Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed how the batteries for electric cars are constructed and all looked as if “Rube Goldberg” inspired, since they use 100’s of small lithium batteries with microprocessors in each to guard against overheating.

I’ll just provide a link that appears less part of the push to get investors, and more defined by a look at the details of a company that SAYS it has new technology that greatly improves the energy density of batteries that can be used, not only for cars and trucks, but wherever it is of benefit to store electric energy. According to what has been written of this company it was founded by a former Tesla manager.

Sila Nanotechnologies: What to Know Before Sila Nanotechnologies Goes Public

Take a look at this and a number of other articles on the Internet and let me know what you think. If the claims are accurate this company's batteries could be a game changer for the EV industry, as well as others utilizing battery powered devices.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
233 Posts
There are not microprocessors in each battery cell. There are temperature and voltages sensors that go to a BMS. the BMS may consist of microprocessors in several modules, then communicating to a central computer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are not microprocessors in each battery cell. There are temperature and voltages sensors that go to a BMS. the BMS may consist of microprocessors in several modules, then communicating to a central computer.
Thanks for your critique. It seems I’ve been misled about more advanced lithium battery design.

The following is a battery manufacturer’s statements about their lithium battery design, indicating that it does have some sort of microprocessor control to protect the batteries functionality. Unfortunately I didn’t see a cut-away of the batteries internals to see if it is constructed more efficiently internally, leading to lower sales prices.

Note that they do imply that their batteries have an integrated “microprocessor” as part of the batteries safe operating features. Maybe they are just parsing words that have misled me to not understand the correctness of your statement.

https://www.solaryours.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Trillium.pdf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.