Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always felt the 34" stock tires were too big for the size of the truck. The 21 and 22" wheel options both have 33" circumference tires. Posting the following to demonstrate fitment for anyone interested.

I added custom wheels. Showing these photos to demonstrate fitment, not my wheel choice. Wheels are 20x9's with an 18mm offset. I tried to swap to a 20x9 with a 20mm offset and losing that 2mm was just enough to put the wheel right up against the caliper. I originally put 285/60/20 mud-terrain tires on it, but they were naturally louder. I loved the size and look of them. That tire was a 33 1/2 inch circumference, so 1/2 inch less than the stock tires. It was also a more squared off tread, thus stuck out about 5 mm from the fender. No rubbing issues, but could possibly rub if I had the truck in the lowest setting and hit a dip. So, while I wasn't able to replace the wheels, which would have pulled them in 2 mm, I did stick with the 18mm wheels and added a 275/60/20 Pirelli All-Terrain Tire. Tread pattern matches the stock tire exactly. They're not technically designated as being made for the Rivian, but I can hear or feel no difference between these and the stock tires. Difference is, they are a 33" tire versus the stock 34" tire. In my opinion, they fit the truck much better. The 34" stock 275/65/20's dominate the wheel wells too much, even on the stock wheels. The 33's are more proportionate to the size of the truck. If I decide to go back to the stock wheels, I will put the new tires on those wheels. The stock wheels / tires rub as it is if you're in the lowest setting and hit a strong dip.

With the custom 20x9 wheel with 18mm offset, it pushes the wheel outward 30mm. With the 285/60/20, there were no rubbing issues except when in the lowest setting, same as with the stock wheels and tires. I was going to try a 20mm offset wheel, but they fell just 1mm short of clearing the caliper. With the new 275/60/20 tires, I lose 1 inch in circumference, it puts the edge of the tread just a hair inside the fender flare on the truck at the lowest suspension setting. For me, its a truck. I'm not interested in running a truck with off-road tires in the low settings. Standard or High are two places where I prefer it to be. In both of those, there's absolutely no chance of rubbing. With the 275/60/20's instead of the 33 1/2 tires at 285/60/20, you are able to run the low settings without and rubbing issues, unless, as is the case with the stock wheels and stock 34" tires, you hit a big dip, then it may rub the inner liner. The extra 1/2 inch circumference and slightly narrower size of the 275/60/20 eliminates any rubbing issues. The 275/60/20 Pirelli's are not designated as "Rivian" tires, but look exactly the same with similar load ratings. They are $248 from Tire Rack versus $394 for the same tire with the Rivian designation.

Post is not about my choice in wheels, but for those interested, to show what the fitment is with wheels/tires of these sizes. Photos below show the various fitments for your reference.........

STOCK WHEELS/TIRES - STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT (20x81/2 wheels with 48mm offset & 275/65/20 tires with 34 inch circumference)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Truck Car

STOCK WHEELS/TIRES - STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT (20x81/2 wheels with 48mm offset & 275/65/20 tires with 34 inch circumference)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

20X9 WHEELS, 18MM OFFSET WITH 275/60/20 Pirelli tires with matching tread pattern to stock tires. 33 inch circumference (1" less than stock)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

20X9 WHEELS, 18MM OFFSET WITH 275/60/20 Pirelli tires with matching tread pattern to stock tires. 33 inch circumference (1" less than stock)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Truck

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

20X9 WHEELS, 18MM OFFSET WITH 285/60/20 Mud-Terrain tires 33 1/2 inch circumference (1/2" less than stock)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

20X9 WHEELS, 18MM OFFSET WITH 285/60/20 Mud-Terrain tires 33 1/2 inch circumference (1/2" less than stock)
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

CLEARANCE COMPARISON IN LOW SUSPENSION SETTING WITH 285/60/20 MUD-TERRAIN AND 275/60/20 PIRELLI TREAD MATCH TIRES.
LAST PHOTO IS BORROWED PHOTO OF RIVIAN IN LOW SETTING WITH STOCK 20X8 1/2 INCH WHEEL WITH 275/65/20 (34 INCH TIRE CIRCUMFERENCE)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Photograph

·
Registered
R1T Adventure, Compass Yellow, Ocean Coast, Max Pack... HOPING for the removable roof
4 Posts
This is awesome! Thank you so much for doing all of that, AND writing it all down for us!! I am not excited about any of the wheel choices with the Rivian (the stock ones look like flowers, and the other ones would cost $3500 to upgrade???), so this will help me find a set of wheels/tires that will fit, and that I want.

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
562 Posts
It was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but I guess I should have included one or more of these :LOL: :) ;):p:D:giggle:

Are you saying you can't appreciate the humor in a long and detailed post about the technical aspects of tire fitment that consistently misuses the word circumference in place of diameter? I did give you the benefit of the doubt - I assumed you knew what you meant and just "misspelled" it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but I guess I should have included one or more of these :LOL: :) ;):p:D:giggle:

Are you saying you can't appreciate the humor in a long and detailed post about the technical aspects of tire fitment that consistently misuses the word circumference in place of diameter? I did give you the benefit of the doubt - I assumed you knew what you meant and just "misspelled" it.
Misspelled diameter with circumference?? Not a spelling error!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I always felt the 34" stock tires were too big for the size of the truck. The 21 and 22" wheel options both have 33" circumference tires. Posting the following to demonstrate fitment for anyone interested.

I added custom wheels. Showing these photos to demonstrate fitment, not my wheel choice. Wheels are 20x9's with an 18mm offset. I tried to swap to a 20x9 with a 20mm offset and losing that 2mm was just enough to put the wheel right up against the caliper. I originally put 285/60/20 mud-terrain tires on it, but they were naturally louder. I loved the size and look of them. That tire was a 33 1/2 inch circumference, so 1/2 inch less than the stock tires. It was also a more squared off tread, thus stuck out about 5 mm from the fender. No rubbing issues, but could possibly rub if I had the truck in the lowest setting and hit a dip. So, while I wasn't able to replace the wheels, which would have pulled them in 2 mm, I did stick with the 18mm wheels and added a 275/60/20 Pirelli All-Terrain Tire. Tread pattern matches the stock tire exactly. They're not technically designated as being made for the Rivian, but I can hear or feel no difference between these and the stock tires. Difference is, they are a 33" tire versus the stock 34" tire. In my opinion, they fit the truck much better. The 34" stock 275/65/20's dominate the wheel wells too much, even on the stock wheels. The 33's are more proportionate to the size of the truck. If I decide to go back to the stock wheels, I will put the new tires on those wheels. The stock wheels / tires rub as it is if you're in the lowest setting and hit a strong dip.

With the custom 20x9 wheel with 18mm offset, it pushes the wheel outward 30mm. With the 285/60/20, there were no rubbing issues except when in the lowest setting, same as with the stock wheels and tires. I was going to try a 20mm offset wheel, but they fell just 1mm short of clearing the caliper. With the new 275/60/20 tires, I lose 1 inch in circumference, it puts the edge of the tread just a hair inside the fender flare on the truck at the lowest suspension setting. For me, its a truck. I'm not interested in running a truck with off-road tires in the low settings. Standard or High are two places where I prefer it to be. In both of those, there's absolutely no chance of rubbing. With the 275/60/20's instead of the 33 1/2 tires at 285/60/20, you are able to run the low settings without and rubbing issues, unless, as is the case with the stock wheels and stock 34" tires, you hit a big dip, then it may rub the inner liner. The extra 1/2 inch circumference and slightly narrower size of the 275/60/20 eliminates any rubbing issues. The 275/60/20 Pirelli's are not designated as "Rivian" tires, but look exactly the same with similar load ratings. They are $248 from Tire Rack versus $394 for the same tire with the Rivian designation.

Post is not about my choice in wheels, but for those interested, to show what the fitment is with wheels/tires of these sizes. Photos below show the various fitments for your reference.........

View attachment 6830

View attachment 6831

View attachment 6832

View attachment 6833

View attachment 6834

View attachment 6835

View attachment 6837

View attachment 6838

View attachment 6839

CLEARANCE COMPARISON IN LOW SUSPENSION SETTING WITH 285/60/20 MUD-TERRAIN AND 275/60/20 PIRELLI TREAD MATCH TIRES.
LAST PHOTO IS BORROWED PHOTO OF RIVIAN IN LOW SETTING WITH STOCK 20X8 1/2 INCH WHEEL WITH 275/65/20 (34 INCH TIRE CIRCUMFERENCE)
View attachment 6841
Super helpful! the 20x9 w/ 18 offset opens up so many more options. One can sell their stock wheels/tires and get a set of 5 for less than the 20s. Since Rivian is so short on spares, Im sure there is a market for new(ish) 21 take-offs.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I assumed you knew what you meant and just "misspelled" it.
Quotation marks may be used to indicate that the meaning of the word or phrase they surround should be taken to be different from (or, at least, a modification of) that typically associated with it, and are often used in this way to express irony. (For example, in the sentence 'The lunch lady plopped a glob of "food" onto my tray.' the quotation marks around the word food show it is being called that ironically.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts