Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you program charging on existing setups? Is it from the app for the car, or the charger, or both? My SolarEdge charger has two options - the "smart charger" that comes with an app to monitor, schedule, and manage charging or you can get the much cheaper "dumb charger" but you can still monitor EV charging output from the app. I assume the Rivian app will allow one to monitor charging also, but does it allow you to control and schedule the charging? Or does it just shut off when it gets to a pre-set maximum charge?

Here's to hoping there is some sort of standard or expectation that either the car or the charger is in charge, or they'll somehow communicate but I'm doubtful about that.

Also hoping one day that as we become more dependent on renewable energy, these massive EV batteries can also act as a grid reservoir and home back-up battery. We would need battery technology to be mature enough to allow additional cycling without significantly harming longevity.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Also hoping one day that as we become more dependent on renewable energy, these massive EV batteries can also act as a grid reservoir and home back-up battery. We would need battery technology to be mature enough to allow additional cycling without significantly harming longevity.
Maybe I’m in the minority, but this feels gimmicky to me. Last thing I want is to find myself stranded or with extremely limited range because of a power outage.

Better to invest in a TeslaWall or generator, imo.

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
How do you program charging on existing setups? Is it from the app for the car, or the charger, or both? My SolarEdge charger has two options - the "smart charger" that comes with an app to monitor, schedule, and manage charging or you can get the much cheaper "dumb charger" but you can still monitor EV charging output from the app. I assume the Rivian app will allow one to monitor charging also, but does it allow you to control and schedule the charging? Or does it just shut off when it gets to a pre-set maximum charge?

Here's to hoping there is some sort of standard or expectation that either the car or the charger is in charge, or they'll somehow communicate but I'm doubtful about that.

I'm sure they will build an app to charge to a %, and likely a basic scheduling functionality from the start. They may not have the target time/smart functionality at first but that isn't a deal killer. Guess we'll see when they release an app in months ahead with the launch likely.

I'll be a while before we rely on renewables for the mass electric car conversion in years ahead. I believe if every car magically converted to an electric car at this point we would need 100s+ more nuclear plants across the USA to meet that power demand. There is so much more that environmentalist don't recognize that will take time; the power required above for example, the fact that 1 ton of lithium takes about 500,000 gallons of water to create, etc. Batteries are so not carbon neutral during creation, and the only way to offset that is to really make them last a long time and be recyclable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a smart charger, ChargePoint Home Flex for my Bolt. the only programming I did for the charger was to limit it to 40A, since it is on a 50A circuit. The Bolt only draws 32A, that is the vehicle limit.

The Bolt has all the programming I need, I set it to charge during off peak hours and can either charge to 100% or 87%, hilltop reserve. Newer Bolts have more options for limiting to other percentages. I can also tell it to delay until departure time, which is whatever I decide to set it to. Or I can tell it to charge as early as possible, taking into account off-peak rates. The on/off peak settings are programmed into the car. It is also smart enough to have a Home setting based on GPS, to make charging immediate all the time when I am away from home, i.e. at a public charger.

If Rivian has less than the Bolt, then I will definitley get the Hummer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts