Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my truck on Monday. Charged fine for 3 days. Amazing to drive! This morning i checked the app to view the charging session summary from last night and then swiped up on my iphone to quit all my apps. An error msg popped up that said something like “closing the app will lose communication with the vehicle”. Didnt think much of it but when opening the app again there was a red indicator “vehicle error”.
Now it won’t charge. Display on truck says unplug and try again. Did this several times. The wall charger clicks to charge, everything green, 5 secs later clicks off and port turns red. Called service, rebooted truck, same issue.
Now waiting for a call back to schedule mobile service. What a bummer…..

· Registered
505 Posts
Got my truck on Monday. Charged fine for 3 days. Amazing to drive! This morning i checked the app to view the charging session summary from last night and then swiped up on my iphone to quit all my apps. An error msg popped up that said something like “closing the app will lose communication with the vehicle”. Didnt think much of it but when opening the app again there was a red indicator “vehicle error”.
Now it won’t charge. Display on truck says unplug and try again. Did this several times. The wall charger clicks to charge, everything green, 5 secs later clicks off and port turns red. Called service, rebooted truck, same issue.
Now waiting for a call back to schedule mobile service. What a bummer…..
Might want to try a CCS charger if one is around you. When the onboard charger on my Tesla failed I had to use Superchargers while they got the replacement parts and an appointment scheduled.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good tip! Just drive to local mall for a 50kw evgo ccs and am charging! 85mi/hr rate of charge. Hopefully can solve home charger issue soon but in the meantime this will work.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought I would try the included portable charger on 110v but still have same issue. Red port and stops charging after 10secs. Definitely something going on with the truck. Thank god for the CSS at the Mall! Hoping Rivian Service gets back to me soon

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I would try the included portable charger on 110v but still have same issue. Red port and stops charging after 10secs. Definitely something going on with the truck. Thank god for the CSS at the Mall! Hoping Rivian Service gets back to me soon

· Registered
2022 R1T Very Canyon Red
24 Posts
So I had this same experience with using my Tesla charger with the Lectron adaptor. It worked splendidly for about three weeks after the R1T arrives, and then one night it just stopped charging and reported that very same "vehicle error". Unplugged, replugged, same result. I called the SC and filed a ticket. Then, I took it to a Tesla Level 2 charger at a gym in my town and the vehicle charged like a champ at 50amps. Okay... so then I took it to a chargepoint and it charged up perfectly without the Lectron adaptor in the middle. So I vindicated the truck and the adaptor and bought an Autel charger online... and now the vehicle charges flawlessly and the Tesla charger is in a box in my garage. I can't explain why it stopped working, but it appears that the charger is the part of the charging chain that failed. Interesting...

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is interesting. There is a 6.6kw charger at the local high school. I will try that this morning. So far the portable rivian charger and the Lectron wall charger throws an error. Fast charge at mall has been good.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just tried the Chargepoint level2 charger at the school. Same issue. Seems its a Level2 issue with the truck. Will see. Hopefully will hear back after the Holiday.

· Registered
112 Posts
Just tried the Chargepoint level2 charger at the school. Same issue. Seems its a Level2 issue with the truck. Will see. Hopefully will hear back after the Holiday.
Seems the actual on-board L2 charger has failed, since all of the L2 ‘chargers’ you’ve used cause the failure. Of course L2 ’chargers’ are only cables which simply supply the AC to the onboard L2 charger/inverter in the truck. Good luck.

· Registered
83 Posts
Did you check the voltage at home? Have a multimeter handy? I really hope charging issues come with error codes to troubleshoot in the future!

My portable charger wouldn't work. I found that if you leave it plugged into the vehicle and unplug from source/outlet it would reset.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update…Finally got a service appointment scheduled for Monday at the Chelsea service center. Rivian will provide a rental car. Hoping to get this resolved in a couple days. Glad level3 has kept me going but charging everyday for 90min at the mall is starting to be a drag.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fixed! Chelsea MA service center replaced the onboard charger and I am charging again at home. Good experience. They provided a rental car thru Enterprise. A 2022 Jeep Wagoneer no less! What a boat to drive. Made me miss my R1T! Dropped Monday morning and picked up Tuesday afternoon. Cannot really ask for more. I did find a service bulletin when I googled the part number. dot.report Bulletins
Seems a faulty component caused the issue. Just posting here in the event someone else has a similar issue. Back to square one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts