Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing about the R1T that I'm surprised Rivian hasn't addressed yet is the possibility of having a sliding rear window. Every video and photo I've seen shows the window as a single piece of glass. I think it would help convince people the R1T can be an everyday vehicle by having a sliding window that allows you to carry items like wood. Anyone else agree with this idea?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think it would help convince people the R1T can be an everyday vehicle by having a sliding window that allows you to carry items like wood.
As I've read in other forums the Rivian EAVs are targeting the outdoor adventure demographic than the worker that needs to haul around lumber and other large construction materials (e.g. Atlis XT or Workhorse pickups).
I've also read people (speculating) it might (also) have to do with the structural strength of the cab as a solid window provides more rigidity than one that opens. (I assume the implied here is in case of a rollover.) Seems a little bit of stretch to me but I'm not an automotive engineer. I suspect it has more to do with the target demographic, though admittingly that also seems like a weak reason. Who knows, that might be one of the "small tweaks" Rivian makes for the production model. :unsure:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I've read in other forums the Rivian EAVs are targeting the outdoor adventure demographic than the worker that needs to haul around lumber and other large construction materials (e.g. Atlis XT or Workhorse pickups).
I've also read people (speculating) it might (also) have to do with the structural strength of the cab as a solid window provides more rigidity than one that opens. (I assume the implied here is in case of a rollover.) Seems a little bit of stretch to me but I'm not an automotive engineer. I suspect it has more to do with the target demographic, though admittingly that also seems like a weak reason. Who knows, that might be one of the "small tweaks" Rivian makes for the production model. :unsure:
I'm not sure if there's a structural difference between a solid or sliding rear window either. At the very least a solid rear window is better for security than a sliding one. I understand that Rivian's demographic probably isn't hauling 2x4's around, but I'm sure a sliding window could be handy for them when dealing with things like camping equipment.

I agree with you I could definitely see this being an extra option for later models.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What @EyeOnRivian said. The demographic shift from people buying an F150 to this Rivian pickup is drastically different and its actually better than Rivian isn't trying to compete with Ford's F-series. Ford, Chevy and RAM can easily shut Rivian out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Honda Ridgeline that has the sliding window. I almost never use it. Only when I am putting something in the car that is small and exceeds the bed length. I would say I've used it about a dozen times in 14 years... If it was optional I wouldn't get a sliding rear window.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Even though I'll probably get the R1S, if I were getting the R1T I would prefer a sliding rear window. In addition to basic uses of hauling long items or just easily tossing something into the bed from the cabin, I was thinking that you might be able to benefit from the cabin temperature when camping. The Rivian will have what's equivalent to Tesla's "camper mode" where only the climate control system (and probably others like sound system) is available to heat/cool the cabin and use as little of the battery as possible overnight. Though for this to work would depend on how big the window opening would be for the conditioned cabin air to transfer to through the window into the bed area. Maybe add a small window fan ... but that would require energy ... Hmm .... I guess that's part of the reason why I'll get the R1S. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts