Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Drove 30 minutes out of town, lost the internet/Spotify signal, music shut down. Had to stream apple tunes. Extremely frustrating for those of us that don’t live in big cities. Come on Rivian get the SXM up and running🤬
this decision by Rivian NOT to have SiriusXM in the vehicle is killing me, too. I also live in rural AZ and rely on Sirius 100% for news and music in the car (over 10 years). "just bluetooth the phone" is a non-starter when there is limited cell service. to market the vehicle as an "adventure vehicle" and having no sirius option when "out there" was a shock to me and i still can't decide if i will continue with my reservation. i really like the SUV but i think i will regret it terribly if i go ahead and take delivery.... not only lacking sirius radio service but i am guessing my closest service centers would be phoenix for flagstaff... both well over 100 miles away. i keep having some weird hope that maybe by the time mine becomes available they will have added SiriusXM. (not likely).

· Premium Member
9 Posts
Anybody else “SHOCKED” to find Sirius not available. WTF, over? Picked up my R1T in PHX, asked the guide how to get Sirius, he says nope. I about fell over.
I was surprised it was not available. But, I added SXM to my phone and let my R1T pull it in with bluetooth. Works great. Not as convenient as having it 'native' to the R1T, but very effective.

· Registered
149 Posts
Works great. Not as convenient as having it 'native' to the R1T, but very effective.
I think maybe you are missing the point of the OP. SXM streamed on your phone will not "work great" when you are in a rural area with weak or no cellular reception. The key differentiator of SXM vs. other media options is that it is delivered via a satellite connection that covers essentially all of the continental United States. That's a unique feature that is impossible to replicate with any of the available options.

· Registered
11 Posts
Absolutely agree that it sucks for those of us who don't live in a city, or would actually like to "adventure" in our vehicle. I live in western Colorado and much of the driving that I do is completely without cell service, and therefore no spotify.

· Registered
44 Posts
If you really need a satellite version of SiriusXM, then go old school.

Take one of these:

Plug it into one of these:

And connect it to the bluetooth. I'm not 100% sure it would work but it's what I would try if I were in a similar situation. Especially since Best Buy and Amazon have liberal return policies. You're on your own for figuring how to power this mess! 😁

· Registered
9 Posts
Not shocked. Also not new news. Sorry if you hadn't heard about it over the last ~2 years.

If you were using SXM for music, I don't think you'll miss it. SXM quality is terrible. There are much better options for music.

If you want talk/sports, then I think there are better options for most people, but there are a few niche cases where I guess SXM is your only option. For those situations, either the R1T isn't the vehicle for you, or you can band-aid it with an aftermarket SXM receiver. There's at least one model that supports Bluetooth so you can connect it to the Rivian audio system that way. Not a great integration, of course, but if you MUST have SXM in an R1T, it's pretty much your only option.
Blue tooth from you SirusXM app, get used to doing it !

· Registered
32 Posts
Rivian's infotainment center will not recognize let alone pair with third party BT transmitters. Tried it. Also tried SXM BT radio and BT cradle. Same problem. As Rivians do not have AUX in jacks and the USB-C plugs do not allow data inputs I tried SXM's FM transmitter system. While I could hear the SXM music through the Rivian FM radio, no matter which frequency I tried there was so much static it was not really satisfactory. However, I did finally come up with a work around which I posted on "Rivian Forum." The good news is the quality of the sound is acceptable and you can pair SXM radio with the Camp Speaker. The bad news is it is not broadcast through the Rivian radio nor controlled by it. It is a rather long posting so I am not going to repeat it here. For those interested it can be found on Rivian Forum at "Rivian Customer Service - SXM will not be native part of entertainment system." 9-2-22 posting #274. As an observation it appears Rivian has positioned itself rather well in the design of their vehicles to move into subscription services. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. No Car Play, no Android Auto, no AUX in jacks, no USB-C input, very limited BT connectivity with selective devices and complete secrecy about their infotainment center and electronics. I have asked repeatedly about how to add SMX satellite (not to be confused with streaming) and gotten nowhere. I to live in Northern Arizona and have an R1T. The gaps in the ATT cell towers are significant even on the interstates let alone off-roading.

· Registered
164 Posts
Aha! I think I get it now. I previously asked if anyone knew the cost to Rivian (or any automaker) to make their vehicles capable of receiving SXM. No one answered my query, but if Frisbee is correct we have our answer. It doesn't matter. Rivian wants to keep out other music services so they can eventually cobble something together (hopefully not crappy) and lure people into an additional music streaming subscription. This is unfortunate.
I hate it when I am not free to make a choice. That's why I have solar. I had no choice from whom to purchase electricity, so I gave myself a second supplier (the sun).
That's also the (partial) reason I bought a model S in 2014. As an owner of a vehicle that consumed gasoline, I had no choice but to pay big oil companies at the pump.

I don't have my R1S yet, but I guess there's Spotify in the vehicle, however, people say the integration is poor.

Does Amazon music work in the vehicle? Is there a screen app to log into with an Amazon music account and see your same library you might have on your phone app?

Edit: I did some reading of forums on Amazon music and spotify. Wow. What a mess in Rivian's implementation. Seems like this should been taken care of during Rivian's slow and deliberate pre-delivery schedule.

· Registered
1,680 Posts
Rivian wants to keep out other music services so they can eventually cobble something together (hopefully not crappy) and lure people into an additional music streaming subscription. This is unfortunate.
SXM is an additional subscription…. And SXM will share subscription fees with the vehicle manufacturer. So the reason Rivian didn’t include SXM csnt simply be for subscription revenue reasons.

Does Amazon music work in the vehicle? Is there a screen app to log into with an Amazon music account and see your same library you might have on your phone app?
you can use Amazon Music via Alexa in the R1. There is no GUI however.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I live in the mountains, never had it loose a signal,,,however we do not have any parking garages here. Now, I have lost the signal in a tunnel, but that’s to be expected.

· Registered
8 Posts
My most distant way point was N 70.511876 W 149.866901, slightly out of data service. My point is; according to Rivian Ads, R1T is an "Adventure" Vehicle including a Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) ????? !!! NOT !!!! Instead, Rivian millennium off-shore contractor techies, chose to not provide satellite entertainment coverage nor satellite GPS imaging coverage or other driver experience features, i.e. functional tie downs anchors (one of my pet peeves). It's my belief that the Rivian millennium techies contractors are off-shore and have never experienced an off-highway grid adventure, their limited experience is smart phones with data connectivity. The first item I installed was a stand alone BT SiriusXM receiver with a "marine" antenna, which is easily BT connected to the Rivian entertainment system. Most people know that SiriusXM receives signal everywhere in US except north of the 49th parallel or south of 28th parallel. The second item I installed was a stand alone NA GPS navigation system which can be programmed with waypoints and alternate routes. Stand alone's are user friendly, more accurate, and have better coverage than the Rivian Navigation System . Unlike most "adventure" owners; some of us use the Rivian as it is meant to be used, solo, off the grid, without support. There are hundreds of driver experience improvements that could be included in the next generation Rivian RxT design. By then, my LE will be well used, worn out, albeit it, highly modified, adventure vehicle. Safe adventures.

· Registered
796 Posts
I find it humorous that the people who complain about the "adventure" label are the same people who seem to be unable to live without satellites and screens for everything. What did you do 20 years ago? I guess "adventure" wasn't possible back then. How did we ever tame the West without our 24/7 talk radio? To me, adventure doesn't begin until cell reception ends.

Oh, and I also find it amusing that you think non-Americans have no idea what it's like to live off-grid and off-highway. But I'm not amused at all by your implied slur of "millennium [sic] off-shore contractor techies".

21 - 40 of 50 Posts