Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE: this post is about Level 2 charging ('overnight' or longer), not about Tesla Superchargers.

There are lots of places like hotels and restaurants that have so-called Tesla Destination Chargers installed for folks who want to charge for free while they're at the place. Here's a link to all of those ... make sure to double-check that they're operational before you count on charging at one of them.

But wait, our plugs are not compatible with Tesla you say. You're right! That's where TeslaTap comes in. I've used mine several times, it works great. Again though, it will not work with Superchargers, only with Destination Chargers.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow they've really expanded their product offering. I bought one three years ago when they only had one. I'll take a look but there are others here who may have newer versions and can chime in. Do you have your Rivian already?

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts
Hi there. I went online, and it seems there are a bunch of varieties to choose from (TeslaTap Adapters). Can you help me understand what led to selecting this particular one?

Thank you kindly!
I have a TeslaTap adapter I previously used on my ID.4 and my home Tesla HPWC (I have since replaced the HPWC).

I would recommend the classic Tesla Tap over the new "MINI." While the MINI looks nice, people have had issues with it as it puts more weight on your charge port. Either the 50 Amp or 80 Amp versions would work fine with the Rivian but if you can afford it, I would suggest going with the 80 Amp as it has thicker wiring and would be more future proof.

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not yet; I've been in touch with my Guide, with no delivery timing as yet. Do you have yours?
Haha, no. I placed my order just before the IPO, so I happen to know that I'm somewhere around 48,000 in queue ... projected delivery >1 year from now. But you already have a guide, so you'll soon join a (for now) rarefied club.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've been using the "classic" Tesla Tap (in link below) to charge our BMW i3 from our Tesla Wall Charger since last November. It's built like a tank and will probably last forever... and it's built in the USA!

Composite material Metal Cable Fashion accessory Auto part

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would recommend the classic Tesla Tap over the new "MINI." While the MINI looks nice, people have had issues with it as it puts more weight on your charge port. Either the 50 Amp or 80 Amp versions would work fine with the Rivian but if you can afford it, I would suggest going with the 80 Amp as it has thicker wiring and would be more future proof.
That all makes sense to me. I like the fact that mine (the original design) has a flexible "waist".

Edit: yeah same as @NY_Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts