Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that solid stare battery technology is almost here and ready to be deployed. What would it mean to the EV cars we buy today and their value in next couple of years from now?
Is it worth waiting for Rivian V2 with solid state battery? What do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
I don't agree with that assessment. Fisker recently dropped all solid-state efforts, stating that it's a Uber-hard nut to crack. I believe the specific sentiment was that they quickly got to 90% of where they needed to be, and then realized the remaining 10% was more work than the previous 90%.

We'll see solid state battery tech, eventually, but even optimistic estimates have it 5 years out; conservative estimates are even further in the future.

Some people will be able to buy a R1T and will trade it in on their second before solid state batteries see widespread consumer use.

The key lesson is that there is ALWAYS new tech "around the corner". Faster, stronger, lighter -- whatever. Buy when you're ready to buy. You're probably going to be in the market, again, in 3-10 years, anyway, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
It seems that solid stare battery technology is almost here and ready to be deployed. What would it mean to the EV cars we buy today and their value in next couple of years from now?
Is it worth waiting for Rivian V2 with solid state battery? What do you guys think?
"Almost here" like commercial flights to Mars. Even companies that have been working on it for years are looking at 2025, at the earliest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems that some solid state batteries already being used for years for electric buses:
It may not be that long as you think to make it into the mainstream EVs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
That's an interesting article. It looks like the Blue Solutions battery doesn't require cooling, but the operating temperature is 50-70 degrees C (122-158 F). That can work for busses that operate over long periods of time, but doesn't work so well for passenger vehicles that are used intermittently. They are developing a battery with a lower operating temperature, expected to reach the market in 2026.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
It seems that some solid state batteries already being used for years for electric buses:
It may not be that long as you think to make it into the mainstream EVs.
To riff on the Fisker quote from earlier this week, some companies are 90% of the way there but it's the last 10% that's the most difficult. Unlikely to see anything in a car before 2025.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
It seems that some solid state batteries already being used for years for electric buses:
It may not be that long as you think to make it into the mainstream EVs.
Still seems like a long way away. They mentioned they tried it in a car in 2015 and it was not successful as you had to bring the batteries up to temperature before you could use them. They also state they have two lines running 24/7 and are producing 500 MWh a year, that would only supply 3700 Rivian mid packs (135 KWh) a year. Those are 2 huge hurdles to clear before they could get into the standard auto industry and scale to make a company profitable. They do talk about duty cycle being 4000 cycles at full capacity, that is impressive but no mention about charge rates.

This all seems to be in line with many of the other people who are developing this technology. I still think we are looking at the end of the decade before there is any real impact on this technology in the EV market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
So...could it be that Rivian is working on Solid-State Battery for a portable power bank to extend range as needed?

Seems much more plausible at this stage to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,193 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Curious to see what breakthroughs the industry has with these.

A Japanese company working on them had one recently.
And one more. 5min charge
 

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
Joined
·
2 Posts
Tesla is still 1-2 years away from the 4680 cell being in full production which tells me solid states is much farther than that.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top