Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I understand that there have been more reviews of the R1T published because more R1Ts have been made, I am still a little surprised there haven't been any in-depth reviews of the R1S (especially since the most recent filings show that several have been "delivered.") With the popularity of the SUVs, I would have imagined that at least one of the larger publications would have been given an opportunity to review it and publish its findings. Although the R1S will likely be essentially identical to R1T, but in an SUV form, I would still like to see it reviewed.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Won't happen until Rivian "curates" an event like they did for the R1T with select journalists in CO.
Nothing indicates that they would want to do otherwise - at least based on the outcome of the CO event, and the subsequent press and reaction by the public and public markets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Won't happen until Rivian "curates" an event like they did for the R1T with select journalists in CO.
Nothing indicates that they would want to do otherwise - at least based on the outcome of the CO event, and the subsequent press and reaction by the public and public markets.
I will volunteer to ride-along on on the R1S TAT trip :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed that they would want a staged even for this. Surprised that they haven’t set that up yet, considering they have a few R1S already released.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While I understand that there have been more reviews of the R1T published because more R1Ts have been made, I am still a little surprised there haven't been any in-depth reviews of the R1S (especially since the most recent filings show that several have been "delivered.") With the popularity of the SUVs, I would have imagined that at least one of the larger publications would have been given an opportunity to review it and publish its findings. Although the R1S will likely be essentially identical to R1T, but in an SUV form, I would still like to see it reviewed.
I'm fairly certain that the major press event in Colorado didn't happen until the first R1ts had begun rolling off the assembly line. That's when R1ts were made available to selected publications and websites. I think we can expect the same for the R1s.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does the third row fold flat or have the ability to remove from R1S?
Does the second row fold?
I saw the CEO laying down in the back of the SUV at 6 feet with it all flat, but a Rivian worker replied to me on FB and said the third row doesn't fold? Thanks for any info; I will buy it anyway, but if it is permanent and does not have the ability to pull out, I will drop the third row. Kid hauling days behind me, but I do like the extra seating. Ford had GM beat on this for years with electronic third rows folding flat, why I switched from Suburbans to a Navigator L. GM finally caught up a few years ago, seats too heavy for many to remove.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agreed that they would want a staged even for this. Surprised that they haven’t set that up yet, considering they have a few R1S already released.
I don't think any R1s vehicles intended for sale to the public have come off the assembly line yet. I believe that R1s production is estimated to begin in December and that they expect only 15 to be complete by year's end.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm fairly certain that the major press event in Colorado didn't happen until the first R1ts had begun rolling off the assembly line. That's when R1ts were made available to selected publications and websites. I think we can expect the same for the R1s.
That would make sense. I thought the SEC filings indicated that the first few R1Ss have not only rolled off the line, but have already been delivered. You may be right though. Definitely something to look forward to, as I fully expect to not have mine delivered until likely mid-2023. Would be nice to get a test drive as well, but with a somewhat late reservation, I’ll be lucky to get invited to just look at it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Does the third row fold flat or have the ability to remove from R1S?
Does the second row fold?
I saw the CEO laying down in the back of the SUV at 6 feet with it all flat, but a Rivian worker replied to me on FB and said the third row doesn't fold? Thanks for any info; I will buy it anyway, but if it is permanent and does not have the ability to pull out, I will drop the third row. Kid hauling days behind me, but I do like the extra seating. Ford had GM beat on this for years with electronic third rows folding flat, why I switched from Suburbans to a Navigator L. GM finally caught up a few years ago, seats too heavy for many to remove.
Given the choice to accept information from a random Facebook post or from the CEO:

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
222 Posts
The vehicle isn't out yet, why would there be any reviews. You can talk about random posts showing pics but no one has taken delivery of an R1S at this time. Reviews I am sure will come out in droves, considering how much press the R1T has gotten.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agree with all of the comments that this will be carefully staged. They are going to ride the R1T through the end of November and am anticipating they will be focusing on the PR around the R1S and have that be December and January. This is all about a public company that is going to be very carefully making sure they maximize the PR of both vehicles to their full extent and not dilute the messaging.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The vehicle isn't out yet, why would there be any reviews. You can talk about random posts showing pics but no one has taken delivery of an R1S at this time. Reviews I am sure will come out in droves, considering how much press the R1T has gotten.
Deliveries for the R1S have not started yet. Period.
No journalist R1S events = no reviews. And the ink is hardly dry on R1T reviews.

Looking forward to R1S event soon like they did for the trucks, expect flood of reviews for R1s after.....my bet is January.

Thank you all for the input. For some reasons, I was under the impression that the first dozen or so vehicles have either rolled off the line or been delivered (to the employees). Since they haven't, it's no great surprise that there haven't been reviews. Looking forward to hopefully seeing something by late-December/early-January. Not sure it'll reveal anything that will make me change my mind, but just something to keep the excitement going until the delivery date.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think its smart on Rivians part to only show the R1T thus far in any events with customers or reviewers. Why cannibalize marketing and hype across two vehicles? And they could have started with either vehicles IMO but makes sense to start with the T. There were/are zero electric trucks in production prior to T. So a lot of natural interest and hype. Get that out the door, show the capability, show they know what theyre doing.
The S also doesn't have anything like the Gear tunnel or camp kitchen so there isn't as big a wow factor IMO. So probably better to lead with the T. Don't get me wrong, the S is going to be an amazing vehicle in its own right especially when compared to anything else out there but another reason it makes sense to come after the T.

All that being said, lets get some damn Ss out there. :geek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think its smart on Rivians part to only show the R1T thus far in any events with customers or reviewers. Why cannibalize marketing and hype across two vehicles? And they could have started with either vehicles IMO but makes sense to start with the T. There were/are zero electric trucks in production prior to T. So a lot of natural interest and hype. Get that out the door, show the capability, show they know what theyre doing.
The S also doesn't have anything like the Gear tunnel or camp kitchen so there isn't as big a wow factor IMO. So probably better to lead with the T. Don't get me wrong, the S is going to be an amazing vehicle in its own right especially when compared to anything else out there but another reason it makes sense to come after the T.

All that being said, lets get some damn Ss out there. :geek:
Don’t hold your breath.
i predict earliest R1S deliveries will be at least a year from now if that. Reviews on prototypes will precede this like the T, and now that we are finally seeing R1Ts being delivered to non employees.. oh wait. Never mind

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don’t hold your breath.
i predict earliest R1S deliveries will be at least a year from now if that. Reviews on prototypes will precede this like the T, and now that we are finally seeing R1Ts being delivered to non employees.. oh wait. Never mind
Per the S1 they project delivering the first R1Ss by the end of 2021:

By the end of 2021, we intend to produce approximately 1,200 R1Ts and 25 R1Ss and deliver approximately 1,000 R1Ts and 15 R1Ss.

If they deliver zero R1Ss in the next 6 months there will be lawsuits. Tesla’s ramp up was slower than their targets by a few months for the Model 3 and they were talking lawsuits.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Per the S1 they project delivering the first R1Ss by the end of 2021:

By the end of 2021, we intend to produce approximately 1,200 R1Ts and 25 R1Ss and deliver approximately 1,000 R1Ts and 15 R1Ss.

If they deliver zero R1Ss in the next 6 months there will be lawsuits. Tesla’s ramp up was slower than their targets by a few months for the Model 3 and they were talking lawsuits.
A lawsuit based on ...?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A lawsuit based on ...?
There won't be lawsuits, but now that they are a publicly traded corporation, I suspect they'll make a conscious effort to do what they can to live up to their predictions. Won't work out for everything, but unless they are genuinely behind on development of the S, I doubt they will want to fail to deliver on that prediction this early on. Plus, as popular as the trucks will be, I suspect at least 40%-50% of the reservations are for the SUV, so unless they will have to significantly sacrifice total production in order to produce R1Ss, I suspect they'll at least try to get some of them out (to create the illusion that they are being delivered). But your guess is as good as mine, so I guess only time will show.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.