Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Snow mode engaged, your R1T and R1S are optimized to handle snowy, slushy and icy on-road conditions. In addition to softening the pedal response for smoother acceleration, our tenth dedicated drive mode also helps prevent slip and wheel lock when decelerating by using a new ‘Low’ default Brake Regeneration setting and a more seamless transition to the vehicles’ Auto Hold functionality for more controlled stops in slippery conditions.

https://stories.rivian.com/software..._audience=owner&mcrid=5253723#section-3478284

A photo in this story

https://stories.rivian.com/software..._audience=owner&mcrid=5253723#section-3468914
To complement Snow mode, we’re also introducing new options for warming up your R1 cabin before leaving on (or returning from) a wintery adventure. Drivers can now use their Rivian mobile app to remotely defrost or de-ice their windows and mirrors, as well as individually turn on seat and steering wheel heating.

· Registered
2022 R1T, delivered Dec 2022, Limestone/Ocean Coast, large battery, underbody shield, 20”
44 Posts
Picked up my RT1 on Friday - the update sounds great - how long does it take to get an update once it’s released? Getting snows put on this Saturday although the Pirelli ATs on the 20” wheels are actually not bad. I’m based in rural Colorado at 8K.

· Registered
2022 R1T, delivered Dec 2022, Limestone/Ocean Coast, large battery, underbody shield, 20”
44 Posts
Once your truck is registered to you in the Rivian system I think you would expect it to be ready for install immediately…
Nope - not the case - it’s registered and based on what I’ve read on the Reddit forum the updates are not immediate - some have gotten theirs - others haven’t yet

· Registered
11 Posts
The new snow mode is BRILLIANT! We live on steep, icy roads....the R1T feels like a new vehicle in these conditions. Well done Rivian -- thank you!
PLEASE MORE details. I am on a massive slope in an icy part of hill/mountain New Jersey. I have 21 stock's and am wondering if snow mode is enough. Please give downhill details especially if you have the time to do so. Thank you in advance.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SW changes can only do so much, even with 4 motors, better throttle & braking and less regen. Tires are the answer, and if it is pure ice, then you are looking at more than snows, you are going to want studs or chains. If you travel to ski country and places with longer winters, you will see studs on even the most capable AWD cars.

· Registered
1922 Rivian R1T Adventure
9 Posts
Julian, in my opinion no special mode will make up for true dedicated winter tires. But the snow mode in my setting has made the truck feel less “on the edge” coming down steep icy grades. It feels as the softer regen setting in snow mode is less likely to stop the wheels from turning. The driver still needs to feather the pedal carefully to manage traction, but the whole experience going down hill is less “edgy.” I would still love to find a set of true winter tires for the 21” wheels…..maybe some day?

· Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
262 Posts
OK, thank you. If you find a snow tire that works on Rivian's 21s rims, let me know.
From Nokian

Use 275/50 R21 in either the Hakkapeliitta R5 SUV (non-studded) or Hakkapeliitta 10 SUV (studded).

Availability on the Nokians is a problem now, but you can find other snow tires in the same size. For example, here or here. (Please note the load rating on these tires is lower, but as long as you aren't towing or hauling heavy you should be ok. 113=2535 lbs per tire. The Rivian rear axle rating is 4960, so you would still be over that, though with less cushion for an unbalanced load.)

· Registered
44 Posts
PLEASE MORE details. I am on a massive slope in an icy part of hill/mountain New Jersey. I have 21 stock's and am wondering if snow mode is enough. Please give downhill details especially if you have the time to do so. Thank you in advance.
Get dedicated snow tires - AT’s rubber compound is too hard to get traction at low temps. All wheel drive and aggressive are meaningless.

· Registered
44 Posts
Get dedicated snow tires - AT’s rubber compound is too hard to get traction at low temps. All wheel drive and aggressive are meaningless.
Nokian Hakkepellittas are the best - I am putting LT3s on the RT1 but have been using Nokians for 20 years

· Registered
1922 Rivian R1T Adventure
9 Posts
Thanks Camaroz for the snow tire recommendation....I agree, the Hakkas are GREAT snow tires. Been using them for years. I am running them now on our Cayenne. Hopefully they will be more available next year when geopolitical issues die down....

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've really only driven them 20 miles or so, but they seem great so far. They roll nicely, quiet, not super squishy around corners or overly soft, which I would imagine is due to load rating / plys compared to other snows I have had. They feel somewhat taller for some reason, but I put a tape against both (the AT's and the Hakkas) and they appeared to be really close in terms of height. They fit the 20's perfectly and look good to boot. The real test will come with a storm though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts