Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Rivian r1t. I was driving it up a dirt road in the snow and immediately got stuck on the ice. I was surprised and disappointed, as I had made it up the road in my Tesla model Y performance with Michelin cross climate tires on it. My Rivian has the all season 21 inch road tires it came with from the factory. I couldn’t believe how easily I got stuck. I tried all the different driving modes and couldn’t get the wheels to all just keep spinning. It would tug a little bit, slip and then just stop. I had the vehicle floored and couldn’t move. Anyone else have similar situation?
I am aware of the difficulty finding winter tires for the 21 inch rims. My cabin is only a mile up the dirt road so I think I’ll just put chains on it next time.
Without a limited slip differential, I really expected better traction out of the 4 motors on this vehicle.
Otherwise, it’s one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned!

· Registered
R1T
39 Posts
Did you try all driving modes?

· Registered
14 Posts
Generic driving in snow tips:
Try going as slow as possible
The friction and spin creates slush and is harder to drive.
Additionally once you are in the hole caused by spinning, reverse and forward to rock the vehicle back and forth to break down the snow and then get out.
(?)

· Registered
9 Posts
I just got my Rivian r1t. I was driving it up a dirt road in the snow and immediately got stuck on the ice. I was surprised and disappointed, as I had made it up the road in my Tesla model Y performance with Michelin cross climate tires on it. My Rivian has the all season 21 inch road tires it came with from the factory. I couldn’t believe how easily I got stuck. I tried all the different driving modes and couldn’t get the wheels to all just keep spinning. It would tug a little bit, slip and then just stop. I had the vehicle floored and couldn’t move. Anyone else have similar situation?
I am aware of the difficulty finding winter tires for the 21 inch rims. My cabin is only a mile up the dirt road so I think I’ll just put chains on it next time.
Without a limited slip differential, I really expected better traction out of the 4 motors on this vehicle.
Otherwise, it’s one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned!
I have not had any problem with mine on snow, slips on ice, but so does my track loader, tractor & plow truck. Being a heavy vehicle, I imaging that once it melts a little ice under the tires, it may stay put unless rocked out. I have the same factory tires. Now my Chevy Bolt gets stuck on any slick surface.

Attachments

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you turn of traction control?
I tried all the drive modes, off road drift was the best but still surprisingly bad. In my Tesla, slip mode lets me keep the wheels turning. In the Rivian, none of the wheels would even turn after the initial slip. The truck just sat there and the accelerator did nothing. Quite frustrating. This truck should be an off road monster and a dual motor crossover suv with differentials shouldn’t kick it @$$.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have not had any problem with mine on snow, slips on ice, but so does my track loader, tractor & plow truck. Being a heavy vehicle, I imaging that once it melts a little ice under the tires, it may stay put unless rocked out. I have the same factory tires. Now my Chevy Bolt gets stuck on any slick surface.
Yes, probably just expecting too much. I’m sure the chains will do it. The next question is to put the chains on front or back wheels or one of each?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it turns out that “Traction control” is mis-labeled as “Stability control” which indicates it has something to do with the suspension or keeping the truck level. In fact, this setting only adjusts the Traction. I will try this again tomorrow and also the chains.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts