Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this because I have never heard anything like it and wondering if mine is a unique situation with Rivian or if others have encountered the same thing and what the outcome wound up being.

First some Background:
I placed a reservation and Deposit for a RIT Explore edition in LA Silver, Field Kit, Wall Charger and All Weather Mats in November of 2021.
In late December of 2021 I received and update from Rivian saying that my current configuration was not estimated for delivery until the second half of 2023. At that time I changed it to the Adventure version thinking it might be built sooner based on what Rivian was prioritizing.
On June 11th, 2021 I received an updated delivery window of September-October 2022.
On June 16th, I changed the color to Sandstone and added Crossbars.
On June 21st, I received an email asking me to confirm my configuration.
On June 22nd, I received an email asking me to start the purchase process. Besides setting up the insurance, I used my local Credit Union to finance the reaming balance of the purchase since their rate was so much lower than what Rivian offered. It was approved the next day.
On June 25th, I received a text message from the Dallas Delivery Center of Rivian to setup my delivery, which we set for June 29th.
On June 27th, I received a call from the Dallas Delivery Center of Rivian at which time they told me the Tonneau Cover failed during inspection and they could either postpone my delivery until a redesign was complete and the repair completed, or they could lock it in an open position and repair it at my location when the fix was ready. I agreed to the latter.
On June 28th, my credit union send over copies of the check and shipping information to Rivian along with their drafting instructions. My Guide got back that day and said we were good to go for the delivery.
On June 29th, my R1T was delivered.
Since then I have received separate shipments for the Field Kit, Wall Charger and Crossbars, but no All-Weather Mats yet and the Tonneau is still locked in the open position.

So, since that time, as much as I really like a lot of the things about the truck, especially the performance, I think the Silverado EV would be a better fit for me. So, about 2 weeks ago, I put some feelers out there (on this site and on-line buyers) and got back quite a bit of interest and reasonable offers, but one dealer brought it to my attention that the truck was still in Rivian's name. When I reached out to my Guide to see what was going on and he responded back that Rivian would not release the title until the Payment was made. WHAT???

When I check with my Credit Union to see what they knew about it, they told me they had been sitting on the payment and it was about to expire since that had not received the 'Title Transfer Receipt' which was in the Drafting instructions they had sent to Rivian before the delivery.

Since then Rivian say they will only send out the MCO or a Letter of Guarantee before the receive payment and only then would they go forward with the Title Transfer.

My Credit Union says they will not send payment without the Title Transfer receipt, so we appear to be in a standoff. I have the truck in my garage that I no longer feel I can driver since it is not in my name, the insurance payees are myself and the credit union, neither of which own it, I have made a $10,000 deposit and 2 $1100 payments on a loan that was never paid out, and Rivian does not have possession of a vehicle they still own on paper but have yet to be paid for (less the $1000 deposit).

The biggest issue is that my Credit Union has no way to directly talk with the Title and Registration department at Rivian. The guide cannot or will not provide the contact information for that department, and when we have asked the Guide to forward my Credit Union contact information to that department, they have never heard back from them.

At this point my Guide has not even responded back to inquires from both myself and the credit Union personal in the last week.

Anyone else ever heard of such a thing? How do I get out of this mess? Do I just tell Rivian to pickup the truck and get my deposit back, while going after the Credit Union for all of the money I have given them?

·
Registered
58 Posts
[I received a call from the Dallas Delivery Center of Rivian at which time they told me the Tonneau Cover failed during inspection and they could either postpone my delivery until a redesign was complete and the repair completed, or they could lock it in an open position and repair it at my location when the fix was ready. I agreed to the latter./QUOTE]
I realize this doesn’t help you any, but I didn’t know the tonneau cover be locked in the open position. I’m sure there are a lot of us who would love to be able to do this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That was a long post. I'm not sure what the issue is. You are saying that Rivian won't release the title until they get paid? Seems reasonable. I actually can't believe that they delivered it without payment. I had to overnight a check to get payment to Rivian in time for my delivery. Go around your guide and call customer service directly. Sounds like your guide is going to be of no value to you anyway.

As for your tonneau cover, have you called Rivian Service directly and/or entered a ticket in the app? I have found that for service issues it's best to not even deal with my guide. I find that Rivian Service is very responsive. I do have to get a bit 'squeaky wheel' sometimes though. I have the national number, the local number and I even have the mobile number for the local service manager (sucker...).

I think the guide's job is to get you ready for delivery. Once that's done, their job is pretty much over. I haven't communicated with mine in like six weeks and I've only had my truck for eight.

And yeah... The accessories kind of trickle in. I am still waiting on my floor mats. They had to redesign those... "Supply Chain" issues, dontcha know?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realize this doesn’t help you any, but I didn’t know the tonneau cover be locked in the open position. I’m sure there are a lot of us who would love to be able to do this.
They did it at the delivery center after it failed inspection in order to complete my delivery.
That was a long post. I'm not sure what the issue is. You are saying that Rivian won't release the title until they get paid? Seems reasonable. I actually can't believe that they delivered it without payment. I had to overnight a check to get payment to Rivian in time for my delivery. Go around your guide and call customer service directly. Sounds like your guide is going to be of no value to you anyway.

As for your tonneau cover, have you called Rivian Service directly and/or entered a ticket in the app? I have found that for service issues it's best to not even deal with my guide. I find that Rivian Service is very responsive. I do have to get a bit 'squeaky wheel' sometimes though. I have the national number, the local number and I even have the mobile number for the local service manager (sucker...).

I think the guide's job is to get you ready for delivery. Once that's done, their job is pretty much over. I haven't communicated with mine in like six weeks and I've only had my truck for eight.

And yeah... The accessories kind of trickle in. I am still waiting on my floor mats. They had to redesign those... "Supply Chain" issues, dontcha know?
Yeah, Rivian accepted the picture of the check and the shipping envelope in order proceed with the delivery, but they never sent it because they never received the receipt that Rivian had submitted the title transfer.

The credit union says that is normal practice with all auto dealers they work with, at least here in Texas.

If nothing has changed by tomorrow, I will start calling the Rivian main number myself. Surely someone at Rivian would want to get the truck paid for that I have had possession of for 2 months.

As for the Tonneau, I have checked several times, and I got a callback from the Service Center in Dallas and they said the new design was complete and they were expecting replacement parts by the end of August. So, if I don't hear back on that in the next couple weeks, I will file another ticket. I really want it to be paid for before they do any work in case they decide to Repossess it for non-payment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They did it at the delivery center after it failed inspection in order to complete my delivery.

Yeah, Rivian accepted the picture of the check and the shipping envelope in order proceed with the delivery, but they never sent it because they never received the receipt that Rivian had submitted the title transfer.

The credit union says that is normal practice with all auto dealers they work with, at least here in Texas.

If nothing has changed by tomorrow, I will start calling the Rivian main number myself. Surely someone at Rivian would want to get the truck paid for that I have had possession of for 2 months.

As for the Tonneau, I have checked several times, and I got a callback from the Service Center in Dallas and they said the new design was complete and they were expecting replacement parts by the end of August. So, if I don't hear back on that in the next couple weeks, I will file another ticket. I really want it to be paid for before they do any work in case they decide to Repossess it for non-payment.
Hmmm... New design?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has been a couple more weeks and still no progress, only dead ends.

At this point neither myself and any person at my credit union has been able to contact anyone at Rivian that can actually talk about this matter. All communication was being carried back and forth from our Guide.

In the last week or so even my guide has stopped responding to my texts. In fact, I no longer even get the automated response back stating that he will be in contact soon.

I called the main number and spoke to a Customer Service rep and of course they said the things to try and make you feel good, but would only say that someone would contact me. He would not even give me his last name or contact information, only a case number.

Needless to say, I have still not heard from anyone.

As a last Hail Mary, I wrote an email to RJ. I have very low expectations, but if just by chance he actually receives, opens and reads my email, I would think he would not be happy about how this is being ignored.

It would seem to me that a company would be actively pursuing financial institutions and individuals when they deliver a vehicle and don’t get payment, but no one has every reached out to me or my credit union on the matter since day one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts