Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I know there have been some posts on snow performance, but I'm curious specifically if folks have had experience stopping on a downhill. My neighborhood is at the top of a hill so to leave it in either direction, I have to come down some decent hills to stop signs on fairly busy roads. It takes some care in my 4Runner. Curious if that would be asking for trouble in the 7k R1T.
Any experiences that are similar so far this fall?

· Registered
R1T, Sept 2021 preorder
25 Posts
I live at the top of a 13% incline that is also a very tight switchback with a deep ditch on one side. Multiple cars will end up in that ditch with each snowfall. I have the 21" wheels with the road tires, I have yet to feel the truck slide at all. I do drive cautiously on that piece of road regardless of the vehicle I am driving. It helps being familiar with the road.

· Registered
529 Posts
Hi all. I know there have been some posts on snow performance, but I'm curious specifically if folks have had experience stopping on a downhill. My neighborhood is at the top of a hill so to leave it in either direction, I have to come down some decent hills to stop signs on fairly busy roads. It takes some care in my 4Runner. Curious if that would be asking for trouble in the 7k R1T.
Going down in some conditions it could be a sled without winter tires.

· Administrator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
616 Posts
You’ll need to manage the regen by feathering the accelerator. If you abruptly lift off like you would in and ICE, you’re going to start sliding.

· Registered
164 Posts
Please please Rivian, update the software for regen so it's easier to feather from acceleration through coast to light regen and then progressively stronger as your foot lifts. THis is a safety issue in the winter on roads covered with snow and ice.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
I may be wrong, but my impression is that Regen is intended to modulate when set in standard (if the wheels slip while decelerating) and regen should not increase, but rather decrease and modulate to seek traction) which is likely what you would want. Plus you have ABS. I haven't tested that myself because all the snow is out west, but maybe somebody in the west can chime in and share their own real-world, un-biased experiences. Be good to know what drive settings are in play. I always forget that I have brakes, but now that winter is here, need to start getting used to more brake and less regen.

· Registered
1 Posts
Living in Minnesota, I'm always VERY cautious about driving down steep hills...even in my Tesla's!

· Registered
529 Posts
Don’t have a Rivian but do have 2 Teslas. Is there a way to set regen to low? On my Teslas in early October when I swap to winter tires I set regen to low and acceleration to chill and leave it that way until May when I switch back to my all seasons.

· Registered
81 Posts
We had some snow here last Sunday and that was the day we had to get our Christmas tree. The roads in the valley were just wet but heading up the hill to the tree farm things got kinda hairy. I knew I was gonna learn some things about my R1T (21" stock tires). At one point as things sloped back down I had to brake enough that the truck broke loose a little, sliding for the ditch. I put my foot back on the accelerator and easily steered back on course. Coming around the final bend to the farm, we saw three cars stuck in the road. We asked the folks in the first car if they need help but they said they were waiting for a tow, the second car was empty and the third was clearly stuck in the ditch.

After stalking and killing our tree we headed back out. We headed up the hill we easily climbed past the three stranded cars and now there was a fourth. Back at the summit the DOT had started sand but also put up road closed signs on our way down the hill. Seeing no option, we continued past the signs and headed down the steep grade. This part was sanded so no biggie. When we got to the final road down the hill, the roads were no longer sanded and this steep grade with drop offs beyond every curve was a bit nerve-racking in this 7,000 pound sled. I did find that going slow and feathering the accelerator worked great. We did pass several more cars that had gone into the ditch. I do feel like braking would have been a disaster but things were especially slippery on this day, like snot. I really need to get this thing out on snow where I can safely test the limits and see how it feels. But yeah... she ain't no Subaru.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts