Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, when I picked up my truck I was unable to pair my phone, the NFC cards/wristband didn't work and I had no working radio. The tech there told me it was a "cloud issue", which I knew wasn't true (I'm an IT guy). But I had a key that worked and needed to get back to work, and assumed they'd be able to fix it remotely.

I called the next day and the support agent explained that they would pull the logs from my truck and send them to engineering and get back to me asap. For the record, every time I call they are fantastic!...can't always solve the problem, but are kind and helpful.

Engineering called 2 days later and asked if the lights were on my air compressor....and I hadn't even looked at it so I didn't know. I walked down to my truck and tried to fire it up, no luck. He then said it's a fuse that runs the FM radio, NFC and air compressor, and that it would need to be replaced. This was end of May and he scheduled me for the first available appt at the Costa Mesa, CA Rivian shop...the 21st of June! 1 month away!

I took my truck in on the 21st, told them about the tonneau cover issues and the weatherstripping that I had been having issues with. They have no loaners so I got a Toyota Tacoma from Zipcar (total POS, not sure why anyone would buy one). and left my truck w/ them. The service agent said it would be ready by Friday...which was 4 days away. I'm writing this on June 30th, this is the 10th day, and I'm driving that POS Tacoma. I've spoken w/ them several times, they are constantly waiting for parts. They claim the last parts are coming on Friday AM and that I'll have my truck on Saturday (that's a problem because I'll be in San Diego from Friday to next Sunday).

So, I've owned my truck for over a month but have only had it in my possession for 3 weeks :) I get that it's all new and they are doing their best, but I can't imagine they can survive with all these additional costs (parts, shipping, my rental, etc). Rivian needs to figure out service ASAP or we'll be driving trucks from a company that no longer exists....which scares the crap out of me.

Anyone have a similar service experience or am I unique?

·
Registered
69 Posts
So, when I picked up my truck I was unable to pair my phone, the NFC cards/wristband didn't work and I had no working radio. The tech there told me it was a "cloud issue", which I knew wasn't true (I'm an IT guy). But I had a key that worked and needed to get back to work, and assumed they'd be able to fix it remotely.

I called the next day and the support agent explained that they would pull the logs from my truck and send them to engineering and get back to me asap. For the record, every time I call they are fantastic!...can't always solve the problem, but are kind and helpful.

Engineering called 2 days later and asked if the lights were on my air compressor....and I hadn't even looked at it so I didn't know. I walked down to my truck and tried to fire it up, no luck. He then said it's a fuse that runs the FM radio, NFC and air compressor, and that it would need to be replaced. This was end of May and he scheduled me for the first available appt at the Costa Mesa, CA Rivian shop...the 21st of June! 1 month away!

I took my truck in on the 21st, told them about the tonneau cover issues and the weatherstripping that I had been having issues with. They have no loaners so I got a Toyota Tacoma from Zipcar (total POS, not sure why anyone would buy one). and left my truck w/ them. The service agent said it would be ready by Friday...which was 4 days away. I'm writing this on June 30th, this is the 10th day, and I'm driving that POS Tacoma. I've spoken w/ them several times, they are constantly waiting for parts. They claim the last parts are coming on Friday AM and that I'll have my truck on Saturday (that's a problem because I'll be in San Diego from Friday to next Sunday).

So, I've owned my truck for over a month but have only had it in my possession for 3 weeks :) I get that it's all new and they are doing their best, but I can't imagine they can survive with all these additional costs (parts, shipping, my rental, etc). Rivian needs to figure out service ASAP or we'll be driving trucks from a company that no longer exists....which scares the crap out of me.

Not unique, probably, but not my experience. I had an issue with a proximity sensor module. Mobile unit came out, assessed, ordered parts, came back: done. I may not have the typical experience, but the one I had was great. This at my home: Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2 Posts
“so I got a Toyota Tacoma from Zipcar (total POS, not sure why anyone would buy one).”

LOL does everyone in your world have Rivian money?

Also:

Things Toyota Tacoma owners don’t say…

1) My brand new truck doesn’t work… guy told me it was a “cloud“ issue
2) The earliest I can get a dealership appt is a month out.
3) I’m worried about finding parts
4) I’m scared I may soon be driving a truck from a company that no longer exists
5) There is no aftermarket support for my vehicle
6) How am I going to charge my truck for my Baja beach surf trip?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
“so I got a Toyota Tacoma from Zipcar (total POS, not sure why anyone would buy one).”

Also:

4) I’m scared I may soon be driving a truck from a company that no longer exists
Do you have an order for a R1T? Or for another truck?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
As a BIG fan of Tacoma's and Toyota pickups in general, that also loves these new electric pickups, I think it's totally fair that someone might steer far away from either type of pickup. The only problem I have with Toyota pickups is that they can feel behind on tech, but at the same time that's a good thing. There's a reason why you'll find their pickups in some of the most remote places on earth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have an order for a R1T? Or for another truck?
I don’t want highjack ugly ******’s thread so I’ll keep this short as I can force myself.

I should have preordered a green Rivian, bought the max stock prior to the IPO and sold it at $170 a share. (That move made some folks Rivian owners for Marverick money!)

Unfortunately I put all my “new truck money “ in the market and it’s down 30% ish. People in my area are selling their Rivian’s on Craigslist for 128+k. Which would be about five years pay for me as a nurse.

My first truck was an 84’ 4Runner in 87’. I sold it with 360k on it for half what I paid. It’s still driving around in California 22 years after I sold it. I’m driving a 2000 4Runner last year of the five speed manual. Told myself my next truck would be electric or hybrid back in 2008 …so I’ve been waiting a long time for a nice dark green replacement truck. Rivian blew everything else away so if the market comes back ….

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Got my truck back, after 20 days at the service center in Costa Mesa. They fixed everything except I still can't pair my phone as a key. It pairs via bluetooth and I can make calls, play audio, etc, it just won't pair as the key. The service center peeps weren't helpful, keep pushing back on Rivian engineers. I just want it to work :)

As a side note, they kept if for 20 days and told me it would be clean and fully charged when I came to pick it up. It was dirty (had never been washed) and was at 39%. Thanks guys!

·
Banned
473 Posts
Got my truck back, after 20 days at the service center in Costa Mesa. They fixed everything except I still can't pair my phone as a key. It pairs via bluetooth and I can make calls, play audio, etc, it just won't pair as the key. The service center peeps weren't helpful, keep pushing back on Rivian engineers. I just want it to work :)

As a side note, they kept if for 20 days and told me it would be clean and fully charged when I came to pick it up. It was dirty (had never been washed) and was at 39%. Thanks guys!
Rivian needs customer appreciation training - top to bottom.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Also:

Lol! I was thinking most of these when I read OP's original post. You could add: "I have range anxiety when I'm towing."

I have a Tacoma and will, hopefully, be replacing it with Rivian (when they finally release the max pack because... anxiety). Of course, I have a second gen Tacoma that many would say is superior to the 3rd. That being said, I plan on keeping the Tacoma until I feel comfortable replacing it completely.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I swapped my Tundra for the R1T. I haven’t had the occasion to tow my dump trailer yet, but it’s coming. Of course, for me that’s like a 10-15 mile trip vs someone towing a camper out to the woods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts