Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire White

Elon Musk spoke at the FT Future of Cars Conference and said that Tesla will be adding CCS connectors to their American Supercharger network.

Tesla will add CCS connectors to its Supercharger stations in the United States to let non-Tesla EV owners access the extensive charging network.

The company already announced plans to open its Supercharger network to all-electric vehicles globally, but the rollout of the initiative has been slow and is currently limited to Europe. The move makes sense considering Tesla has adopted the CCS standards in Europe like all other automakers and its Supercharger stations are already equipped with CCS connectors.

In North America, Tesla uses its own proprietary connector on both its vehicles and its Supercharger stations. This approach prevents non-Tesla EV owners from using the Supercharger network and limits Tesla owners to the Supercharger network for fast-charging unless they can get their hands on a CHAdeMO or CCS adapter.

It hasn’t been clear how Tesla plans to implement its plan to open the Supercharger network in the United States, but CEO Elon Musk previously talked about having an adapter at the stations for non-Tesla EV owners to use.

Now at the FT Future of Cars Conference, Musk hinted that Tesla will be adding the CCS connectors directly at the stations:
“It’s a little trickier in the US because we have a different connector than the rest of the industry, but we will be adding the rest of the industry connector as an option to Superchargers in the US.”
This comes after Tesla filed for incentives to deploy Supercharger stations in Texas with both CCS and Tesla connectors.

It’s also an approach similar to the one that Tesla took in Europe when first switching to the CCS standard with the Model 3. New Supercharger stations would get both Tesla and CCS connectors, and the automaker started to retrofit some existing stations as well.

The CEO didn’t offer a timeline on when Tesla plans to start adding CCS connectors to stations in the United States.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Tesla's profits from charging for a captive market of Tesla owners is in the $500M a year range and Tesla's fastest growing revenue and profit center along with service. Service and charging are lumped together and run about $800M. Counting ZEV credits of another $500M a year and fair to say Tesla is profitable mostly from charging, service and gov. credits.

So chances of US Tesla owners getting CCS adapter are zero. Adding CCS plugs to already over crowded Tesla chargers will hurt Tesla sales in US so again no incentive there especially with the cost of reworking all those chargers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tesla's profits from charging for a captive market of Tesla owners is in the $500M a year range and Tesla's fastest growing revenue and profit center along with service. Service and charging are lumped together and run about $800M. Counting ZEV credits of another $500M a year and fair to say Tesla is profitable mostly from charging, service and gov. credits.

So chances of US Tesla owners getting CCS adapter are zero. Adding CCS plugs to already over crowded Tesla chargers will hurt Tesla sales in US so again no incentive there especially with the cost of reworking all those chargers.
Add to that the fact that their vehicle numbers are outpacing the growth of their charging network. Tesla owners are already growing frustrated at having to wait at chargers more often now. I think there would be a revolt if they had to share them with the rest of us riffraff.
Ain't happening any time soon.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Add to that the fact that their vehicle numbers are outpacing the growth of their charging network. Tesla owners are already growing frustrated at having to wait at chargers more often now. I think there would be a revolt if they had to share them with the rest of us riffraff.
That might be the case in some areas and in more areas on specific days or times of the year, but here in central PA, I see mostly empty Superchargers every time I pass them. If they implemented this on the less used superchargers first it would be a good way to make some extra revenue.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
11 Posts
It's absolutely mind boggling to me the amount of people who own EVs and are unable to charge them at home. I can't imagine using a Supercharger as a primary source for my car. If Tesla or someone else could figure out how to do apartment EV charging with fees I think they could make an incredible amount of money. Hopefully when there are apartment complexes with enough density of EVs we'll see those sorts of things start to take shape. A parking area with 10+ L2 chargers would be fantastic. ChargePoint, EA, even Tesla, could be the provider and charge fees for the session and energy. So long as it is on par with DCFC pricing or cheaper, the convenience of charging overnight versus sitting in your car for half an hour at some random out of the way place would take a huge burden off the Superchargers.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
11 Posts
That might be the case in some areas and in more areas on specific days or times of the year, but here in central PA, I see mostly empty Superchargers every time I pass them. If they implemented this on the less used superchargers first it would be a good way to make some extra revenue.
That seems to be the way they're doing it in Norway. And I've had similar experiences in my travels all the way from Colorado to Maryland and up to Maine. Once you're out of dense urban areas the Superchargers really are rarely used. I'd love to see data on their actual usage, but that's some deep dark trade secrets there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I can't imagine using a Supercharger as a primary source for my car.
Did it for two years. Worked fine. You have to be in a area where EV chargers are plentiful and convenient to your life situation. It degrades the battery a big faster and you'll get caught going a bit lower on the charger than you should or you like but I didn't find it hard at all. Supermarket where I'd shop had Tesla SC in the parking lot plus EA 1 mile from work and an SC 18 miles from work but on my commute route.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
112 Posts
It's absolutely mind boggling to me the amount of people who own EVs and are unable to charge them at home. I can't imagine using a Supercharger as a primary source for my car. If Tesla or someone else could figure out how to do apartment EV charging with fees I think they could make an incredible amount of money. Hopefully when there are apartment complexes with enough density of EVs we'll see those sorts of things start to take shape. A parking area with 10+ L2 chargers would be fantastic. ChargePoint, EA, even Tesla, could be the provider and charge fees for the session and energy. So long as it is on par with DCFC pricing or cheaper, the convenience of charging overnight versus sitting in your car for half an hour at some random out of the way place would take a huge burden off the Superchargers.
There are plenty of apartment complexes in L.A. that have rows of L2 wall connectors. The Tesla 3rd Gen HPWC have the ability to be set up to charge (it’s a planned future update for their software to implement).

·
Registered
325 Posts
There are plenty of apartment complexes in L.A. that have rows of L2 wall connectors.
That would be having home charging. I think @LoudMusic meant EV'ers going full commando and living off the land in regard to charging.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of apartment parking that have charging. From what I've seen, maybe 6% in new buildings to zero in older buildings. Many new apartments if built along mass transit lines have no parking. Apartments being higher density are more likely to be built in more urban environments with better mass transit options.

To this topic of Tesla chargers, you'd think Tesla could mfg a Tesla plug to CCS car socket adapter along the lines of the Tesla socket/CCS plug adapter it already makes. Why does Tesla need to go to the work of putting new plugs on the chargers? Selling $200 adapters to the 1.5M current EV's that aren't Teslas would be a quick $250M profit for Tesla with a fast growing market each year. EV charging should be a very profitable business. Tesla's trick would be making it pure PlugNCharge for all different kinds of cars. You wonder why EA didn't go that route. You have subscribe and the charging communication is just between car and charger.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It would be interesting to know the percentage of apartment parking that have charging. From what I've seen, maybe 6% in new buildings to zero in older buildings. Many new apartments if built along mass transit lines have no parking. Apartments being higher density are more likely to be built in more urban environments with better mass transit options.
What is this "mass transit" you speak of :)? That is very East Coast thinking! (I grew up in Lower Merion BTW). In California (and especially L.A.), apartment buildings/communities are everywhere and most have parking and many have dedicated parking spaces. California requires that new construction and major alterations with 10 or more spaces include adding “EV Capable” parking spaces which have electrical panel capacity, a dedicated branch circuit and a raceway to the EV parking spots. The minimum is 6% but it is easier to expand once the initial infrastructure is in place. 1 in 6 vehicles sold in Californian in Q1 2022 had a plug.

To this topic of Tesla chargers, you'd think Tesla could mfg a Tesla plug to CCS car socket adapter along the lines of the Tesla socket/CCS plug adapter it already makes. Why does Tesla need to go to the work of putting new plugs on the chargers? Selling $200 adapters to the 1.5M current EV's that aren't Teslas would be a quick $250M profit for Tesla with a fast growing market each year. EV charging should be a very profitable business. Tesla's trick would be making it pure PlugNCharge for all different kinds of cars. You wonder why EA didn't go that route. You have subscribe and the charging communication is just between car and charger.
That is my guess of what Tesla will do. It's a lot easier for them to create (and make money) from selling a Tesla to CCS adapter than to try to convert even a fraction of the 17k+ charging stalls they currently have in the U.S. I can see them making an adapter that would link up to the App (and your account) so it will automatically bill the account owner once plugged in and the app would show charging/cost/speed/time (as none of their stalls have screens to show any information).

My concern is that all Teslas have the charging port on the rear driver side. The charging cables on the superchargers are very short so they can only reach cars with ports on either rear driver side or front passenger side. As the Rivian has the port on the front driver side, the cable will not reach without straddling two spaces. I am curious if the adapter would be available with an extension to accommodate the charge port on the opposite side. The charge cables are liquid cooled so any extension would need some method to cool as well to keep from overheating.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There will never be an adapter for DCFCs of any kind, it's unsafe and regulations prohibit it.
Regulations prohibit Tesla to CCS but not CCS to Tesla; CCS Combo 1 to CCS Combo 2; CCS Combo 2 to CCS Combo 1 or Chademo to Tesla?

·
Registered
325 Posts
What is this "mass transit" you speak of
In PDX specifically, the MAX trains have been run down the center of major arteries. Apartment buildings next to the new transit lines are allowed to have no parking facilities. It's smart urban planning leading to a building boom of sorely needed apartments with a transport system to serve the residents. Lowers the costs of the buildings, lowering the overall rent and provides new, quick transportation to work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My question is: how did Tesla get permission to install chargers in rest stops on the federal interstate system? Research indicates that “vending machines“ and other commercial usage of rest stops is regulated. I can see the trucking industry seems to be against any chargers in rest stops. I would think any charger installed at an interstate rest stop would have to have the ability to charge all EVs not just one brand. How did Elon get away with it? I’ve written to my federal representatives on the subject (and heard… crickets).

·
Registered
112 Posts
My question is: how did Tesla get permission to install chargers in rest stops on the federal interstate system? Research indicates that “vending machines“ and other commercial usage of rest stops is regulated. I can see the trucking industry seems to be against any chargers in rest stops. I would think any charger installed at an interstate rest stop would have to have the ability to charge all EVs not just one brand. How did Elon get away with it? I’ve written to my federal representatives on the subject (and heard… crickets).
Where do they have chargers on the interstate system?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts