Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it looks like what will be rolling off in the production models will have 4 arms on the steering column and two paddles on/behind the steering wheel as well as a mouse type scrollers on each side of the steering wheel. I'm very curious to know the actual controls. I like this layout as I'm not a big fan of having touch screen controls on the center screen to control some of the driving functions, but for the life of me I can't imagine what the paddles will control?

1 arm for what drive mode (P, R, D)?
1 arm for wipers?
1 arm for cruise options?
1 arm for ????

Mouse scrollers? Maybe for scrolling through the two screens options or at very least the driver screen?

Steering wheel paddles?????

Anyone got more details on this?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
As for the arms, I think its safe to assume the functions will be very traditional. Rivian wanted to use industry proven parts and the steering column arms might be part of that. So far no one seems to know the exact functions.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Well in this photo there's one arm for wipers and one arm for cruise control.

In this photo you can see an arm for the drive mode and I think for ride height. Rivian has the one for drive modes in a similar spot for the delivery van.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Aside from more important functions like controlling regen, does anyone think these should also function as paddle shifters? Rivian's might not have gears but it could better the experience and maybe provide some better off-road control.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror
Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Plant Steering wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive design
Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Gear shift

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
Probably like Tesla (S and X)

1 for P/D/N/R on right
1 for wiper on right
1 for blinkers on left
1 small on left for cruise/autonomous like Tesla Autopilot had.

It’s a great setup.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I watched a review of the latest Ferrari Roma, and they moved the windshield wiper controls from a dedicated stalk to a knob on the steering wheel. I think this looks cool, and is actually quite functional, considering I always leave the setting on "Automatic" anyway. I hope more automakers move to this type of control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts