Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think one area I’m looking forward to is the unique Rivian software it seems being developed combined with the extensive lidar radar and camera equipment installed - seemingly more than a self driving capable Tesla. Questions:

1. Do we know what processing hardware is behind any MCU or the displays even?
2. Assuming we will see features in time or at launch like parking assist for parallel and perpendicular parking, dynamic cruise, lane keeping. Seems there is an interior camera for checking driver attention which is a good forward looking capability.
3. Wonder if the truck will achieve similar summon capabilities or at least basic ones?
4. Sure hope they use GPS for Tesla on things like gate/garage homelink triggering.

much is possible and likely after launch, hopefully the software updates continue to really improve the Truck/SUV!

·
Registered
475 Posts
FYI, Rivian has said LIDAR will no longer be included.
  1. Nope. Rivian has been extremely secretive of their infotainment system. We haven’t even seen high level overviews of what functionality will be offered, let alone technical details.
  2. Adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning, lane-keeping assistance are confirmed features included with every Rivian. No word on park assist.
  3. No idea on Tesla-like “summon” features. If I had to guess I’d say “no”.
  4. I really hope they DO NOT use GPS to automatically trigger HomeLink — or if they implement that then let me configure if OFF.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
94 Posts
I for one am thrilled with the feature list they have so far. Adaptive cruise, lane departure and such perfect. As far as the other gimmicky features please leave them out. Concentrate on quality of the vehicle first, then on the feature the competition has, which is MB, BMW, Lexus etc etc not Tesla. When you are humming along and producing 30k vehicle a year then go ahead and get integrated homeland or a 'summon' feature but until then focus on the big things.

·
Registered
R1S Adventure package 20 inch black wheels
9 Posts
Based on what I heard on a recent Rivian executive podcast, they will have level 3 autonomous driving included. And I believe it will be similar to what the Amazon trucks will have. And Rivian makes their own hardware and software in-house, so they have full vertical integration. Which makes it much more cohesive for upgrades and add ons, vs subcontracting some or all to other companies. The executive also stated that level 4 and especially level 5 (driver-less) are many years away, despite what some people have been advertising. (And charging thousands for;)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I agree. Tesla-like gimmick features are not what the majority of Rivian owners will want.
Add to that terrible build quality. I hope we won't have to deal with it here. Have you see the reports?

Based on what I heard on a recent Rivian executive podcast, they will have level 3 autonomous driving included. And I believe it will be similar to what the Amazon trucks will have. And Rivian makes their own hardware and software in-house, so they have full vertical integration. Which makes it much more cohesive for upgrades and add ons, vs subcontracting some or all to other companies. The executive also stated that level 4 and especially level 5 (driver-less) are many years away, despite what some people have been advertising. (And charging thousands for;)
Sounds like Rivian is on pace with timelines of well established automakers which is completely fine.

$7500 for full self-driving from Tesla is insane.
What would you guys rather pay, if anything at all?

·
Registered
4 Posts
  1. I really hope they DO NOT use GPS to automatically trigger HomeLink
Really curious why you'd say that? It's one of my favorite features on my Tesla M3. Love that I can disable locks and sentry mode while in my garage too. Thoughts on why you dislike it? Just curious...

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
94 Posts
It is cool you can have it auto trigger the garage based on gps but not something everyone always wants to happen and might not want at all. To me the vehicle needs quality before gimmick period.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Really curious why you'd say that? It's one of my favorite features on my Tesla M3. Love that I can disable locks and sentry mode while in my garage too. Thoughts on why you dislike it? Just curious...
When I come home, I open the garage because I park in the garage. When my wife comes home, she does not open the garage, because she parks in the driveway (other half of our typical 2 car garage is filled with workbench/tools/motorcycles).

My point is there are families who will want to have their garage door programmed into HomeLink, but who may not want the door automatically opened when they get close to their house.

If the feature exists, it should be configurable.

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is cool you can have it auto trigger the garage based on gps but not something everyone always wants to happen and might not want at all. To me the vehicle needs quality before gimmick period.
Yeah it is. They likely will I'd bet unless they have the hardware buttons for it on mirror for example. Since Tesla didn't have the hardware buttons (~3 on mirror most makers have or on roof), they just allowed for you to set it on screen. It uses GPS to show up as you approach that location again so you can manually press it. It was optional also to have it auto trigger. I'm perfectly fine with the regular old buttons on mirror as well which is like our BMW we own.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
94 Posts
Just to add something here... I would so much more prefer Apple CarPlay/Android Auto over summon or things like that. Since a Honda/Hyundai/VW has both why not an 80k vehicle? If I had to prioritize features the phone integration would be leaps and bounds higher than summon.

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did notice now in the pics (when looked at white interior better, the interior camera facing driver better).

No homelink buttons on mirror, but perhaps they are related to that little hamburger button next to falshers button.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
94 Posts
No homelink buttons on mirror, but perhaps they are related to that little hamburger button next to falshers button.
My new Audis have Homelink as a virtual button in the console, not a physical button at all. Seemed really odd at first but very simple and removes the cluster.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
235 Posts
I like the way Tesla geolocates and automatically opens the garage door, but agree that it should be configurable as to whether you want it automatic or manual.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It'd be trivial for the geolocation to perform a popup window on the touchscreen with the garage-door buttons so that the driver would still be the deciding factor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts