Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read yesterday that there was a law suit settlement which will prohibit both Ford and VW from importing batteries from SK Innovation (after a 2 year wait period). The suit was brought by LG Chem. Here's a segment:

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) on Wednesday sided with South Korea’s chemicals and electric vehicle (EV) battery maker LG Chem Ltd, which accused its cross-town rival SK Innovation Co Ltd of misappropriating trade secrets related to EV battery technology."

SK Innovation loses U.S. battery trade case but gets temporary OK to sell to Ford, VW

I've seen on this forum that apparently LG Chem is the battery manufacturer for Rivian. (true?) If so, this law suit may not change things, but then again it might. Anyone have a more informed perspective on this?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I read yesterday that there was a law suit settlement which will prohibit both Ford and VW from importing batteries from SK Innovation (after a 2 year wait period). The suit was brought by LG Chem. Here's a segment:

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) on Wednesday sided with South Korea’s chemicals and electric vehicle (EV) battery maker LG Chem Ltd, which accused its cross-town rival SK Innovation Co Ltd of misappropriating trade secrets related to EV battery technology."

SK Innovation loses U.S. battery trade case but gets temporary OK to sell to Ford, VW

I've seen on this forum that apparently LG Chem is the battery manufacturer for Rivian. (true?) If so, this law suit may not change things, but then again it might. Anyone have a more informed perspective on this?
It's a 10-year ban for SK Innovation to import their batteries into the US which is huge. There were rumors that it was LG but I don't know if that was officially confirmed or not.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Ford will be getting supply from them for 4 years, but nothing after that. And it hasn't impacted Ford at all, as they've said. So maybe that's an indication a similar situation could play out for Rivian? Because I can't see why not.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It is Ford and VW that are affected, they are th eones using the SK batteries. SK stole technology from LG and got caught.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
An R1T prototype was spotted close enough to LG Chem facilities in South Korea today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts