Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The latest news on the progress of solid-state battery technology has me wondering if waiting a while longer before jumping in to a BEV may be worthwhile.

Solid-state batteries offer a ton of advantages over existing Li-ion technology: Higher energy density, faster re-charging, longer cycle life and much better operation at temperature extremes. These advantages are more than theoretical at this point and are confirmed by a new data release by QuantumScape (a spinoff company from Stanford that VW has partnered with). Hard on QuantumScape's heels is a competing SS battery from Toyota. Both VW & Toyota claim to be planning (and able) to use solid-state batteries in vehicles beginning in 2025.

The extended wait time that I and many others who pre-ordered an R1S but need the Max Battery Pack will need endure may be a blessing in disguise. There will certainly be much more information on the progress of solid-state batteries before the R1S Max Pack will deliver (based on Rivian stating that there will be an "announcement" of this configuration in early 2022, my guess is that delivery will be early 2023.)

Assuming that the performance of solid-state batteries turns out to be real and not hype, it may be worth another 24 months for the technology.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes I saw the Toyota announcement and was intrigued by it. Oddly Tesla doesn’t seem to be exploring that technology much instead focusing on changing chemistry and cell design to achieve more range.
My personal opinion is that BEV vehicles are like computers and every year we will see significant improvements over previous models. You can always wait for the next best thing but you need to jump in sometime. I preordered a launch edition in LA silver with green interior. I hesitated on waiting for the max Pack battery but figured the extra 10k wasn’t worth it especially as refinements in software will improve range and charging infrastructure will catch up.
VW or Toyota aren’t making cars I care to own so I jumped in with Rivian.
I do still have one of the first cyber truck pre orders ( I think I’m roughly number 1800 based on what I’ve read decoding reservation numbers) but it’s just too big and too ugly for me to want to live with for 5+ years despite Tesla being further ahead with service and super chargers. I may buy it still and try to resell it to make a quick buck.
I made my choice to jump in now with Rivian.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I saw the Toyota announcement and was intrigued by it. Oddly Tesla doesn’t seem to be exploring that technology much instead focusing on changing chemistry and cell design to achieve more range.
My personal opinion is that BEV vehicles are like computers and every year we will see significant improvements over previous models. You can always wait for the next best thing but you need to jump in sometime. I preordered a launch edition in LA silver with green interior. I hesitated on waiting for the max Pack battery but figured the extra 10k wasn’t worth it especially as refinements in software will improve range and charging infrastructure will catch up.
VW or Toyota aren’t making cars I care to own so I jumped in with Rivian.
I do still have one of the first cyber truck pre orders ( I think I’m roughly number 1800 based on what I’ve read decoding reservation numbers) but it’s just too big and too ugly for me to want to live with for 5+ years despite Tesla being further ahead with service and super chargers. I may buy it still and try to resell it to make a quick buck.
I made my choice to jump in now with Rivian.
Ironically, I also have a pre-order for the Tesla CT and also like you, think it's both ugly and too big. Tesla does have advantages however, particularly with regard to battery technology. You can make a good argument for the FSD tri-motor CT with more than 500 miles of range but once you factor looks in, the Rivian is the winner. I hadn't thought about potentially flipping the CT - I ordered mine with FSD before the price increase, so nominally can offer a bit of a bargain to a new buyer. I hear that Tesla may block the transfer of the FSD upgrade in a secondary sale however. Still, it's worth keeping an eye on.

In the end, I came to a similar conclusion - that it's not worth chasing the newest technology. I need the added range for trailer towing however, and changed my configuration to the R1T with the Max. I know I will have to wait a while but hope that I can take delivery in late 2022.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im in the same boat. That 500 miles of new technology is sure sweet but man that thing is just too much explanation to all of my friends . Plus,that bird in hand is still better. I still have not collected my refund on my Tri motor CT with FSD, don’t see them allowing us to flip it. I also feel like that cyber quad would be cool to ride along in my R1T so sticking it out till I have to configure it and pay the rest. Case of morbid curiosity at this point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I believe Rivian is already on top of this development. And that to hold out might be a marketing strategy. At the same time it might be wise to make sure that the Solid-State
500 Range Battery Packs are offered in the R1S to be released in 2022!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with the “chasing tech” arguments. Batteries will need to improve in the future regardless, due to lithium mining and production limitations. I am viewing my purchase of the R1T as investing in the future— and having fun doing it! I am ready to switch over from ICE now— waiting for solid state to not only be developed enough, but also then engineered, adapted, and produced for the R1T at some point in the future, without any indication on it‘s effect on range, is too long for me. I trust Rivian will be on it when it makes sense for them. Hopefully it makes sense for me to upgrade when the time comes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts