Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're wondering how durable Rivian's 180 kWh "megapack" battery pack really is, these facts I learned from teslarati will clear up a lot of questions:
  • 80% more energy than Tesla’s flagship Model S and Model X
  • 11,000 lbs towing capacity
  • undisclosed battery supplier
  • holds up to well to extreme conditions
  • battery algorithms for a tailored experience
  • 864 cells
  • cold plate for thermal management
  • 25% denser than any other battery (saving weight)
  • carbon fiber and ‘ballistic shield’ for protection from impacts and weather
  • 400+ miles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since the overall range is so high, I think the hits that are typically seen in extreme temperatures will just have less impact. What could Rivian really have done to prevent this range loss that hasn't been attempted by other automakers already?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the overall range is so high, I think the hits that are typically seen in extreme temperatures will just have less impact. What could Rivian really have done to prevent this range loss that hasn't been attempted by other automakers already?
The only real solution that won't require pissing off company share holders is overshooting range beyond what consumers actually need till more climate friendly technology comes around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Batteries will never fare well in extreme temperatures and even top of the line technology found in e-motorsports is still trying to work around overheating issues. Plenty of people driving their EV's year round, you just have to plan accordingly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts