Rivian Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some new patents reveal what could be coming to our Rivian R1T's that makes for a more city demographic friendly bed setup!

"Illustrations of the new tailgate patent from Rivian show the door having the ability to open much like a traditional tailgate, but also the ability to swing down behind the rear of the vehicle. This would give a person trying to gain access to the bed the ability to get closer to the truck, allowing for easier loading and unloading of items on the R1T’s primary cargo area."

"Rivian’s “Swing and Drop Tailgate” design ultimately allows the R1T’s tailgate to move in multiple different ranges of motion. This design brings several advantages, with its different movements and trajectories allowing users to not worry about the space available around them. Rivian discusses these advantages further in its patent."

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is such a fantastic idea by Rivian, especially with companies like GMC and Ram offering their own unique tailgates.

The one question I have is that if the R1T has a trailer hitch, would the tailgate hit it when it's folding down?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is such a fantastic idea by Rivian, especially with companies like GMC and Ram offering their own unique tailgates.

The one question I have is that if the R1T has a trailer hitch, would the tailgate hit it when it's folding down?
If that's an issue then Rivian can make a retractable trailer hitch.

Also, it would be cool if the R1T's tailgate was more recreational vehicle friendly...
tesla-cybertruck_tailgate.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
Also, it would be cool if the R1T's tailgate was more recreational vehicle friendly...
It would be but you have to remember it's a short bed. Some time ago I searched for the shortest ATV I could find and it still would not fit in R1T bed ... unless you leave the gate down and add one of those gate extender bars. Not sure if Rivian has tested or will allow (warranty wise) traveling with the gate at 90 degrees. It's not uncommon to have the gate down with an extender but usually those tail gates are not motor driven and will go no further than 90 degrees. So perhaps Rivian figured with the short bed what's the point. (?)

None the less, I agree, I think most would find it very convenient if a ramp or even rails were built in. I suspect part of the challenge may be where to store it not to mention the extra weight of always carry it around. Short of in the tail gate like the CybrTrk, they would have to at a minimum contend with the battery pack, the compartment that stores the full size spare tire, and whatever else back there that may be in the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts