Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is ridiculous. We pretty much can’t trust any delivery date Rivian provides us at this point. Us long-term pre-order customers should be getting some type of special discount. Especially for the 0% interest loan we provided Rivian. I want my damn Truck! I’ll even drive a test mule at this point.
Well some news from the "Insider" --- the reality is the plant and the product is NOT ready. The plant cannot stamp any metal (bodysides, doors etc). They are being made in MI by a company (TDM) owned by Ford. The battery assembly is a mess....20% First time through and lastly but most importantly the vehicle is NOT ready for FMVSS/Federal certification (not EPA but hundreds of other items that do need certified).

This is what will happen when "Tesla" folks were basically made in-charge. This is how Tesla launches are and Rivian is basically getting what they bought when they got rid of traditional OEM experienced staff with Tesla.....This will not be the last delay. The whole "Chip" shortage is a smoke screen as those components with chips were sourced more than a year ago and at the volumes Rivian needs them there is NO shortage....

·
Registered
97 Posts
This really stinks! And now really torn on whether to wait for Max Battery pack? Who knows. My bigger frustration is around that I dont see early Pre Order folks getting much preference … as it seems more based on location, color, and configuration….??? Than when you ordered?
I'm with you on not seeing the benefit to being a pre-order holder.

I don't want the Max battery pack - since I'll be towing a trailer, it's an absolute requirement. But I can't configure the R1S I want with it, in fact, I can't really get an answer to when I'll be able to do so (looks like maybe early next year but at this point, that's a guess, not actual information from Rivian).

Since there is no way to predict when the R1S Max I need will actually be available, and given that I don't want to roll the dice betting that my 14 year old will make it until that undetermined future point (2 years? 3 years? down the road), I will need a new car. Getting that interim car means that I can now wait for Rivian to start producing vehicles in serious numbers, and at that point just go to their website and buy one. And since we're talking about 2024 or 2025, the charging infrastructure is likely to be much more robust than it is now. So I will be able to get by with an R1S Long Range and save the $10,000 that Max battery package will cost me.

I think I've talked myself into cancelling my Rivian order and putting the deposit toward a new ICE SUV . . .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Would you consider any of the other electric pickups that are coming out? Or would you still go with the R1T?
I have a reservation for F-150 Lightning. The more Rivian delays, the greater the chance I could end up getting the Lightning instead of the R1T. I’m really in desperate need to replace my Truck and want the next one to be all Electric. I think both the R1T and Lightning have some distinguishable compelling features that will make either a good buy.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
229 Posts
think I've talked myself into cancelling my Rivian order and putting the deposit toward a new ICE SUV . . .
Join the cancellation club, I spent my Rivian slush fund on this Mach E. First road trip was to the Grand Canyon.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Join the cancellation club, I spent my Rivian slush fund on this Mach E. First road trip was to the Grand Canyon.
How do you like it so far? From what I hear sakes of the Mach E are really strong. I believe they might be rivaling Model Y sales abs perhaps even have outsold the Model Y for a couple of months. Has anyone heard the same?

I’m not to the point where I want to cancel my R1T order however the delays are making me seriously consider following through with my Lightning pre-order. Was thinking that the lower price points of the Lightning could free up some cash for me to purchase another vehicle to use for a different purpose. Perhaps another EV Car, SUV, or if I want to be naughty a Mustang GT w/ a 5.0 to keep permanently in my stable. Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not as early a reservation holder as many of you, but I was hoping against all odds that I would be able to take delivery of my LE R1T back in 2020. I really wanted that $10,000 tax credit (Fed + State). I lost out on that chance but I was sure I'd be able to claim that credit on this years taxes. I seriously have my doubts that Rivian will be able to deliver my R1T before the end of the year and I don't want to lose another $10K. So I caved in and bought the last available Mach e within 100 miles of me. I have a preorder on the F150 Lightning as well as the Rivian so it will be a race to see if either one can get me a new truck next year. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and I really like both of them. Right now my money is on the old time manufacturer with many years of experience building vehicles.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think a big contributor to these delays are a result of all those damn Vans they have to build for Amazon. If they didn’t have to prioritize those orders a lot of us would have our trucks by now. I’m freakin pissed.
Those damn Vans are bringing you a better quality product and without them might not even be getting anything
THOSE DAMN VANS ARE A GIFT
IMO 😀

·
Registered
13 Posts
This really stinks! And now really torn on whether to wait for Max Battery pack? Who knows. My bigger frustration is around that I dont see early Pre Order folks getting much preference … as it seems more based on location, color, and configuration….??? Than when you ordered?
Tesla has been the same way. They claimed to have 500k reservations for the Model 3. If those reservations were real (debatable) and Tesla had filled those first, the rest of the public would not have been able to get that car until 2020 (when they actually sold the 500,000th Model 3). But that didn’t happen. Plenty of people were able to order and receive their Model 3 ahead of reservation holders (including myself).

Long story short, outside of the LE, I wouldn’t be expecting any kind of priority in receiving your vehicle. It sucks, but that is reality.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tesla has been the same way. They claimed to have 500k reservations for the Model 3. If those reservations were real (debatable) and Tesla had filled those first, the rest of the public would not have been able to get that car until 2020 (when they actually sold the 500,000th Model 3). But that didn’t happen. Plenty of people were able to order and receive their Model 3 ahead of reservation holders (including myself).

Long story short, outside of the LE, I wouldn’t be expecting any kind of priority in receiving your vehicle. It sucks, but that is reality.
I suspect that this is probably more true than not. What it means is that there is no real benefit in being a pre-order holder if you are not in line for an LE. In effect, most of us are just providing Rivian with an interest-free loan, in many cases for several years. Of course, we did get that nice [suitable for framing!] copy of a watercolor Rivian for our $1,000 . . .

41 - 50 of 50 Posts