Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I read somewhere that the underbody protection is one big piece and was wondering what happens if it takes a hit on a rock and does its job of protecting the battery, but gets damaged in the process? Is that going to be expensive to replace you think, or will it be really tough and would likely not get damaged to the point of needing to be repaired?

I don't think insurance covers off-road mishaps, so was just thinking of the cost.

thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello!
I read somewhere that the underbody protection is one big piece and was wondering what happens if it takes a hit on a rock and does its job of protecting the battery, but gets damaged in the process? Is that going to be expensive to replace you think, or will it be really tough and would likely not get damaged to the point of needing to be repaired?

I don't think insurance covers off-road mishaps, so was just thinking of the cost.

thanks
I think they may offer skid plates or rock rails on top of the battery protection, but I think it was RJ the one that mentioned in the LA auto show that the batteries were sealed in a ballistic casing. They even dropped the vehicle ~2feet directly onto a rock and there were no punctures.
I guess its still a matter of waiting for that config by the end of the year to see what ends up coming to production.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, that would be good if they added some options for more protection. Also great it passed a rock drop test! I'm looking forward to seeing the specs and config later.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Add on to what @Babbuino said, Rivian's batteries are line with a proprietary "ballistic sheet" along with waterproof material. This article is from 2018 so take it with a grain of salt.

Beyond keeping the battery from slagging itself while you smoke every car off the stop line, Rivian's engineering team also had to take into consideration the R1T's primary intended use: off-roading. Because the last thing you want while bouldering is for a tire to slip and smash the full weight of the vehicle down on top of the battery pack, which is situated along the bottom of the skateboard-style frame, potentially puncturing it.

This is why the bottom of the battery is lined with a ballistic sheet. "It's a protection against those impacts, if they were to come along from underneath," Farquahr said. Additionally, the battery casing is lined with a waterproof material, which keeps the cells safe when fording up to a meter of river.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts