Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the call. I got the link. Im told I could have my truck in “6-8 weeks….but likely 2-3…” but I can’t test drive it?
I got some polite push back from my guide saying he’d “need to put a request in.”

Does this seem off to you? I am their demographic. Solar panels, batteries, travel the world, money to burn….check check check check. Oh also, I’m an actual cash investor! I want to put my ass in a seat, push some buttons, heaven forbid, drive it around the block. My wife would like to see what we’re investing in before we drop the bank.

Am I asking for too much?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don't think it's too much to ask for, but Rivian sure does. I've been trying to get a test ride for nearly a year. Always refused. I've traveled to several cities where drives are taking place, and each time I'm told I will not be allowed to participate.
I don't think it will be too much to ask once they get fully ramped and have more delivery centers rolled out, and all pre-orders filled. That said, I have no idea what Tesla did to accommodate this with scale, as I never had any desire to own a Tesla and never visited a Tesla store.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I don't think it will be too much to ask once they get fully ramped and have more delivery centers rolled out, and all pre-orders filled. That said, I have no idea what Tesla did to accommodate this with scale, as I never had any desire to own a Tesla and never visited a Tesla store.
I recall it being fairly easy to get a Tesla test drive. Although, I don't think I tried until the Model S came out, and that wasn't their first product.

·
Registered
522 Posts
So I got the call. I got the link. Im told I could have my truck in “6-8 weeks….but likely 2-3…” but I can’t test drive it?
I got some polite push back from my guide saying he’d “need to put a request in.”

Does this seem off to you? I am their demographic. Solar panels, batteries, travel the world, money to burn….check check check check. Oh also, I’m an actual cash investor! I want to put my ass in a seat, push some buttons, heaven forbid, drive it around the block. My wife would like to see what we’re investing in before we drop the bank.

The test drive doesn't amount to much. It is 45 minutes in the truck, no accessories to play with. You get what ever configuration they drive up in. It is a 50/50 crap shoot to see if you can test drive it near your home or at a Rivian location of their choosing. So, not sure you are really missing out on a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The test drive doesn't amount to much. It is 45 minutes in the truck, no accessories to play with. You get what ever configuration they drive up in. It is a 50/50 crap shoot to see if you can test drive it near your home or at a Rivian location of their choosing. So, not sure you are really missing out on a lot.
Missing out isnt entirely the point. Its one thing if Im buying a $300 bear mattress with a 100 day warranty it’s entirely different thing when you’re dropping $70k-$90k sight unseen.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Mach E Premium ER AWD
46 Posts
Missing out isnt entirely the point. Its one thing if Im buying a $300 bear mattress with a 100 day warranty it’s entirely different thing when you’re dropping $70k-$90k sight unseen.
Getting seat time in our new Mach E made a huge impact on what we ultimately purchased. We test drove a lower-trim model we intended to purchase and after returning from a short drive saw a higher trim model that made more sense even though it was higher priced. We purchased the higher trim model without hesitation (with ADM to boot :mad:). You can test drive a Tesla or Polstar and you can find Ford, VW, and Chevy dealers that allow you to do a short drive and get hands-on before purchase. I know Rivian models aren't much different inside other than color but salespeople have said for years that once you drive a vehicle it turns shoppers into buyers. I think they should allow hands-on during various events and have models available to perform a short drive at service/sales centers. It's just a good business practice.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Interesting as I thought they were doing the First Mile Drives a bit before you delivery date so you would know what your getting into and remain interested in moving forward but here you are already being offered delivery without that First Mile experience. Honestly just buy it, resell it at a profit if you do not want it when you get it :)

I on the other hand got my First Mile Drive about a month ago but have no idea when I might get an actual vehicle ... all fun with a startup company!

·
Registered
2022 Ford Mach E Premium ER AWD
46 Posts
I on the other hand got my First Mile Drive about a month ago but have no idea when I might get an actual vehicle ... all fun with a startup company!
This startup should be looking at forums of current/future/possible product owners and taking notes.
I know Ford looks at and responds to the Mach E forum since they have reached out to me personally. It was a nice touch to know they are following up on issues and/or comments in a forum. Ford is also stating they want future dealerships/sales locations to have electric models available to test drive and move to all online ordering in the future sales model for electric vehicles. Since Rivian has copied Telsa in so many ways this should be one of the things they embrace right now. Having test vehicles should be standard practice. I don't mind driving a few hundred miles to do that to confirm it's what you want. I thought the first-mile program was that but that hasn't translated into the practice for them. Also, non-reservation holders can't get a test drive either. This is the biggest miss IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts