Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's doubtful, but was curious if anyone's heard of any solar power attachments that could potentially store some power or build power as you're driving that can sustain a drive past the normal limits without having to stop for charging. I was thinking about it today that it would be really neat if their was an attachment, specifically for the R1T, that could fit the molds of the bed racks with an attachment to the power box in the bed.

I think that would be pretty awesome if there was something that could give an extra 50-100 miles of range - I know I'd pay for that attachment. Any thoughts or anyone hear rumblings about anything like that?

·
Registered
153 Posts
There is a solar tonneau cover, but as someone rightfully pointed out to me in another thread, the best solar panels on the market today operating in the sunniest locations will only get you about 1kw per sq foot. That's nowhere near enough to be useful as a range extender.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Welcome @braincontrol365.
There is a solar tonneau cover, but as someone rightfully pointed out to me in another thread, the best solar panels on the market today operating in the sunniest locations will only get you about 1kw per sq foot. That's nowhere near enough to be useful as a range extender.
Very true. I think on average it works out to be an additional 12-15 miles of range.

What range would get you guys to seriously consider a solar tonneau cover?
Because I was thinking at least 50 to make it worth while.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome @braincontrol365.

Very true. I think on average it works out to be an additional 12-15 miles of range.

What range would get you guys to seriously consider a solar tonneau cover?
Because I was thinking at least 50 to make it worth while.
Depending on the cost. If you tell me that $500 would give those 15 extra miles, I will take it. Those 15 miles might take you to the nearest power outlet and save the day. More than that, it's a no-go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You're right about that @thrill. Most solar panels are around 20% efficient at converting sunlight to energy. It makes more sense to put them on your home and use it to offset the electric bill. There are some light weight flexible solar modules that could be used as a trickle charger while camping. Tesla is in the business of making solar panels, but Elon has said it doesn't make sense to use them on EV's.

Lightyear One claims they can add 43 miles of range per day with 5 square meters of solar cells built into the body. Technology — Lightyear One — Ultra Efficient Solar Car

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'll trust all your math on it and suspect that it's not a cost effective option to look at. Shame though - that would be pretty awesome.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
307 Posts
It wouldn’t be solar powered, but Rivian has applied for some patents that would support a “Jerry can” battery. Kinda like an external battery extender for your phone only on a much larger scale. Weight, cost and how you’d store/load/connect such a thing are all major hurdles they’d need to solve for.

Reactions: R1T_TX_RHP
1 - 8 of 8 Posts