Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the size is for the compact spare tire in the R1S? If I upgrade to the 22” tires but the compact spare tire is 19” this would not be ideal.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm not sure what the exact size will be but regardless it should be able to fit regardless of wheel option you order on the website.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
The outside diameter of the tire is more important than the wheel size. They all have the same lug pattern, so mounting it won’t be an issue. Given its “compact”, I’m guessing that the outside tire diameter will be smaller than any of the standard tires, and therefore you’ll need to treat it like a doughnut spare - limit your speed and only use it to get to a place where you can have the real tire serviced. Sounds like a good question for CS though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Come on, its a $75K vehicle. Would have been nice if they threw in a $600 spare, especially considering its an "adventure" vehicle.

And $60 for the air compressor accessories? Don't nickel and dime us Rivian. If they charge for a second key FOB I might have to cancel my reservation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Come on, its a $75K vehicle. Would have been nice if they threw in a $600 spare, especially considering its an "adventure" vehicle.

And $60 for the air compressor accessories? Don't nickel and dime us Rivian. If they charge for a second key FOB I might have to cancel my reservation.
Do offroad people use spare tires? Wouldn't they bring tubes or patch kits?

I'm sure the air compressor accessories will be coming to your favorite online store at a discount. Good thing we have free markets.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Most will bring a patch kit but patches can't fix every problem and if you only have 3 tires you aren't going anywhere. In certain areas or on certain adventures that spare can literally save your life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most will bring a patch kit but patches can't fix every problem and if you only have 3 tires you aren't going anywhere. In certain areas or on certain adventures that spare can literally save your life.
Thanks. Then, do offroaders bring a full size spare or are they likely to bring donut. Assuming full size spare but I don't know. Also assuming "compact spare tire" = $600 donut, which I wouldn't want anyway.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Always full size. A donut is not going to get you anywhere safely offroad. It'd be better than nothing but most likely it will just get damaged or be unable to give you the traction you need to safely get out. For me any offroad adventure makes a full size spare mandatory, and it needs to have the same AT/MT tire as the others.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep I have full size spare that matches the set + hi-lift + slew of tools to give the best chances of getting back home in case something breaks/punctures. I'll be buying a 5th wheel and tire for the R1S for sure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts