Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
15 MS 70D, Chevy Bolt, Yamaha T700
27 Posts
Understand that not everyone likes the Cybertruck, but I'm pretty sure that some deliveries to customers will begin next year. Tesla has spent a lot of money for it to be "vaporware" and they are still spending money on it (if they were not planning to bring it to market, they wouldn't be spending money on it anymore). The "giga press" is/has been shipped. No way Tesla would have just purchased it if they were going to bring CT to production. What will be most interesting is to see what the pricing will be. Doubt they will still be selling at the original prices, 39K single motor, 49K dual motor, and I think it was 79K for tri-motor and not sure if they will ever make the single motor.

IDRA Group Completes And Delivers Giga Press For Tesla Cybertruck

· Registered
527 Posts
The thing I can’t get over is how ridiculously high the sides of the bed are. Will likely make the bed largely impractical….

And it didn’t look all that bad to me when released. But for some reason now after seeing the lightning, GMC/Chevy, and Rivian trucks more. Now to me just looks like others have said, a elementary school kid from the 1980’s drew it on the back of their trapper keeper

· Registered
503 Posts
Understand that not everyone likes the Cybertruck, but I'm pretty sure that some deliveries to customers will begin next year. Tesla has spent a lot of money for it to be "vaporware" and they are still spending money on it (if they were not planning to bring it to market, they wouldn't be spending money on it anymore). The "giga press" is/has been shipped. No way Tesla would have just purchased it if they were going to bring CT to production. What will be most interesting is to see what the pricing will be. Doubt they will still be selling at the original prices, 39K single motor, 49K dual motor, and I think it was 79K for tri-motor and not sure if they will ever make the single motor.

IDRA Group Completes And Delivers Giga Press For Tesla Cybertruck
I would be super surprised if it starts in the 90s. TheModel S starts at 105k and the Model X starts at 120k, it has to start at around 100k.

· Registered
527 Posts
I would be super surprised if it starts in the 90s. TheModel S starts at 105k and the Model X starts at 120k, it has to start at around 100k.
I unfortunately have to agree with you. Can’t imagine a 2 motor CT will be much less than an X. So $100-120k for the duel and 120-140+ for the tri/quad wouldn’t surprise me.

· Registered
527 Posts
What's with the wheels. Looks totally fake like out of a cheap easter egg trinket
Elon and his aero covers…. I can tell you from 4 years with a model 3 that the aero covers do nothing in relation to efficiency or range. For more efficiency Would be better off ditching the ridiculous MT/R tires and large wheels then adding the cheep looking caps.

· Registered
82 Posts
The truck isn't my style and I'm not a Tesla fan but I give them a lot of credit for the Cybertruck. The angles are less by design and more by necessity. Its a stainless steel exoskeleton. Its so far remove from the typical body on frame design that it really is in a class of its own. No paint saves a lot of money and it might be the closest thing to a "lifetime" vehicle that we've ever seen. Also because there is no paint, the "environmental" footprint is way smaller. The real reason for the delay is that Tesla had to create a completely new press process to form the "body." SS isn't able to be formed like typical vehicle body parts. I'm sure other people have commented on all of this before but it is really annoying to see the same uneducated comments over and over on this forum. Do a little reading on it and give credit where its due. They may not have been the first to use SS (Delorean?) but its the most radical shift in auto engineering that we've seen in our lifetimes.

· Registered
527 Posts
The truck isn't my style and I'm not a Tesla fan but I give them a lot of credit for the Cybertruck. The angles are less by design and more by necessity. Its a stainless steel exoskeleton. Its so far remove from the typical body on frame design that it really is in a class of its own. No paint saves a lot of money and it might be the closest thing to a "lifetime" vehicle that we've ever seen. Also because there is no paint, the "environmental" footprint is way smaller. The real reason for the delay is that Tesla had to create a completely new press process to form the "body." SS isn't able to be formed like typical vehicle body parts. I'm sure other people have commented on all of this before but it is really annoying to see the same uneducated comments over and over on this forum. Do a little reading on it and give credit where its due. They may not have been the first to use SS (Delorean?) but its the most radical shift in auto engineering that we've seen in our lifetimes.
“Exoskeleton” is a fancy name for unibody construction. Unibody construction has been around for almost 100 years, including many trucks over that time period.

· Registered
82 Posts
“Exoskeleton” is a fancy name for unibody construction. Unibody construction has been around for almost 100 years, including many trucks over that time period.
Sure you can make that comparison because the body is also the structure. But I disagree that's what the Cybertruck is. A typical unibody has a bunch of small stamped parts bolted and or tacked together. The Cybertruck is going to be a few peices (not sure the exact number has been released) fully welded. This has never been done before - its a completely new auto manufacturing process. It eliminates paneling & tooling. You can't compare that to any other vehicle.

· Registered
527 Posts
Sure you can make that comparison because the body is also the structure. But I disagree that's what the Cybertruck is. A typical unibody has a bunch of small stamped parts bolted and or tacked together. The Cybertruck is going to be a few peices (not sure the exact number has been released) fully welded. This has never been done before - its a completely new auto manufacturing process. It eliminates paneling & tooling. You can't compare that to any other vehicle.
Now I’ll admit that no one outside of Tesla really knows what is under the SS. But they have never said there isn’t a subframe or other structure under the body panels. And With this thing likely being well over 7-8k lbs it will have to have more then just the steel body panels welded together. Many modern vehicles have much/most of the load supported by the body: Rover, Ferrari, lotus, McLaren, ford, …to name a few.

Unibody is the general automotive term where the body and frame are integrated as one, you know Like Tesla is claiming with the CT. So if used in an automobile what ever term: exoskeleton, monocoque, whatever else someone wants to call it, is a unibody.

Exoskeleton is something Tesla totally made up and is more of a branding or proprietary term, so likely only a tesla can have an exoskeleton but doesn’t make it any less a unibody.

· Registered
1 Posts
The highest level of trolling designers from Elon Musk. Moreover, I am sure this car was provided for this exhibition precisely to show designers what their creativity is like in our time. Once, I read an article on https://zumroad.com/automotive; the fact that modern designers are trying their best to create ridiculous things in this cyber track is proof of these words. I'm sure Tesla can afford to pay for the work of the best designers, but it turns out what we see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts