Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have recently installed a 10.4kW solar system on my roof with two inverters, one of which has a level 2 EV charger built into it. It allows for direct DC charging straight from the panels without inverting the current to AC then DC, making it up to 7 times faster than a standard Level 1 charger, and more efficient. But is it compatible? I would assume I just need the right adapter, correct? Anyone else out there planning to or already charging their EV's with the SolarEdge?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have recently installed a 10.4kW solar system on my roof with two inverters, one of which has a level 2 EV charger built into it. It allows for direct DC charging straight from the panels without inverting the current to AC then DC, making it up to 7 times faster than a standard Level 1 charger, and more efficient. But is it compatible? I would assume I just need the right adapter, correct? Anyone else out there planning to or already charging their EV's with the SolarEdge?
Based on everything I've seen it should be good to work with the Rivian as long as it fits the charge port.

·
Registered
817 Posts
AFAIK, Level 2 charging with a J1772 (without CCS Type 1) is still A/C. Does your EVSE have the CCS Type 1 combo connector? I'm not aware of how you could support DC charging with just the J1772.

·
Registered
88 Posts
EV Charging Single Phase Inverter | SolarEdge US
SolarEdge's EV charging single phase inverter offers homeowners the ability to charge electric vehicles up to six times faster than a standard Level 1 charger through an innovative solar boost mode that utilizes grid and PV charging simultaneously. This product is the world's first EV charger with an integrated PV inverter.
Reducing the hassle of installing separately a standalone EV charger and a PV inverter, the EV charging inverter eliminates the need for additional wiring, conduit and a breaker installation. By installing an EV charger that is integrated with an inverter, no additional dedicated circuit breaker is needed, saving space and ruling out a potential upgrade to the main distribution panel.
It sounds like a misunderstanding of the product. This looks like a regular ol' 240VAC Level 2 charger that is six times faster than a Level 1 (standard wall plug) charger. It is not a DC charger. It's using the inverter that's backfeeding to the grid.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It sounds like a misunderstanding of the product. This looks like a regular ol' 240VAC Level 2 charger that is six times faster than a Level 1 (standard wall plug) charger. It is not a DC charger. It's using the inverter that's backfeeding to the grid.
That makes much more sense. If that's correct, there's no reason it shouldn't be compatible with any modern EV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'm not that smart when it comes to this stuff. The site says it's compatible with all major EV brands as of 2019.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts