Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like an aftermarket software modification for a tailgate feature. Since Rivian has dynamic cruise control and regenerative breaking can slow it down, it should be able to follow the car in front very closely but brake much faster than a human can respond to keep from hitting the car in front.

Why would you want this? So you can safely tell cars in the left lane they need to get over.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tailgating is illegal in most states. There is nothing safe about tailgating - automated or manual... I'm also pretty sure there would be serious liability issues for someone to produce and distribute such a modification, let alone voiding any kind of support/warranty you would have with Rivian.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I would like an aftermarket software modification for a tailgate feature. Since Rivian has dynamic cruise control and regenerative breaking can slow it down, it should be able to follow the car in front very closely but brake much faster than a human can respond to keep from hitting the car in front.

Why would you want this? So you can safely tell cars in the left lane they need to get over.

Thoughts?
I don't understand how tailgating someone is a "safe way" to tell someone they need to move over. I don't think the technology is nearly there for it to be as responsive as it would have to be.

A feature like this would cause way more problems than anything else. Rivian or any other car company would allow something like this that would promote aggressive and/or reckless driving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lets recharacterize "tailgate feature" as "automated vehicle following - platooning" - (edit - added more references)
How an Automated Car Platoon Works | Volpe National Transportation Systems Center

In this case the cars are linked together with sequential braking - and drafting in close quarters.

For electric vehicles, platooning may make even more sense. ie: I'd be surprised if Rivian isn't developing platooning capabilities for Amazon delivery trucks.

One more step is for platooning where the lead car is uncontrolled. More difficult? yes. Impossible. No way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In NY at least, and likely other states, a rear-end collision is automatically at-fault for the driver in the rear- no excuse not to have a safe distance. There is no way this mod has a risk assessment that favors the OEM… or the owner.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tailgating leads to road rage. Road rage leads to anger. Anger leads to the dark side. Dark side leads to highway shootings for stupid things. Stupid things leads to tailgating. Illogical you see. Path to the dark side this is.

Grass Wood Working animal Sculpture Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry, but that's a really dumb and unsafe idea. Regardless of computer assistance, there's no way a heavy truck will outbrake my 2300 lb. Miata, a Porsche 911, or any number of other sports cars...and drivers shouldn't be worried about getting rear-ended when they need to slow down.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's not that it's a "dumb idea", it's just "an idea before it's time". It's an idea that is way, way too early to consider at this stage of the tech & more importantly the available infrastructure curve. Not to mention that not all vehicles will have the same features to reliably allow for this to work effectively in groups.

In fact, Audi has built an entire "virtual SMART CITY of the future" that has ONLY autonomous, self driving e-vehicles and they simulated this type of feature for traffic purposes, and they essentially were able to eliminate all urban congestion in the process. Pretty interesting: https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audi-urban-future-initiative-298

·
Registered
2011 4Runner, 2015 Q50, R1S pre-order
4 Posts

Thoughts?
Well since no one else liked your idea, I'll suggest a giant mechanical arm that picks up that left-lane-abuser and places them in a more appropriate lane for slower travel.

I would suggest a giant Marvin-style raygun to blast their car out of the passing lane, but that would get you in even more trouble than rear-ending them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts