Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Rivian is getting into the commercial van business, Tesla is looking into passenger vans to be used to drive through The Boring Company's Tunnels.

There were talks about Tesla making a passenger vehicle for Musk’s Boring Company, but as time went by, the tunnel-making startup has just used existing Tesla vehicles.

But now a county official working on a new Boring Company project may have leaked a new Tesla vehicle program that the Boring Company will use.

The Boring Company has submitted a Loop project to link Rancho Cucamonga with Ontario International Airport in the greater Los Angeles region.

San Bernardino County, which is overseeing the project, has been so impressed by the company’s proposal that they have dropped studies about other transportation options and instead focused on the Loop.

Mercury News reported:

“A San Bernardino County transportation agency voted Wednesday, June 3, to pursue a proposal from Elon Musk’s The Boring Co. for a high-speed tunnel linking Rancho Cucamonga with Ontario International Airport.”

The project sounds similar to the one in construction in Las Vegas and the one proposed for the Chicago O’Hare airport.

A 2.8-mile tunnel system would link the airport to a station in Rancho Cucamonga and it would transport people in electric vehicles inside the tunnels.

San Bernardino County Supervisor Curt Hagman reportedly told Mercury News that the Boring Company is working with Tesla to develop electric vans for the project:

“Originally, the proposal called for specially designed Tesla cars. But Hagman said the company is working with Tesla to develop electric vans that can seat up to 12 people and their luggage, enlarging the capacity to 1,200 people per day, or 10 million-plus per year.”

They didn’t release more details about the vehicle.

The county and Boring Company will work on a report about routes, costs and environmental concerns to be submitted in August or September.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Glad to see this is happening as planned years ago.
What do you think the production version will look like? This was the concept:

tesla-van.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to see this is happening as planned years ago.
What do you think the production version will look like? This was the concept:

View attachment 497
I think it could like that since it's going to be used as a shuttle. Here's another rendering that I've seen if Tesla wants to use them on the main roads instead of the tunnels.

Tesla Van Rendering

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a feeling that Tesla will go for an untraditional design which that is not. That is, if these are only for Tesla's tunnel system which free's them from many things that are required of passenger cars that use the roadways.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a feeling that Tesla will go for an untraditional design which that is not. That is, if these are only for Tesla's tunnel system which free's them from many things that are required of passenger cars that use the roadways.
Yeah that is true, I'm going to brace myself for the big "Cybervan" reveal that'll eventually come.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts