Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Rivian come with the ability to articulate/disconnect the sway bar. The company touts the excellent off-road capabilities but how would it tackle uneven terrain?

·
Registered
800 Posts
IMO, people are putting too much focus on "rock crawling". They've shown videos of R1Ts going on some decent trails. and the IRS should be decent for higher-speed desert running.... But it's never going to be a Jeep with solid axles. It's an ADVENTURE vehicle -- not a rock crawler. I expect the Rivian will be more than capable on all but the most extreme trails. If you see people needing $50k of off-road mods to go a particular route, then I'd just not take my Rivian there, personally.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As someone who will be taking their Rivian off road I am not expecting it to be a crawler or hitting any rock gardens with it. But I do expect it to be able to overland into some back country where 35" tires and the 14" ground clearance should be more than enough to get me where I want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does the Rivian come with the ability to articulate/disconnect the sway bar. The company touts the excellent off-road capabilities but how would it tackle uneven terrain?
IMO, if you want/need/expect that, Rivian is not the right vehicle for you....

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm not expecting Rivian to allow us to disconnect the sway bar or anything like that but some kind of a crawl mode would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
205 Posts
But isn't that what the Kinetic system will take care of? Motor Trend wrote an article about Tenneco's system going into Rivans a while back, has that changed?

"At either end of the battery are the suspension and powertrain. Control arms are employed up front, and a five-link setup is found in the rear, with standard air suspension and a Tenneco Kinetic interlinked hydraulic damper system that negates the need for anti-roll bars. There are four electric motors and four single-speed gearboxes, two of each in front and rear. The motors and their transmissions are mounted sideways in the chassis, with the motors pointing inward and the transmissions sharing a common case but no moving parts. The front motors and transmissions sit behind the front axle, and the rear motors and transmissions sit ahead of the rear axle to keep the weight as central as possible."

That TRD walking itself out of the sand is awesome BTW...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Given that Rivian hired their VP of engineering from McLaren, and McLarens don't use sway bars, I'm expecting the Rivian to constantly shift stiffness in the air shocks instead of having sway bars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts