1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you read through some of the comments, looks like they may have overstated what Tesla is saying. Seems like it could be for particular stations and not all stations even in EU.

In EU Tesla is already delivering the Model 3 with CCS connectors and adding these cables to the chargers there. That would make it slightly easier to open up the EU super chargers. Would be interesting to see how they would implement that in the US if they tried to go that route.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I suspect they are referencing the charges that are in some way subsidized by the government. I suspect if the EV bill is passed in the US, that Tesla will happily open up the charger that the government helps to subsidized to build.

Regardless of how you feel about Tesla, you can't expect them to give away their charger lead, they put a lot of money and effort into it, to give it away for free. Having said that, Elon has always said that they were open for other companies to use it, heck along with any of their patents, but I suspect that the other companies thought the cost was too high or something.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually, opening it up to other manufacturers is probably genius. You charge the other manufacturer for a license to use it, you take a slice of the payment from the consumer when they use it... so now you are generating a revenue stream and move from being a manufacturer to now also being a service provider for what will be a much larger consumer segment then just your brand could capture. Given that they are looking at adding eateries to some of these larger Tesla charging stations, you can then capture even more of an audience and revenue from that value add service.

That said, I doubt Rivian is on their "let's share this!" list given the lawsuits.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If Musk and Tesla really are committed to getting other brands to embrace electrification as he's said in the past then this would be the way to do it. As @Temerarius said it would be a great way to get them to add another revenue stream while also easing the general public's range anxiety with getting an EV.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If Musk and Tesla really are committed to getting other brands to embrace electrification as he's said in the past then this would be the way to do it. As @Temerarius said it would be a great way to get them to add another revenue stream while also easing the general public's range anxiety with getting an EV.
Obviously, you don't own any Tesla stock. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.