Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone notice a lot of clunking noise when driving on bumpy roads? I know people say, it's electric and quiet, so you hear more noises, but I've been driving Tesla's for the past 8 years and never had this much suspension noise. I'm curious if it's normal for every R1T or if I need to get it looked at. I already have a service appointment for some other things so I think I will add this to it, unless this is how all of them are.

· Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone notice a lot of clunking noise when driving on bumpy roads? I know people say, it's electric and quiet, so you hear more noises, but I've been driving Tesla's for the past 8 years and never had this much suspension noise. I'm curious if it's normal for every R1T or if I need to get it looked at. I already have a service appointment for some other things so I think I will add this to it, unless this is how all of them are.
My experience is that the clunking has a lot to do with the tonneau rattling around a bit.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Yes, I find the R1T suspension to have lots of clunks. It's not the tonneau that I'm hearing. Definitely from the FRONT of the vehicle.

I can live with the clunky suspension. What is really getting on my nerves is the rattles in the interior. They're getting worse, too.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I find the R1T suspension to have lots of clunks. It's not the tonneau that I'm hearing. Definitely from the FRONT of the vehicle.

I can live with the clunky suspension. What is really getting on my nerves is the rattles in the interior. They're getting worse, too.
I think I've been ruined by driving Tesla's for the past 8 years. I've grown accustomed to interior rattles. It was a never-ending battle that I just gave up with after a while.

For the suspension, if it's normal, I'm fine with it, but to me, it sounds like the top hat bolts are loose or something.

· Registered
From Tesla X to Rivian R1T, and not looking back!
21 Posts
Mine makes some nice clunking going over speed bumps. I’ve read that it’s normal, but am dropping off next week for service to take a look. Figured it was worth documenting in case it’s a design that needs to be changed. At this point we are all beta-testers after all.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine makes some nice clunking going over speed bumps. I’ve read that it’s normal, but am dropping off next week for service to take a look. Figured it was worth documenting in case it’s a design that needs to be changed. At this point we are all beta-testers after all.
Same here. They have some paint defects, mis-aligned panels to try to fix, so I just asked them to add this to the list of things to look at.

· Registered
From Tesla X to Rivian R1T, and not looking back!
21 Posts
Just back from service…….. they didn’t find anything out of the ordinary. Worksheet summary says “Visually Inspected suspension and verified proper kinetic fluid fill. Suspension system was found to be working properly at this time”

· Registered
13 Posts
😕 I should have searched forum more thouroghly…as I just posted below as new thread. Suspension rattle us driving me crazy:

“Have had my R1T for about 2 months. Since delivery its had an irritating front suspension rattle predominantly on the driver side, which I‘d describe like a loose/defective bushing allowing a suspension component to rattle over uneven surfaces.

I‘ve had the suspension recall complated and two seperate visits to the service center for diagnosis. The techs are telling me the rattle is normal but safe. With ~1200 miles on my new truck, the rattle drives me crazy.

Is anyone else experiencing front suspension rattling?”

· Registered
2 Posts
I had a Tesla Model S (Raven) with air suspension and the rattles were terrible and widely-known. Tesla stopped even trying to fix the noises (for everyone not just me) and eventually just said they were known about/normal. My R1T has similar rattles/clunks and it is definitely the suspension, not something else. It is frustrating because my wife's Range Rover Sport with air suspension is amazingly quiet. Nevertheless, I do not expect this to go away, probably will get worse as with my Tesla, and we will probably need to learn to live with it.

Interior buzzing/rattling from plastic parts is also frustrating and incredibly disappointing. My latest suspect is either the plastic panel (mesh-like) at the base of the windshield on the dash, or one of the metal speaker grilles. Annoying to be sure.

Also driving me nuts, the rear passenger seat belt buckles bang against the door every time I make a turn, unless they are buckled. Might just start driving around with them buckled as if someone were sitting there. They just swing back and forth and hit the door, pretty loud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts