Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear O.horridus, Thank you for noting SIC millennials. I normally stay off of these media sites because of the pushback. That said; Credibility time. I have over 3,000,000 miles combined in a 18 wheelers, four wheelers, and two wheelers. To your point, 20 years ago and long before, I didn't own a cell phone or GPS, but used pay phones, paper maps and a compass. At the age of 63 years, without maps, GPS or a phone, I rode my motorcycle, solo, round trip, from the Artic to the Antarctic through all of North, Central, and South America by myself without any support. I didn't read about it in a book, and didn't watch documentary or fiction films. During this single adventure, most of the time sleeping in a tent, I rode 50,000 miles in 9 months without speaking Spanish or Portuguese. One month ago I drove solo in the R1T from Colorado to the Artic Ocean, including an 50 miles north of Deadhorse, AK. It was hard work in an EV (work harder). During the entire six week adventure, I slept in the rear compartment of the R1T (I removed the rear cushion, back rest and the tunnel fabric for full access), except for two night complimentary stay at Prudhoe Bay Oil field camp. In three months of ownership, I have raced the R1T on a road track, drag raced it (where the R1T beat all challengers except a Tesla Plaid 1000+hp and a Dodge Durango 1000+hp clocking 1/4 mile in 11.4 seconds even when it's governed at 111 mph 200 feet from the finish line) , two-tracked the Rockies, and rock crawled Moab. Next adventure is the Sand dunes. Today, I turned over 10,000 miles in my 3 month old R1T. I'm 77 years young now and pamper myself by listening to music on and off-road, even though my bed is in the rear compartment of the R1T. Some of my more recent adventures are Rocky Mountain advanced two tracks, which I find with paper maps and GPS simply because it is faster for me to get to MM zero. Oh yeah, at the age of 35 yrs with 3 children I lived without electricity or running water, and farmed with a team of horses; admittedly, I had land line telephone service which I laid alongside the one mile mud/dirt access road to my cabin. My children still resent me for that adventure; and I admit that it burned me out after 6 years. I don't watch reality TV because I've been there, lived there, and done that. Oh yeah, fought during and in four wars, Nam through Desert Storm. Respectfully Jaded and without connectivity. Safe adventures.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've been there, lived there, and done that
You've done all that and SXM is what you consider a dealbreaker? As I said, I find that funny. If you can voluntarily live without running water then surely SXM can't be a necessity. It's something that you want, it's something that you have managed to set up for yourself, but it's not something that is vital or an unforgivable omission for an "adventure vehicle". The fact that you've managed most of the above without SXM just proves my point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not a deal breaker for me, but a total PITA. Camp speaker is a paper weight with no music, can’t get weather either
I agree. I am taking delivery of my truck Dec 1.. I plan to give the Rivian rep an earful. In this highly competitive electric vehicle space start ups like Rivian are just one mistake like this from going out of business.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts