guess, around the end of the year or first of next year will be when actual deliveries start taking place on a regular basis. Trust me, there's nobody that wants to deliver these things more than Rivian itself. They're doing the absolute best they can!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Malarkey. You'd have a point IF Rivian could release the info we're asking for. If supplier/vendor shortages are the issue, then I don't care if they delay until January! But you should be able to show me the infotainment system! You should be able to share the EPA estimates. You should be able to put out at least one video and article every week with more information. You could have a regular cadence where you show off everything that's so awesome about Rivian. And you could even have a Q&A where people submit questions and you answer them in the videos you're releasing on a regular basis. But Rivian doesn't do any of that.
I believe they knew they would delay again, and I don't like the misinformation they intentionally put out. They should have come clean and said...
LOL. Your original post I commented on was implying that Rivian was being intentionally deceitful. Now you give examples of poor marketing as proof that they are deceitful. Poor marketing, or marketing that does not meet your expectations, in no way implies intentional deceit.

And as long as they're withholding the info, then it's fair to assume it's not ready.
There are plenty of marketing examples that indicate otherwise. Many tech companies release little or no detailed information until product release day. Most notably Amazon and Apple. Apple stays mum on almost every product detail until the official announcement, and they ship millions of devices the following week. Witholding info, whether it's a marketing strategy or just poor marketing, does not imply a product or feature set is not ready. Perhaps they have some new UI tech or other features in the infotainment system they do not want competitors to see until they ship the product. Perhaps the EPA has not finalized the estimates so they can't release them. "Should/could do this and that" - that's your expectation and feeling of entitlement, but Rivian not meeting it does not mean they are intentionally deceitful.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
428 Posts
There are plenty of marketing examples that indicate otherwise. Many tech companies release little or no detailed information until product release day. Most notably Amazon and Apple. Apple stays mum on almost every product detail until the official announcement, and they ship millions of devices the following week.
Neither Apple nor Amazon take $1,000 of your money upfront. I would submit that that comes with a different expectation relative to communication.

·
Registered
737 Posts
LOL. Your original post I commented on was implying that Rivian was being intentionally deceitful. Now you give examples of poor marketing as proof that they are deceitful. Poor marketing, or marketing that does not meet your expectations, in no way implies intentional deceit.
They have been intentionally deceitful, imo. On May 25th they said they needed to delay from June to July. But I believe they knew, at that time, that they wouldn’t hit the July target, either. That is intentional deceit.

There are plenty of marketing examples that indicate otherwise. Many tech companies release little or no detailed information until product release day. Most notably Amazon and Apple. Apple stays mum on almost every product detail until the official announcement, and they ship millions of devices the following week. Witholding info, whether it's a marketing strategy or just poor marketing, does not imply a product or feature set is not ready. Perhaps they have some new UI tech or other features in the infotainment system they do not want competitors to see until they ship the product. Perhaps the EPA has not finalized the estimates so they can't release them. "Should/could do this and that" - that's your expectation and feeling of entitlement, but Rivian not meeting it does not mean they are intentionally deceitful.
Not the same thing, at all. Apple stays quiet during development, but when they announce, they announce the full specs. Then, a few weeks later, you can actually buy the thing. Rivian did their debut announcement almost three years ago and we didn’t have answers to major questions. On the morning of May 25th, “June” was still the promised delivery timeline — a mere 6 days away — yet we still didn’t have answers to major questions.

I accept 100% secrecy during R&D. But we’re in the pre-sales phase, and that requires information.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts