Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to secure a spare tire kit from a Rivian Service Center but am concerned about the Jack that comes with the kit. I have read that a pneumatic air Jack would work well given that the Rivian has a onboard compressor. Does anyone have suggestions on a Jack that would fit in the gear...

· Registered
348 Posts
Thanks. Any reason why you would go with a 20 ton vs 5 ton?
Since it's a single wheel lift to change a flat, you'd need the 5ton unit, as it is plenty of capacity!

You will have to use the platform to give the jack added height since the full extension is 16.93" and depending on the conditions you might need a good bit of that.

Additionally the top cap of that bottle jack is in no way designed to lift a car and you'd need to fabricate a puck that will integrate with the jack and fit the lifting point on the R1's...

· Registered
38 Posts
What else would a jack be used to lift besides a car? I agree the top is not flanged, but better than a scissor jack imo. 20 over 5 because more is always better! (similar size and price, just more heavy duty). It would be awesome if one of the Puck companies eventually made a Puck with a recessed lip that these bottle Jack's cap would fit into. This type of jack was recommended I was a video review I saw and I thought it was a good idea. Lifted my 4runner in a flash. Very stable.

· Registered
348 Posts
What else would a jack be used to lift besides a car? I agree the top is not flanged, but better than a scissor jack imo. 20 over 5 because more is always better! (similar size and price, just more heavy duty). It would be awesome if one of the Puck companies eventually made a Puck with a recessed lip that these bottle Jack's cap would fit into. This type of jack was recommended I was a video review I saw and I thought it was a good idea. Lifted my 4runner in a flash. Very stable.
I use a similiar one in a press I fabricated many moons ago. The air/hydro makes them great. It'll work, you just need the adapter...

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since it's a single wheel lift to change a flat, you'd need the 5ton unit, as it is plenty of capacity!

You will have to use the platform to give the jack added height since the full extension is 16.93" and depending on the conditions you might need a good bit of that.

Additionally the top cap of that bottle jack is in no way designed to lift a car and you'd need to fabricate a puck that will integrate with the jack and fit the lifting point on the R1's...
Thanks for the info. I ordered a puck from EV Sportline, I take it that the top cap is too small to work well with the Puck? Does the platform you mentioned come with the pneumatic Jack or will I need to come up with one on my own? Thanks again.

· Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for the info. I ordered a puck from EV Sportline, I take it that the top cap is too small to work well with the Puck? Does the platform you mentioned come with the pneumatic Jack or will I need to come up with one on my own? Thanks again.
The platform is the composite base that Rivian includes in their spare tire scissor Jack kit.

· Registered
13 Posts
I was able to secure a spare tire kit from a Rivian Service Center but am concerned about the Jack that comes with the kit. I have read that a pneumatic air Jack would work well given that the Rivian has a onboard compressor. Does anyone have suggestions on a Jack that would fit in the gear...
Search some of the other discussions for comments about the onboard "compressor" (more of an "inflator") not being robust enough to power a pneumatic jack.

· Registered
2022 R1T no spare, no tonneau, El Cap, dark 22's
78 Posts
Will not, as it offers both a smaller surface and in my opinion an unstable surface.
I had ordered the big red, 10 ton had the same lift, and I read your post and agree the top would be unstable. cancelled order and went with 3 ton which is like 80 pounds. yikes. not for the truck but the garage. When the truck comes, next week?, I'll take one of the goop kits from the Tesla and carry it with me. I'll also carry a puck and a breaker bar with a plastic coated 1/2 inch socket and let AAA do the rest. thanks al for the information.
Ray

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had ordered the big red, 10 ton had the same lift, and I read your post and agree the top would be unstable. cancelled order and went with 3 ton which is like 80 pounds. yikes. not for the truck but the garage. When the truck comes, next week?, I'll take one of the goop kits from the Tesla and carry it with me. I'll also carry a puck and a breaker bar with a plastic coated 1/2 inch socket and let AAA do the rest. thanks al for the information.
Ray
Thanks for the info.

· Registered
7 Posts
Ray
1/2 inch socket? The lug nuts are actually 22mm.

· Registered
11 Posts
How about the method that the Citroen DS19 used 60 years ago? Raise the truck to highest level, put a stand under the truck and lower the suspension to the lowest setting. Hopefully that will leave the tire off the ground, with that part of the vehicle supported by the stand. Nice and light and pretty compact (though not as compact as a bottle jack).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts