Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Well, better battery durability & longevity were part of the upgrade!
On a serious note, and something in the release notes, turning off gear guard when not needed will reduce range loss by up to 20%

· Super Moderator
570 Posts
Well, better battery durability & longevity were part of the upgrade!
On a serious note, and something in the release notes, turning off gear guard when not needed will reduce range loss by up to 20%
Whenever it is that my Rivian is delivered, it will be my first EV, so apologize in advance if this is a silly question: What do you mean when you say that "turning off gear guard when not needed will reduce range loss by up to 20%"?

I understand that having it off while stationary will reduce the drain on the battery, and so preserves capacity. Is this preservation what you mean in saying that this reduces range loss? Or is it the case that Gear Guard is always on by default, even while driving, and turning it off when moving again means less overall drain, effectively reducing range loss?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whenever it is that my Rivian is delivered, it will be my first EV, so apologize in advance if this is a silly question: What do you mean when you say that "turning off gear guard when not needed will reduce range loss by up to 20%"?

I understand that having it off while stationary will reduce the drain on the battery, and so preserves capacity. Is this preservation what you mean in saying that this reduces range loss? Or is it the case that Gear Guard is always on by default, even while driving, and turning it off when moving again means less overall drain, effectively reducing range loss?
Gear guard is the security camera feature. It chews up the battery even if you’re not driving and if you have people setting it off. So if you turn off the feature, you will have longer battery life and hence more mileage.

· Super Moderator
570 Posts
Gear guard is the security camera feature. It chews up the battery even if you’re not driving and if you have people setting it off. So if you turn off the feature, you will have longer battery life and hence more mileage.
I understand that it's the security feature advertised by the camera-wielding yeti and that turning if off will result in less current drain. That will only be the case however if the vehicle is parked and not connected to shore power, no?

If you are plugged in and charging, you will wind up with the same battery capacity whether or not Gear Guard is on. Similarly, if you are on a trip and stop to recharge, there would be no impact to range from having the Gear Guard on or off. So turning the feature off only has range implications for the times when you are parked stand-alone as in a lot or on the street.

Perhaps I missing something and the feature is somehow on when moving, so drawing current the same way that heat or a/c would?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts