Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive lighting Cable Gas Auto part Audio equipment

Tesla is no longer including its mobile chargers with its new vehicles. Instead it will be offered separately for $200. It was originally going to be sold for $400 but it seems that the backlash has forced them to lower the price.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
This doesn’t surprise me. Honestly, it doesn’t even make me angry. As long as they are upfront that the portable EVSE is no longer included, then fine. I think the more egregious issue is that they‘re out of stock and prospective buyers can’t buy the portable EVSE if they do want it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Never got one, never used one. I'm guessing its for home charging on a 30A or 50A plug? You don't need Tesla branded charging equipment. If I was putting a connector in the house, I'd want one that was universal, not just Tesla specific. I have a ChargePoint in my garage parking for L2 30A and any EV can use it. I have the Tesla adapter for it which is $20 +/-.

Was Tesla giving these away at some point? Wonder if its in my trunk somewhere.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just another decision by Tesla that takes away from the customer and lines the pockets of Tesla. No problem with companies making a profit, but to take away the only backup charging option a car has is not a good thing. Spending $70,000 to $150,000 on a car and they want to be cheap and skimp out on a $200 charger that EV's need to be able to "fill up". I don't drive much at night, guess that means they should stop installing the headlights on cars too. It's not about how much you use it, its about it being there when you NEED to use it. Tesla has been making more and more of these decisions to save a couple of bucks. I think most would prefer they jack up the price $200 if they're in dire straights and just can't afford to do it anymore, rather than take what has been a standard feature on all EV's since they began.

Rivian, clearly following in many of Tesla's footsteps, makes me nervous that they will try to pull similar crap along the way. They already tried to throw a shock 20% price increase on all existing owners. We saw how that went. Tesla was the only game in town for years and years so they got away with some pretty shady crap. Now that there is actual competition out there, I pray that these companies will realize that customer service is still VERY important and most customers will not allow themselves to be wronged by a company. Tesla is dangerously close to driving away all but their most loyal fanboi's. The continue to build the cars as if they are already self-driving cars, despite the days of letting your car be a robo-taxi being many, many years off. I love their cars, but not a chance I would consider the Model S with that new interior and lack of physical controls that are necessary for safe driving. Still cool cars, but their coolness exceeds usability. Much of their party trick features come at the cost of user friendliness and with the new S & X are the exact reasons why I won't buy another one. Tried driving that yoke thing with no blinker stalk or manual shifter. About got myself killed trying to do a simple three-point turn! Many of their fanboi's say it's great and you'll get used it. But, just because you "get used to it", doesn't make it better. I believe in making changes because they are actually better, not simply for the sake of being different when different isn't better. For the foreseeable future, we still have to DRIVE these cars. Make them user friendly until such time that drivers are no longer needed. Nothing wrong with a few tastefully placed physical buttons being there for the things we use on a very regular basis, like blinkers, the shifter, the horn, the windshield wipers, etc, etc.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Just another decision by Tesla that takes away from the customer and lines the pockets of Tesla. No problem with companies making a profit, but to take away the only backup charging option a car has is not a good thing. Spending $70,000 to $150,000 on a car and they want to be cheap and skimp out on a $200 charger that EV's need to be able to "fill up". I don't drive much at night, guess that means they should stop installing the headlights on cars too. It's not about how much you use it, its about it being there when you NEED to use it. Tesla has been making more and more of these decisions to save a couple of bucks. I think most would prefer they jack up the price $200 if they're in dire straights and just can't afford to do it anymore, rather than take what has been a standard feature on all EV's since they began.

Rivian, clearly following in many of Tesla's footsteps, makes me nervous that they will try to pull similar crap along the way. They already tried to throw a shock 20% price increase on all existing owners. We saw how that went. Tesla was the only game in town for years and years so they got away with some pretty shady crap. Now that there is actual competition out there, I pray that these companies will realize that customer service is still VERY important and most customers will not allow themselves to be wronged by a company. Tesla is dangerously close to driving away all but their most loyal fanboi's. The continue to build the cars as if they are already self-driving cars, despite the days of letting your car be a robo-taxi being many, many years off. I love their cars, but not a chance I would consider the Model S with that new interior and lack of physical controls that are necessary for safe driving. Still cool cars, but their coolness exceeds usability. Much of their party trick features come at the cost of user friendliness and with the new S & X are the exact reasons why I won't buy another one. Tried driving that yoke thing with no blinker stalk or manual shifter. About got myself killed trying to do a simple three-point turn! Many of their fanboi's say it's great and you'll get used it. But, just because you "get used to it", doesn't make it better. I believe in making changes because they are actually better, not simply for the sake of being different when different isn't better. For the foreseeable future, we still have to DRIVE these cars. Make them user friendly until such time that drivers are no longer needed. Nothing wrong with a few tastefully placed physical buttons being there for the things we use on a very regular basis, like blinkers, the shifter, the horn, the windshield wipers, etc, etc.
Well said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts