Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
I'll concede an increased tail risk, but having ones phone connected over USB at all will probably account for most of the risk from that style of attack. And, I readily admit this is total speculation, but I bet you'll be able to treat your phone like an ipod with rudimentary start/stop of now-playing and browsing of the music library like most pre-carplay head units. If that holds true, they're bearing all the risk of having that physical data connection while offering a compromised user experience. But that's my take based on my assumptions.

And yes, RDP is a crappy protocol. But it's also usually carried over a hostile network -- which I hope is not an apt description of the USB cable between your phone and your car. The underlying pattern though is the app and its data live somewhere other than where it's being displayed. The car (or software running on it) can copy the video stream off, but it doesn't have direct access to crawl through the library of text messages (which is not something that can be said for other voice control implementations).

Wireless CarPlay connects with a dedicated WiFi SSID. No reason the car shouldn't have that VLAN'd off into it's own private network where it can't connect to anything important, anyway.

UNSUBSCRIBE. I'm buying a Rivian. It's an all new, fully electric truck from a brand new and unproven company. Accidents are the 3rd highest leading cause of death in the US. I ski, surf, MTB. I fish on boats in lightening storms. I have used CarPlay for 5 years and never had a security problem. My current car has a WiFi hotspot. Goodbye.

Calm down peeps. Tesla doesn't support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay and they are doing just fine. And it took them time to start integrating music apps into their system. Rivian will probably end up taking a similar path. Rivian could decide to support it if demand is strong enough, its a simple OTA update in the future. That shouldn't be a deal breaker when buying a vehicle like this, I would think.

Calm down peeps. Tesla doesn't support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay and they are doing just fine. And it took them time to start integrating music apps into their system. Rivian will probably end up taking a similar path. Rivian could decide to support it if demand is strong enough, its a simple OTA update in the future. That shouldn't be a deal breaker when buying a vehicle like this, I would think.
It may not be a deal breaker for you. But not everyone feels the same.

AFAIK, they're using mapbox as their underlying map/navigation layer. Some frame grabs from videos seem to confirm that Spotify will be supported for music streaming.

I'm not aware of any other juicy tidbits. There are a LOT of people disappointed that CarPlay/AA are not being included, and many of us -- myself included -- are anxiously awaiting information on how well Rivian will integrate with our chosen ecosystem.

For me, personally, if Rivian doesn't provide first-class SMS integration (I think they will) and first-class Apple Music integration (this is where I think they may disappoint me) then I will seriously consider letting my reservation go and I'll use my GMC Hummer EV reservation, instead. Simple Bluetooth audio streaming is NOT sufficient for me. I need quality integration where I can actually interact with the music service and choose playlists, use voice controls to play a specific song/album/artist, see album art, and it needs to feel responsive.
Rivian thinks Spotify and Amazon Music will be enough. No. If you are in the forest without wifi or cell service, you have NO streaming music. NONE.

Rivian thinks Spotify and Amazon Music will be enough. No. If you are in the forest without wifi or cell service, you have NO streaming music. NONE.
Music doesn't have to be "streaming". You can download music for offline listening.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.