Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have actual experience running snow tires (eg Blizzaks) on an R1T? We just got our first big snow in Tahoe and I was underwhelmed with the trucks handling in the snow and ice. I have the 20" AT Pirellis from the factory currently.

Looking for advice and opinions. TIA.

Z

· Registered
526 Posts
Often times the regen makes evshandle poorly in the snow. Do you feel like in general the tires are bad or when your slowing down or coasting it gets a bit squirly?

Try sing soft sand mode or other settings.
I’m sure it’s the combo of tires and a pretty heavy truck. Heavy = Bad on slick roads. With >30 years of driving in harsh winter roads I worry more about stopping than going.

I’m sure this thing will do much better with dedicated winter tires.

· Registered
2 Posts
I mounted dedicated
BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LT275/65R20 126RE BW SNOW TIRE
on my own American Racing 20X9 AR AR944 HYPER SIL +35 rims and they are perfect for Colorado Winters. I also have a set of dedicated
FIRESTONE 275/65R20 DEST M/T2 245-927 BL LRE for off-road on a second set of American Racing 20X9 AR AR944 HYPER SIL +35 rims. For DD I have the OEM 22" rims. Hope this helps. Safe travels.

· Registered
526 Posts
For the 20" wheel the Nokian is a 60 sidewall vs. 65 for the Pirellis. Does this effect anything with the smaller diameter wheel? Does it mess up the odometer or anything else?
The 60 is <4% smaller so in theory your speedometer and Odometer could be off by up to 4%. That said the 21 and 22 OEM tires are similar in size to the 60 ratio winters mentioned so it could possibly be more accurate on the smaller tire.

I’ve always run smaller OD tires in the winter. I don’t off road in the winter and feel like having the truck 1-2” lower in the winter greatly improves winter handeling. On my current rig I run 285/75-17’s (34’s) in the summer and 265/60-18’s (30’s) in the winter. More like a 7% smaller tire in the winter, no noticeable difference in Speedo or ODO.

· Registered
526 Posts
I would choose Nokian over blizzaks, have experience with both on a tesla, and the nokian or so much better.

Rivian / Nokian Tyres / Nokian Tires
I fully agree.

Another thing for all to consider it Nokians last much longer. I’m on my 8th winter on a set of Hakka 7’s on my LX. On my 5th winter on Hakka 9’s on the Tesla and still have >80% remaining on the wear indicators. I know many people that do a new set of Blizzaks every 1-2 winters.

· Registered
149 Posts
I fully agree.

Another thing for all to consider it Nokians last much longer. I’m on my 8th winter on a set of Hakka 7’s on my LX. On my 5th winter on Hakka 9’s on the Tesla and still have >80% remaining on the wear indicators. I know many people that do a new set of Blizzaks every 1-2 winters.
I am sure you know this, but just because the tread wear indicator hasn't been reached doesn't mean the tire hasn't reached its end of life. 8 years old is pretty old for a tire, especially a soft dedicated winter tire that undergoes a lot more heat cycling and where the rubber compound is an important part of its performance. The rubber begins to lose its elasticity and grip as it ages. In the past I have usually "aged out" my winter tires (including Nokians) before they have "worn out."

· Registered
526 Posts
I am sure you know this, but just because the tread wear indicator hasn't been reached doesn't mean the tire hasn't reached its end of life. 8 years old is pretty old for a tire, especially a soft dedicated winter tire that undergoes a lot more heat cycling and where the rubber compound is an important part of its performance. The rubber begins to lose its elasticity and grip as it ages. In the past I have usually "aged out" my winter tires (including Nokians) before they have "worn out."
Fully agree. I’m at the ~60% remaining indicator on the Hakka 7. Just here in the last 2 winters I rarely drive the LX (kids are teens so not shuttling as many kids, LX (heavy) is the worst snow vehicle I own, and it gets <12mpg)

I would have replaced them this winter but couldn’t get Hakka 10’s in the size needed. I’ll get new ones on next winter. I guess what getting a at is For me Hakkas are good for 5-6 winters easy. Which is at least twice as long as what I’ve (and others) get from Blizzaks.

· Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have actual experience running snow tires (eg Blizzaks) on an R1T? We just got our first big snow in Tahoe and I was underwhelmed with the trucks handling in the snow and ice. I have the 20" AT Pirellis from the factory currently.

Looking for advice and opinions. TIA.

Z
Look into Vredestein wintrac pro's! With or Without spikes! These will stop anything in snow and Ice.
Hank The Crank

· Registered
9 Posts
Often times the regen makes evshandle poorly in the snow. Do you feel like in general the tires are bad or when your slowing down or coasting it gets a bit squirly?

Try sing soft sand mode or other settings.
Recent experience for me in the snow in central Oregon would indicate it is a Regen and maybe mass issue (8500 lbs is a Lot of mass to turn). I have to be careful slowing down for corners. And when I start sliding sideways taking my foot off the gas peddle, which I do in a traditional 4wheel drive, is not helpful. I think I need more practice at learning proper snow/ice driving skills with this EV.

· Registered
12 Posts
Recent experience for me in the snow in central Oregon would indicate it is a Regen and maybe mass issue (8500 lbs is a Lot of mass to turn). I have to be careful slowing down for corners. And when I start sliding sideways taking my foot off the gas peddle, which I do in a traditional 4wheel drive, is not helpful. I think I need more practice at learning proper snow/ice driving skills with this EV.
SNpw mode should help with that, but if not try manually setting REGEN to low if able...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts