Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla just announced it was opening up their charge handle and charge port design for open use in the hopes it will be adopted as the standard. They’re even calling it the North American Charging Standard (NACS).

I sent an inquiry to Rivian to see if they had plans to offer the charge port as an option at some point or plan on adopting the NACS.

Being a current Tesla owner with home charging already in place, it would be nice not to have to buy another charger or use an adapter.

· Registered
14 Posts
Tesla should have done this years ago but now it is to late. They might still have the largest charging network in North America but in time that won't matter. Also they say they will allow other NACS vehicles to charge on their network but I would hesitate to build anything as Elon is all over the place and could easily block your vehicles from charging.

I might be wrong but wasn't this technically an open standard but any manufacturer that used it had to give up their IP to Tesla? I'm guessing this removes that hurdle.

· Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
327 Posts
Don't think this will happen since the EU has already said that the CCS/J1772 as the standard period. They have plenty of power here and have forced everyone who sells there to comply. Additionally with VW group (VW, Audi, Porsche, Lambo, Skoda), BMW, MB, Ford, Chevy, Rivian and Lucid all working with J1772 it is more likely that Tesla changes. It isn't about which one is better but which one is more adopted. Just look back at the adoption of Blu-Ray.

· Registered
44 Posts
Tesla sells their Mobile Charger for $200 and has plugs for almost every conceivable plug. Buy a Tesla tap mini and save the $$ on the mobile connector or buy a wired HPWC (High Powered Wall Connector) for $500.00

1 - 11 of 11 Posts