Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Not shocked. Also not new news. Sorry if you hadn't heard about it over the last ~2 years.

If you were using SXM for music, I don't think you'll miss it. SXM quality is terrible. There are much better options for music.

If you want talk/sports, then I think there are better options for most people, but there are a few niche cases where I guess SXM is your only option. For those situations, either the R1T isn't the vehicle for you, or you can band-aid it with an aftermarket SXM receiver. There's at least one model that supports Bluetooth so you can connect it to the Rivian audio system that way. Not a great integration, of course, but if you MUST have SXM in an R1T, it's pretty much your only option.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Why it isn’t offered is the question…..
There's a lot of kind-of-answers that people could offer you... But the one REAL reason I think is: They don't have to. They did an analysis and had a meeting and decided that they didn't have to include the feature to hit their sales and customer satisfaction targets.

Individuals may disagree with their decision. CarPlay is another example that comes up, regularly. But Rivian made an intentional choice.

· Registered
44 Posts
If you get the streaming option of SitiusXM, you can listen to it via Bluetooth. That's what we do for the Tesla. You should get 1 streaming account included with your subscription. A second one is,I think, $5/month and you only need it if you will be using both streams at the same time.

· Registered
9 Posts
As frustrating as I found-find this choice, I have been pleasantly surprised that using the app on my iPhone is much less inconvenient than I expected. I really only listen to two channels though...if one was a "surfer" I could see this being a deal breaker.

Rivian, if you're reading this: You need to get your acts together FAST on the phone integration and additional apps on the infotainment side. Messages like this should remind you that the later in your lifecycle the deliveries are, the less tolerant the buyers (especially at the new prices) will be for missing things they want!

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem is I live in rural Arizona. Cell service is spotty at best, only wireless signal is at home. Streaming pandora is great till the signal drops. Find it interesting that this “Adventure“ vehicle can’t get a satellite signal for music and news?

· Registered
2 Posts
If you're in an area with decent cell coverage then why use SXM, at all? There are better streaming options for most content.
I guess that's a valid opinion but the post wasn't asking for alternatives, it was specifically asking about SXM in the Rivian. I just posted an option to stream it (not knowing he lives in a rural area with spotty cell service).

· Registered
503 Posts
I’m not sure how well Sirius XM is actually doing. I have it in my Jeep but seems like every month I find new holes in the reception driving around in SoCal.

Seems like their subscription base peaked at the end of 2019 and has been on a downward trend since then. I would have kept my subscription if it had the hardware but not something that sways my vehicle purchasing decision one way or another.

· Registered
44 Posts
I’m not sure how well Sirius XM is actually doing. I have it in my Jeep but seems like every month I find new holes in the reception driving around in SoCal.
I could depend on the hardware you have. My car was originally set up for Sirius whereas my wife's was setup for XM (from when both companies were separate). She would sometimes have issues with reception whereas I would not. I chalk it up to one company using geostationary satellites and the other using orbits that always have one satellite overhead.

· Registered
503 Posts
I could depend on the hardware you have. My car was originally set up for Sirius whereas my wife's was setup for XM (from when both companies were separate). She would sometimes have issues with reception whereas I would not. I chalk it up to one company using geostationary satellites and the other using orbits that always have one satellite overhead.
Not sure what hardware the Jeep came with but they merged in 2008 and the Jeep is a 2014 so I would think the hardware would have been the latest at the time.

It works well when on a road trip it is just driving around the congested areas of LA and Orange County the signal drops a lot with interference from something. It is consistent as I know what areas I drive a lot where it will drop.

I find driving in places with big valleys like Yosemite I lose the signal a lot as well.

· Registered
204 Posts
While I didn't miss SXM in my Model 3 (it coincided with Stern's dramatic decline in content for one thing) and it made sense as a cost reducing factor of that car....I am also a bit surprised it is not in the Rivian trucks.

SXM could be the only source of weather, news and entertainment in certain backcountry areas so for the Adventure vehicle the Rivians are supposed to be it is a bit of a miss not to have it.

SXM has capabilities far beyond what many people understand. We use on our fishing boat for fish maps and offshore weather for instance - it is a satellite data stream that goes way beyond music.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Drove 30 minutes out of town, lost the internet/Spotify signal, music shut down. Had to stream apple tunes. Extremely frustrating for those of us that don’t live in big cities. Come on Rivian get the SXM up and running🤬

1 - 20 of 50 Posts